bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points..

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #166
jamesmanis
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looking for a good brand for the front. I found these bump stop spacers. I assume we are talking about something like this for the front

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_1119.htm

1999 TJ, 3.25" lift on 33"x12/50" Goodyear MTR
2002 Harley VRod 114hp at the wheel
jamesmanis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #167
05xwrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
Probably get 4" springs and correct length shocks will help alot. But at 4" you kinda at the max of the stock control arms(Length wise) Plus you'll probably have to do either a t-case drop or an SYE/CV shaft to clear up any vibrations. If I were you I'd runa 1.25" bodylift and a set of 2.5" or 3" lift springs. Keeps everything so much simpler and closer to stock geometry. But I'm not a pro. Look to the Zone Offroad 4.25" combo kit(I ran it in the past and loved it) its a 1.25" BL and 3" suspension lift + a Motor mount lift all in one package. It rides dang well too.
I think i might get that kit. Did you run into any problems with it or have to order extra parts? Thanks
05xwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #168
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nope. I didnt order anything extra and it rode EXCELLENT, which was a huge + for me as my Tj is my DD. I went the the Nitros cause the streets around here are really rough and i wheel 3-4 weekends a month. If your going to mainly DD your ride go with the Hydros. It is an excellent kit for a great price man......You'll love it.
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #169
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Also The Boogieman put a set 3/4" front spacers on when he did his combo lift and he runs 35's. But since i have the 4cyl i went with 33x10.50's.
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #170
unlimited06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmanis View Post
Looking for a good brand for the front. I found these bump stop spacers. I assume we are talking about something like this for the front

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_1119.htm
Is it my imagination or did Q-tech forget to list how long these bump stops are ? Do they think people are gonna' blindly buy sets of these like playing the lottery ?
unlimited06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #171
jamesmanis
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited06 View Post
Is it my imagination or did Q-tech forget to list how long these bump stops are ? Do they think people are gonna' blindly buy sets of these like playing the lottery ?
I asked them on the online support and the guy didn't even know the length

My question was really asking is this the type of product not that brand for the front.

1999 TJ, 3.25" lift on 33"x12/50" Goodyear MTR
2002 Harley VRod 114hp at the wheel
jamesmanis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #172
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

the fk16 bumpstop spacer is the rear upper, close to 7/8" tall, which is insufficient length for the 2" track bar extension, coil bind, and n67 shocks.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #173
rogerschrisj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Mud8, this is a great thread. Especially for newbies like me. I would like to run 33x12.5x15 tires on my 97tj Sahara. Right now it is bone stock. I was looking at the rough country 2.5" suspension lift to accomplish this. After reading your thread I am worried about two things. I don't want to unseat my coil springs. I also don't want to change anything else on my jeep other than the springs, shocks and bump stops (to keep the wheels out of the fender). I don't mind loosing the uptravel, I do want to get as much down travel as possible though. Do you think if I ran the RC 2.5" suspension lift with the correct length bump stops and limit straps to prevent the coil from unseating I could accomplish what I want and still keep everything else stock on my jeep? Or would you suggest another route? Thanks in advance.
Chris
rogerschrisj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #174
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerschrisj View Post
Hey Mud8, this is a great thread. Especially for newbies like me. I would like to run 33x12.5x15 tires on my 97tj Sahara. Right now it is bone stock. I was looking at the rough country 2.5" suspension lift to accomplish this. After reading your thread I am worried about two things. I don't want to unseat my coil springs. I also don't want to change anything else on my jeep other than the springs, shocks and bump stops (to keep the wheels out of the fender). I don't mind loosing the uptravel, I do want to get as much down travel as possible though. Do you think if I ran the RC 2.5" suspension lift with the correct length bump stops and limit straps to prevent the coil from unseating I could accomplish what I want and still keep everything else stock on my jeep? Or would you suggest another route? Thanks in advance.
Chris
"correct length" RC shocks won't unseat the coils....... RC front shocks require 1.25" bumpstops however without a 1" BL you need at least 2" bumpstop extensions.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #175
rogerschrisj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick reply. When you say "correct length" shocks (I'm assuming from your chart that would be a 25.5"shock), do you mean the ones that come with the kit or a different shock? I was planning on just running the shocks that are included with the kit. So, if I run the "correct length" shocks will that eliminated the use of limit straps? I won't be doing a body lift. Maybe some fender mods in the future when I regear and move up to a bigger tire. I also do not plan on relocating my shock mounts. What do you think?
rogerschrisj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #176
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

When talking about down travel/droop and springs unseating, how much droop should be allowed for? That is my front RE springs are 19" uncompressed, 15.5" at ride height, should they be setup for down travel so that they just barely become loose, fully uncompressed, or up to .5" or some other amount of looseness?
jr03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #177
negreac
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey mudb8 I was hoping you could help me on the system I am currently piecing together. I've read through multiple pages and I think i know what I need and also think I may have already bought some stuff which may hinder me

So here was the plan:

http://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RS6505-Suspension-System/dp/B000CPCCUY/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I13TJND1TY3VGV&colid=22EFYPAUE0AZG(Looks like this is actually the same kit you have)
http://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RS19255-RS9000XL-Pro-Shock/dp/B000CP8G3G/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I28382HWC0BFSM&colid=22EFYPAUE0AZG
http://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RS19256-RS9000XL-Pro-Shock/dp/B000VTVZU4/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3GN1E9X0ORCQ9&colid=22EFYPAUE0AZG
Rancho RS6416 & RS6417 a.k.a. thier Rubicon/3" springs (Should help make up for all the armor I am adding)

Pretty much the same shock/spring/lift combo as the guy on this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ra...-lift-1193164/

JKS Bar Pin Eliminators Front & Rear
Currie Rear Shock Mount Relocation
S.Y.E. and CV Driveshaft
Tummy Tuck by Extreme Metal Performance
1" Raised Gas Tank Skid by Extreme Metal Performance
M.O.R.E. 1" Body Lift and Motor Mount Lift
WJ Front Knuckles/Brakes/Tie Rod/Drag Link
BFG Mud Terrain KM2 33" x12.5" x 15"

I think about covers everything that would affect my suspension.

So based purely on shock travel alone (13.1" front and 12.5" rear stock) I would need an additional 2.775" up front and 2.625 in the rear. Now with the JKS bar pin eliminators I believe they add about an additional .5"meaning I would end up around 3.275" in the front and 3.125" in the rear. I'm not sure how the relocators will affect the rear. I also don't know if I will need adjustable upper arms for the rear. Any help is appreciated here. Also I know this all seems a bit long for my lift but I eventually will probably go with a 3.5 to 4" lift (probably just some different springs) and upgrade to 35" tires when I get enough cash to upgrade my axles. Also I;m not too sure about the rear track bar relocation bracket this kit comes with. It seems too much like a band aid.
Unread 07-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #178
negreac
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Also if my calculations are correct I appear to have 2 options for bump stops. My cups are gone BTW.

Option #1 is to get both the front and rear Currie kits (Not sure if these are large enough)
Currie Front Bump Stop Kit (CE-9122F)
Currie Rear Bump Stop Kit (CE-9122R)

Option # 2 is to get 4 of the lower Currie spacers (2") and Daystar uppers (2.5" long - not sure how much longer this is than the stock cup)
Currie Lower Spacers (CE-9122F4)
Daystar Upper Bump Stops (KU09037BK)

There's also the option of using the 2 or 3 inch lower spacer from RE I suppose.
Unread 07-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #179
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by negreac View Post
Hey mudb8 I was hoping you could help me on the system I am currently piecing together. I've read through multiple pages and I think i know what I need and also think I may have already bought some stuff which may hinder me

So here was the plan:

Rancho RS6505 Short Arm Kit (Looks like this is actually the same kit you have)
Rancho Pro Series Front Shocks (RS19255- 15.875"-25.875" - 10" of Travel)

Rancho Pro Series Rear Shocks (RS19256 - 15.125"-24" - 8.875" of Travel)

Rancho RS6416 & RS6417 a.k.a. thier Rubicon/3" springs (Should help make up for all the armor I am adding)

Pretty much the same shock/spring/lift combo as the guy on this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ra...-lift-1193164/

JKS Bar Pin Eliminators Front & Rear
Currie Rear Shock Mount Relocation
S.Y.E. and CV Driveshaft
Tummy Tuck by Extreme Metal Performance
1" Raised Gas Tank Skid by Extreme Metal Performance
M.O.R.E. 1" Body Lift and Motor Mount Lift
WJ Front Knuckles/Brakes/Tie Rod/Drag Link
BFG Mud Terrain KM2 33" x12.5" x 15"

I think about covers everything that would affect my suspension.

So based purely on shock travel alone (13.1" front and 12.5" rear stock) I would need an additional 2.775" up front and 2.625 in the rear. Now with the JKS bar pin eliminators I believe they add about an additional .5"meaning I would end up around 3.275" in the front and 3.125" in the rear. I'm not sure how the relocators will affect the rear. I also don't know if I will need adjustable upper arms for the rear. Any help is appreciated here. Also I know this all seems a bit long for my lift but I eventually will probably go with a 3.5 to 4" lift (probably just some different springs) and upgrade to 35" tires when I get enough cash to upgrade my axles. Also I;m not too sure about the rear track bar relocation bracket this kit comes with. It seems too much like a band aid.
15.8 front collapsed length shocks need 2.25" min. 2.5"max bumpstop extension.

the 15" collapsed rears are gonna need closer to 4" extension unless you relocate the rear mounts out and down... if you are refering to currie ce9601 shock relocation brackets the bumpstop extension will be even more I would NOT use them...

Now, if you think the rear track bar relocation is a bandaid, think again.. the relocation bracket raises the roll center and prevents the track bar from binding on the axle bracket. I would brace the axle bracket especially if it's gonna see some hard wheeling, a pavement pounder will never experience a problem.

the rancho/rubi springs will yeild you closer to 3" lift and won't need adjustable ca's if you use a t-case drop. mine was fine with the rubi t-case without the case drop, it did however have a minor vibration. I put a 1350 high angle CV and Nth Degree TT to fix that, I refuse to loose ground clearance.

put the Polly bumpstops out of your head, they are too stiff and too long, use factory rubber bumps with a the proper height axle mounted extension like the currie, the rear extensions are ok to mount between the bumpstop bell and tower.
WHY aren't you using a SAVVY fuel tank/belly skid?

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 07-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #180
negreac
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I can't believe the shocks Rancho recommends for these kits are this long. A 4" bumpstop seems pretty crazy. I don't imagine in the bumpstop spacers they send in the kit are anywhere near this long. I was really trying to avoid having to do any welding for the time being. Any other options I have and still use this length of shock? Perhaps the teraflex upper mounts instead of the bar pins. Won't I hit the spring perch with my shocks without the extension or relocating the entire mount? Is there any way I can avoid this without cutting off and welding new mounts?

Honestly I had never heard of the savvy skid till now. EMP at the time seemed relatively nice and affordable.

Tags
bump stop , bump stops , bumpstop , bumpstops , shock length

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.