Bumpstops ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bumpstops ??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
nevadamike
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bumpstops ??

Ok so i did the search thing and think I got the info that I needed but i want to double check. I'm getting a black diamond 3in lift from a guy on here, there is no bumpstops with it. Now i know I'll need them if I get bigger tires but for right now, I'm just going to stay with my 245/75/16's that are on it since there still pretty new. So if I stay with my tires that I have now, am I going to need the bumpstops right now?

Mike

nevadamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I personally wouldn't worry about the extended bump stops. When I installed the 2" BB in mine and put in the longer bumpstops I eventually had to cut them back to the original length because it kept bottoming out on them. I now have a 6" Long Arm lift and still have the factory lenght bumpstops and have no problems. There is a company in quadratech that makes some that fit over the shock piston that look like a pretty good set-up, I would maybe look into those.
elkfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
VinoTJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would put your lift on, disconnect the front sway bar and see if your tires will hit the flare at fulll stuff (in your driveway/parking lot - not on the trail).

I have OME 2.5 + 1"BL with 33x11.5 and I think I have too much bumpstop. I think you will be fine - but best to check it out before damaging your fenders on the trail.
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
airframer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i have a 3.5 lift with 33's i never installed the bumpstops due to the shop on base closing, i have never had a problem
airframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
nevadamike
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info guys. Airframer where you stationed at?
Unread 05-16-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
blacksheep1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

what concerns me about running without bumpstops would be that every time you bottom out your shocks all the impact will be against your shock mounts instead of the much heavier duty axle to frame bumpstops. i am facing the same issue as i recently got new shocks that are a bit longer than what most would run with my lift. i did this so that i will have massive droop. i wheel pretty slow for the most part and dont need the compression. plus this will allow me to run a larger tire with less lift.

just my $.02

MINE 1999 TJ sport, HERS 2004 KJ Renegade and 2005 Rubicon
Wind Tunnel Tested . . . FAILED
blacksheep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #7
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

nevadamike

You will see many opinions on wether you need to install bumpstops. Some will say that if you don't rub your tires on your flairs - that you do not need them.

Proper bumpstops help protect from completely compressing your coils. Completely compressing your springs will def shorten thier life and eventually ruin them. Some people will advise you that it does not matter, because they are doing it (or thier friend told them they were doing it). It is about more than how your tires stuff or what someone has gotten by with.

It's all about choices. Some are good, then again some not so good. Do what you feel is best for you and your rig. I would run the bumpstops.
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
nevadamike
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy
nevadamike

You will see many opinions on wether you need to install bumpstops. Some will say that if you don't rub your tires on your flairs - that you do not need them.

Proper bumpstops help protect from completely compressing your coils. Completely compressing your springs will def shorten thier life and eventually ruin them. Some people will advise you that it does not matter, because they are doing it (or thier friend told them they were doing it). It is about more than how your tires stuff or what someone has gotten by with.

It's all about choices. Some are good, then again some not so good. Do what you feel is best for you and your rig. I would run the bumpstops.

Thanks that was very helpfull.
Unread 05-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
airframer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i am stationed in fort worth texas at nasjrb
Unread 05-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
nevadamike
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I'm at NAS Fallon NV
Unread 05-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #11
nevadamike
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Where can I find a decent set of bumpstops at online? If no one around the forum is selling a set.
Unread 05-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #12
airframer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

no doubt man so im assumin ur in the navy, if u want i have the kit from re for my 3.5 lift, u can hve them for a small fee
Unread 05-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #13
nevadamike
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ya I'm in the Navy for about 8 more months then I get my parole papers. How much is a small fee shipped to 89408?
Unread 05-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #14
airframer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i ll find out but how much u wanna spend, 20-25
Unread 05-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #15
nevadamike
1999 TJ Wrangler 

IS that the complete set front and back?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.