bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points..

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #256
MCDavis
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
Ok, just ordered an MB03 from Summit. Got a band saw in the shop, so cutting it down shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not doing the work myself, so it'd help if I could provide the new bolts with the rest of the parts, if needed. Any idea if the stock bolts can handle a 1/2" spacer? If not, anybody know what size bolt it is, or where I can find the info online? All I can find are the OEM exploded view diagrams, but they don't have the bolt size.
Anybody?

MCDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #257
greg_kulosa

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If those are the body lift picks, then I think that you mount them on the axle spring pad, rather than using them to space down the jounce cup.

If that's the case, then when I mounted mine up front, I drilled and tapped for a 1/2-13 bolt on the spring pad. The length of the bolt would vary based on the thickness of the puck/bumpstop.
greg_kulosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #258
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_kulosa View Post
If those are the body lift picks, then I think that you mount them on the axle spring pad, rather than using them to space down the jounce cup.

If that's the case, then when I mounted mine up front, I drilled and tapped for a 1/2-13 bolt on the spring pad. The length of the bolt would vary based on the thickness of the puck/bumpstop.
x2. for the rear, the upper frame side bolts are M10. again, length will vary depending on bumpstop length.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #259
MCDavis
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
x2. for the rear, the upper frame side bolts are M10. again, length will vary depending on bumpstop length.
Yes, so if I'm using a 1/2" spacer behind the cup, will the stock bolt work? If not, what size is it so I can get one 1/2" longer?

Or, can I remove the bumper and bolt with the spring in place and just measure it?
MCDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #260
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
Or, can I remove the bumper and bolt with the spring in place and just measure it?
yes you can. thats what I would do for front and rear.
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #261
texas-hooligan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04

yes you can. thats what I would do for front and rear.
So it is possible to add the front and rear bump stop extensions with the coils in place?

I plan to install my RC 2.5" lift on Friday and don't think I can get bs extensions before then.
texas-hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #262
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas-hooligan View Post
So it is possible to add the front and rear bump stop extensions with the coils in place?

I plan to install my RC 2.5" lift on Friday and don't think I can get bs extensions before then.
yes, its possible....provided you've done the setup necessary. for example, attaching front bumpstops requires drilling and taping the spring pad. so as long as you've removed the spring at some point and done that, you can then at a later date shove one 1" bumpstop extension puck at a time into an already installed spring, finger fumble the bolt in and tighten it down.
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #263
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas-hooligan View Post

jks has stackables that can be shoved through the spring, a little pricey tho.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #264
gillettetg

I have this jounce bumper, I was planing to add 1" aluminum pucks to the bottom. Now my question is for this bump stop should I put in a 3" extension and a stock jounce bumper? Or should I be adding a 4" tall puck to the bottom and use a stock jounce bumper?
20121108_192015.jpg  
gillettetg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #265
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillettetg View Post
I have this jounce bumper, I was planing to add 1" aluminum pucks to the bottom. Now my question is for this bump stop should I put in a 3" extension and a stock jounce bumper? Or should I be adding a 4" tall puck to the bottom and use a stock jounce bumper?
toss that poly jounce bumper out and replace with a stock jounce bumper. then push the spring pad up to the cup...add whatever bumpstop extensions is necessary. when testing full bump, make sure to remove the new stock jounce bumper...it will compress into the cup when the suspension cycles on the road.
Unread 11-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #266
JohnlTJ

Firstly this is an awesome thread!!
I'm putting in a set of Old Man Emu 2" lifted springs in my 2006 TJ and the supplier (ARB) is telling me I need to space the gear/transfer down using packers. Is this required for only a 2" lift or just a sales pitch?
I am running stock arms, stock drive shaft, with 225/75/15 BFG's
Thanks in advance!!
JohnlTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #267
herklord
2004 TJ Wrangler 

image-167532004.jpg

This is what the 2" ome looks like with 35s and metalcloaks. You will need a transfer case drop or cv/ds w/ sye. Trust me the vibes are bad even at 2" without pinion angle adjustment. I might even go with adjustable control arms to dial in.
Unread 11-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #268
JohnlTJ

Thanks Herklord, not the answer I was hoping for but so be it. Will fit it all up and see how it goes. Nice Jeep by the way!!
Unread 11-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #269
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnlTJ
Thanks Herklord, not the answer I was hoping for but so be it. Will fit it all up and see how it goes. Nice Jeep by the way!!
FWIW when I put my OME springs in a few years ago I was running stock arms and no t case drop and didn't have vibes.

Throw the springs in and see how it goes.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #270
JohnlTJ

Thanks rchase, was also thinking about doing that and see what it does.

Tags
bump stop , bump stops , bumpstop , bumpstops , shock length

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.