bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points..

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #241
Yellow02
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed View Post
Only if you get shorter shocks.
Oh....... right i didnt think about that

Yellow02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #242
Yellow02
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
do metalcloak fenders have anything to do with the mounting locations of your shocks on the frame?

^this.
No nothing to do with shocks
Yellow02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #243
greg_kulosa

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow02
ok awesome i understand how you got that thank you, now the bumpstop size will decrease since i have metalcloaks right?
If the tire hitting the fender were the only issue, that would be true.

But since you just figured the bumpstop based on your shock length, you are setting the bumpstops up to protect the shocks from bottoming out. The fender clearance does not matter in this case.
greg_kulosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #244
TGLPilot

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Good stuff.
TGLPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #245
bdavis6635
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen it mentioned a couple of times that front bump stop extensions should be mounted on the lower spring perch and rear bump stop extensions should be put in above the cup. Can someone explain why that is and what difference it makes? It would seem as long as the excess distance between the two (based on shock travel) is being taken up by an extension of some type, it wouldn't matter whether it was from the top or the bottom? For whatever reason, adding a spacer of some sort on the spring perch pad (front or rear) seems it would be easier as well as stronger?

Thanks! I'm a relative newb and still trying to digest everything I've been learning here.
bdavis6635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #246
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis6635 View Post
I've seen it mentioned a couple of times that front bump stop extensions should be mounted on the lower spring perch and rear bump stop extensions should be put in above the cup. Can someone explain why that is and what difference it makes? It would seem as long as the excess distance between the two (based on shock travel) is being taken up by an extension of some type, it wouldn't matter whether it was from the top or the bottom? For whatever reason, adding a spacer of some sort on the spring perch pad (front or rear) seems it would be easier as well as stronger?

Thanks! I'm a relative newb and still trying to digest everything I've been learning here.
If you extend the front bump stop above the cup it may hit the spring at full droop.
Unread 03-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #247
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis6635 View Post

Does anyone have any experience with the Fox Racing 2.0 Air bump stop? They are to be used with the Synergy suspension front air bump mounting kit. I am looking to move my shocks outboard and am going to use the Synergy kits that have been mentioned in other threads here but just noticed these on the Quadratec site. Just curious I know they are pricey versus using the correct height bump stop.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16335_2020.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16355_102.htm
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #248
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

FYI: Looks like Crown now sells factory style replacement jounce bumpers for the TJ front and rear, and ZJ front.

Crown Automotive PN 52087636AC
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #249
2004sahara
2004 TJ Wrangler 

is it safe to ask what bump stops are needed for a 2004 wrangler, with 2 inch BDS suspension lift, a 1 inch body lift and 33x10.5r15 (on 5.5 bs ravines). thank you for any help.
Unread 05-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #250
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004sahara View Post
is it safe to ask what bump stops are needed for a 2004 wrangler, with 2 inch BDS suspension lift, a 1 inch body lift and 33x10.5r15 (on 5.5 bs ravines). thank you for any help.
just enough to that the shocks don't bottom out, and so the tires don't rub the steel of the fender.

you have to figure that out by pushing the axle to full bump and full flex, with the springs removed.
Unread 05-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #251
MCDavis
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have a link to an exploded view of the rear spring/bump stop that shows the parts and the bolt size?
MCDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #252
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
Does anyone have a link to an exploded view of the rear spring/bump stop that shows the parts and the bolt size?
i don't have an exploded view CAD image, but I can show you want they look like. bolt size is M10.

The jounce bumper is the soft piece, and the bumpstop cup is what holds it.

the soft jounce bumper will fully compress into the cup:

here's what they look like installed with an aluminum 20mm bumpstop extension:

here's what they look like installed on a 2" BB with 2" bumpstop extension:

Unread 05-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #253
MCDavis
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing (haven't taken one out before) that the cup is bolted to the body. How does the bumper mount in the cup?

What I'm trying to figure out is, for a small bumpstop extension, why couldn't you simply use washers behind the cup to space it down, thereby extending the bumpstop?
Unread 05-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #254
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
I'm guessing (haven't taken one out before) that the cup is bolted to the body. How does the bumper mount in the cup?

What I'm trying to figure out is, for a small bumpstop extension, why couldn't you simply use washers behind the cup to space it down, thereby extending the bumpstop?
Yup, cup is bolt on with a bolt (15mm socket IIRC). The jounce bumper is just stuck in the cup. You can pull it out with a pair of channel locks.

Nothing wrong with using some fat fender washers to extend the bumpstops a little...but they are thin, and it gets expensive & silly to stake a whole bunch of grade 8 fender washers. I use Performance Accessories body lift pucks on my Jeep. They can be had pretty cheap, and you can buy them in up to 3" tall...then measure & cut them to fit. "Mini-Blocks" fit in the rear, and "Big-Blocks" fit in the front.
Unread 05-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #255
MCDavis
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Ok, just ordered an MB03 from Summit. Got a band saw in the shop, so cutting it down shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not doing the work myself, so it'd help if I could provide the new bolts with the rest of the parts, if needed. Any idea if the stock bolts can handle a 1/2" spacer? If not, anybody know what size bolt it is, or where I can find the info online? All I can find are the OEM exploded view diagrams, but they don't have the bolt size.

Tags
bump stop , bump stops , bumpstop , bumpstops , shock length

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.