is this bumper winch deal good? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > is this bumper winch deal good?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
bremz8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

is this bumper winch deal good?

Rock Hammer Jeep Front Bumper -

Tube Work: Winch Height Hoop
Finish: Bare Steel
Winch Fairlead Mount: No Fairlead Mount
Steering Box Skid: No Steering Box Skid
Clevis Shackles: Add Two 3/4" Clevis Shackles

= $375.00
http://www.shrockworks.com/product.php?productid=16138

Ramsey REP 8.5E Winch
8500 lb. Non-Integrated Solenoid Winch
Selected options:
Remote: Wireless & Wired Remotes
Rope: Synthetic Amsteel Blue - 5/16x100ft.
Fairlead: ShrockWorks Aluminum - Natural

= $796.00

http://www.shrockworks.com/product.php?productid=16195

thanks

bremz8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
bremz8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

bump, trying to buy this tonight ty sry for being impatient
Unread 06-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

that style bumper can be found cheaper, and a warn winch of same stats is lot cheaper

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnemovr View Post
that style bumper can be found cheaper, and a warn winch of same stats is lot cheaper
It's not a regular tube bumper.. it's formed and has a larger top plate for the winch. It also has a winch guard. Not only that, I've seen Shrockworks stuff and it's very strong and well built. $375 seems fair to me.

The winch however.. if you want something cheap maybe try the Warn M8000? They can be had for about $600 or cheaper on sale.

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

if i can get this bumper for $325 new, i know he can do better cause mine has the same style winch plate,

Unread 06-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
PyroXian
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnemovr View Post
A Warn winch with 100' of amsteel blue and an aluminum hawse fairlead for cheaper than that... I doubt that very much. I think if you look at the specs on the bumper it's substantially beefier than most that are similar in style also. 1/4" v. the typical 3/16". Factor in the integrated winch mount & I think it's a decent deal... maybe not great but certainly decent.
Take a look at this link before you pull the trigger though
http://www.winchline.com/winch.htm
They offer superwinch v. ramsey, but price is similar for the same setup (synth & aluminum) ... the comparison at the bottom of that page paints a picture of the superwinch that is very favorable when compared to several other big name winches... Or spend a couple hundred more & get a Warn.
PyroXian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
bigchevyman24
2000 WJ 

That's actually not too bad on the winch bumper. I want something similar and the cheapest I could find it was around $200 without the winch plate and that was on ebay. I wanted to do this, but lack on welding skills: http://www.rokmen.com/products/diy_f...nt_bumper.html

SOLD: 2000 WJ 2WD CONVERTED TO 4X4, 97 TJ ON 35'S, 95 XJ ON 33'S
bigchevyman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #8
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroXian View Post
A Warn winch with 100' of amsteel blue and an aluminum hawse fairlead for cheaper than that... I doubt that very much. I think if you look at the specs on the bumper it's substantially beefier than most that are similar in style also. 1/4" v. the typical 3/16". Factor in the integrated winch mount & I think it's a decent deal... maybe not great but certainly decent.
Take a look at this link before you pull the trigger though
http://www.winchline.com/winch.htm
They offer superwinch v. ramsey, but price is similar for the same setup (synth & aluminum) ... the comparison at the bottom of that page paints a picture of the superwinch that is very favorable when compared to several other big name winches... Or spend a couple hundred more & get a Warn.
i missed the Synthetic Amsteel Blue line, so winch yes thats a good deal, but i still think bumper seems high considering i payed less for mine and it has the same intergrated winch plate and a full stinger

Unread 06-26-2008, 05:40 AM   #9
phonewiz
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Bremz8...You can get a very similar front bumper from Eddie at Ground Pounder for probably less then $300.00. Email Eddie a picture of the bumper you like and he can make it custom to have any option you want. website: www.groundpounderfab.com email: groundpounderfab@verizon.net
Unread 06-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
bremz8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the replys very helpful. on the ramsey winch i chose the 8500 cuz its little more than i need and it was the cheapest listed ramsey winch i found. i have a small crush on ramsey winches from my last winch, bought it new in 1986 and still pulls out my toyota tundra. i checked out the ground pounderfab and that looks promising just wondering can he have mount points for a winch added and a winch height grill guard?
thanks again!
Unread 06-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bremz8 View Post
thanks for all the replys very helpful. on the ramsey winch i chose the 8500 cuz its little more than i need and it was the cheapest listed ramsey winch i found. i have a small crush on ramsey winches from my last winch, bought it new in 1986 and still pulls out my toyota tundra. i checked out the ground pounderfab and that looks promising just wondering can he have mount points for a winch added and a winch height grill guard?
thanks again!
ramesy winches are notoriously slow. Check out T-Max and Warn. T-Max's are a lot cheaper than Warn, but don't have the lifetime warranty, and have been known to destroy itself before thermally shutting off. Warn on the other hand has been known to thermally shut off before the job is finished, and before the motor gets 'all that hot'. you want a winch rated for twice the vehicle weight...so if your TJ weights 4000lbs, you want an 8000lbs winch. Snatch blocks can be used to double the winches capacity.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.