bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-31-2011, 06:12 AM   #196
90FORDF150
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks! So, if I've already corrected (extended) the bumpstops for my spring/shock setup to prevent them from bottoming out, I can add a 1.25" BL and go up 1" in tire size (31s to 32s) without requiring any further extension to the bumpstops?

90FORDF150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #197
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
Bumpstops are extended for three reasons. Preventing dampers from bottoming out, coil over compression and tire/fender contact.

A bodylift has no bearing on shock or coil compression. For what you're wanting to do, adding a 1" BL gains tire/fender clearance. The upper shock mounts are attached to the frame not the body. Your rear bumpstops will be extended to prevent the shocks from bottoming out, and couldn't care less how high you lift the body off the frame.
this is how a BL can help with shock length/bumpstop.....
with the body raised the rear upper mount can come up through the factory hole 1" reducing the required bumpstop length by 1".
1" is all you can get away with tho.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #198
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey nice pic!
Unread 08-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #199
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90FORDF150 View Post
Thanks! So, if I've already corrected (extended) the bumpstops for my spring/shock setup to prevent them from bottoming out, I can add a 1.25" BL and go up 1" in tire size (31s to 32s) without requiring any further extension to the bumpstops?
Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
with the body raised the rear upper mount can come up through the factory hole 1" reducing the required bumpstop length by 1".
Nice... Why not just OB the dampers?
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #200
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ Cause it was a brand new rust free frame that I didnt want to start hackin on. I would have added another week to my driveway frame swap and THAT could not happen(its my DD).

In the future when I buy another DD and the Tj becomes my toy, then the rear outboarding mod WILL happen. this was just a quick, easy, bolt on solution to gain another inch of uptravel and run 4" shocks on a 2.5" lift spring.(key words-BOLT ON!-)
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #201
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mudb8-when you use the terra brackets like I have, is there any way to relocate the lower mount so that I can use the same 10" travel shock(or mabey a 12"), tuck the lower mount out of the way, and avoid all this talk of shock binding?

Will it actually help to relocate the lower shock mount? Will I gain anything doing that?
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #202
UncleMark98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a related question.
Have 98 Tj w/ 3" Teraflex spring lift, lower UCA's, bumpstops, all installed by PO.
I am replaceing the shocks w/ the Bilstein 5100's, because the ride flat sucks on street bumps, washbaord roads..
I am looking at the 5100 series vehicle specific for “98 Jeep TJ w/ 3” spring lift…
Part #’s 24-185257(FR) BE5-2731-H5, and # 24-185264(R) BE5-2732-H5 are specified for this particular application. FR(C=14.88/E=24") RR(C=14.63/E=23.07).
I was thinking of getting the 4" lift application shocks for additional downtravel and adding additional bumpstops to protect the shock B/O. 4" shocks FR(C=14.98/E=24.63) RR(C=15.41/E=25)..
Therefore the additinal difference in travel is FR=+.53" RR=+1.15".
Comments please...
UncleMark98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #203
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well you'd be losing an 1"+ of uptravel in the rear. That's a personal question. I wouldnt want to loose ANY uptravel cause thats just 1 more inch soaking up the bumps and washboard that your driving over.

IF you had a BL then you could run the Tera uppers in the pic above and not have to change your BS's at all.
Unread 09-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #204
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So is that pic by Mud8 showing the terra upper mount? If so, does anyone know if it fits ranch 9k shocks. I'm way over due for new shocks and would like to know if it that mount would fit and articulate fine. I guess I'd have to find the equivalent Ranch # for a non bar-pin style shock if it works? 1" would be great for me.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #205
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah the pic is of the Tera relocators. You have to run at least a 1" BL to run the relocators. In the pic mud posted I had to grind the "washer" off the skyjacker shock body that the dust boot hooks to so that the shock could move freely around the inside of th bracket.

IDK about the Rancho's but I just ordered Skyjacker Hydros for a 4" TJ lift and put the bushings in but not the bar pins. It is nice to have the extra 1" of uptravel from a BOLT ON bracket.
Unread 10-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #206
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post

What kit is that? I have a busted bar pin in the rear of my Heep because the previous owner decided to remove the bumpstops all the way around for some reason...

I started another thread about bump stops trying to learn some more information, and got directed to this thread.

Here's what I'm running currently:

4" short arm lift, plus 3" body lift, Smittybilt tube fenders front and rear, D30 front, and 8.8 rear, 35x12.50 tires.

I want to run the Rancho 9000XL shocks all the way around, and I was planning on basing my purchase based on Savvy's websight recomendations. I'm fairly certain I'm going to need shock shifters for the rear axle, and I currently only have the factory Bells/Cups that the bump stops are supposed to be installed into.

Is that enough info for you to make a recomendation on shock lengths, and bump stop lengths? I would like to achieve maximum up and down travel for both axles, and I've got quite a bit of clearance front and rear already.

Thanks for the help!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #207
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I guess everyone unsubscribed from this thread???
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #208
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
What kit is that?
did you read the post directly above yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
Yeah the pic is of the Tera relocators. You have to run at least a 1" BL to run the relocators. In the pic mud posted I had to grind the "washer" off the skyjacker shock body that the dust boot hooks to so that the shock could move freely around the inside of th bracket.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #209
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I knew he was trying to give you something to do.

ftgiles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #210
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
No, sorry, this thread is very confusing, I've tried to read through it a couple of times, but so many people were bickering that I gave up. I just need some bump stops, my Jeep doesn't have any at all right now thanks to the previous owner. I'm running a 4" suspension lift, with a 3" body lift, and tube fenders front and rear, so I have plenty of tire to fender clearance. The shocks I'm running right now appear to have about 3.5 to 4" of up travel before bottoming out, and the drivers side rear bar pin broke and the shock is just bangining around right now. I want to fix the rear shock upper mount, and prevent it from breaking again. The pic I commented on looked like it would give me a bit more up travel in the rear.

I started another bump stop thread, and was directed here and for me to delete my thread, so that's what I did.

I'm not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars on bump stops, I just want to get some to help protect my bar pins from breaking. But better bar pins or upgrades to them interests me as well.

Tags
bump stop , bump stops , bumpstop , bumpstops , shock length

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.