Bumpers Chipping? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bumpers Chipping?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 04-19-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
Sahara Matt
Sahara in Disguise

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bumpers Chipping?

I bought Warn front and rear bumpers about 2 years ago. They have already started to chip and in parts turning a nice rust color. Any way to help this problem other than covering with spray paint. Because I only need it on little areas. If I spray painted it would get on parts of the bumper that are fine and streak and run etc..

MY Poor mans paint job and herc, az- rockers, plus flush mount cirlce taillights

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...uliner-560064/
Sahara Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
roofdown

That's the rub w/ powdercoating. I learned the hard way not to buy powdercoated parts (if possible). My rocker guards were powdercoated and they started to chip, flake, and rust after about 2 mos....now I have to remove, strip and paint...grrrrr.

Black Jeep Club v2.0 Member #88
roofdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
05darkness

Just a thought, i used this stuff by Rustoleum called hammer finish paint and it just brushes on, or you can get the rattle can version at any hardware store. It gives a nice looking finish thats real unique and doesnt even look brushed on. Plus i put it on my rocker guards after i had them fabbed and it wont fade, crack or chip and its a rust inhibitor. Looks mean i get compliments on it all the time with people wondering what i used because it looks so good.

Just a thought
05darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
Sahara Matt
Sahara in Disguise

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks I might try that. Its not that bad but it just makes me upset. Its on the parts with corners and where the "W''s are laser out of the bumper. The powder is flaked and showing the nice brown. Should I touch up or just strip all and repaint and just get it over with?

MY Poor mans paint job and herc, az- rockers, plus flush mount cirlce taillights

Unread 04-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
05darkness

To be honest it says right on the can you can paint right over rust, i would sand it lightly and if the pits arent deep just paint over it ,it seals it up stopping further deterioration. Its kind of like PAR 15. This stuff takes a real beating, and still looks brand new i swear by it i think you can find pics of what the finish looks like at their website, and it comes in a wide variety of colors, i live and work on and by the ocean and it works great not a spec of reoccuring rust.
Unread 04-19-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
Sahara Matt
Sahara in Disguise

1997 TJ Wrangler 

You the man. Getting some after work. Is it 5 yet?

Unread 04-19-2006, 03:13 PM   #7
05darkness

Cool glad to help, i got mine at Lowes, i think home depot and most larger stores carry it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.