Bumper tire carrier breakage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bumper tire carrier breakage

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
ATLTempe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bumper tire carrier breakage

So a fellow Jeeper drops by and we're discussing my TJ build. I mentioned that I had ordered a new bumper/tire carrier for my rig and he strongly suggested that I not do it. His point was that no matter how robust the pivot on the carrier was built the bumper would eventually crack around the welds. A quick search of the forum didn't come up with anything. Any input?

ATLTempe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
ftgiles

Here's some points to consider when talking to a "Fab Guy" when their "will never break design" is all about "bigger and heavier".

Just look at the first post in this thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/br...rrier-1110894/

http://blog.comp4x4.com/

http://www.comp4x4.com/instructions/Dual-shear-tire-carrier-hinge-kit-installation-03.pdf
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTempe View Post
So a fellow Jeeper drops by and we're discussing my TJ build. I mentioned that I had ordered a new bumper/tire carrier for my rig and he strongly suggested that I not do it. His point was that no matter how robust the pivot on the carrier was built the bumper would eventually crack around the welds. A quick search of the forum didn't come up with anything. Any input?
lots of people prefer the tub mounted tire carriers.

many say the frame & crossmember itself are flexing slightly, even with frame tie-ins...with the leverage of a tire carrier, 1mm of flex at the frame turns into 1" at the tire.

I used to have a bumper/tire carrier combo, it weighed 120lbs. i sold it because I couldn't stop it from rattling against the tailgate, even with much bumperette work. I now run a tub mounted tire carrier and don't even know its back there.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Dabbill
2005 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=RTC3200

This is what i will likely go with.
Dabbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Lawrence

This is nice and it would help prevent the spindle from breaking off, but I think it should be used in conjuction with upper tie-ins to reduce the leverage on that single pivot point. Mine is failing both at the spindle area and also at the crossmember mounting area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I used to have a bumper/tire carrier combo, it weighed 120lbs. i sold it because I couldn't stop it from rattling against the tailgate, even with much bumperette work.
The one I had on the TJ put a nice dent in the tailgate and the one on the LJ is failing miserably as noted above.

Quote:
I now run a tub mounted tire carrier and don't even know its back there.
I am leaning toward the T&T tub mounted one but some things bug me about it. The other option would be the Hanson hybrid combo with has an upper hinge and rollbar tie-ins
web.jpg  
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I am leaning toward the T&T tub mounted one but some things bug me about it. The other option would be the Hanson hybrid combo with has an upper hinge and rollbar tie-ins

There might be a "good" bumper-mounted spare-tire carrier but there are so many bad ones. And most of the bad ones come from some "fab guy's" garage or only cost $500 (Olympic or Smittybuilt). If it's going to work it's going to be double-sheer at the spindle, just for starters.

I would never run a bumper mounted spare!

Then you've got guys that think if it's body mounted then it's some trickery and hours of time that keeps them from opening their tailgate.

OR-Fab has an outstanding, easy-to-open body-mounted tire carrier.

AEV has an outstanding double-sheer spindle bumper setup that is also attached to the tailgate that has the design features that could work, but that's a JK offering.

Hanson also has something similar (double sheer/body mounted) for a TJ that could work, but it's not a nice looking setup, which Hanson is normally known for.

The biggest thing that people don't pay enough attention to is the departure angle of the tire. Using the tire as a skid is really hard on any carrier. So forget about the low-hanging-tire setups to begin with.

And does one really need a can carrier making the departure angle even worse? Keep it high and tight.
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Speed94
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I run a BESRK bumper and carrier...no issues yet. Not even a rattle when going over bumps at speed.
97 TJ PD club member #007
Speed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles View Post
There might be a "good" bumper-mounted spare-tire carrier but there are so many bad ones.
I would never run a bumper mounted spare!
Mine was supposed to be a "good" one, oh well. I agree on the preference to run a tub mounted one, but the choices are slim.

Quote:
OR-Fab has an outstanding, easy-to-open body-mounted tire carrier.
I have seen it on several occasions and I think it is a really good carrier. Unfortunately, the mounting bracket seems to be in the way if you have flush mounted LEDs and it appears that it may not work in this case.

Quote:
Hanson also has something similar (double sheer/body mounted) for a TJ that could work, but it's not a nice looking setup, which Hanson is normally known for.
Hanson's seems to be the best alternative to a tub mounted one. They claim their redesigned version is much more reliable than before with the upper hinge now tied into the rollbar on the pivot side, and a new upper latch on the left side. Here is a pic from forum member TheDragonfly

Unread 07-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Necko2529
Surfing JF Since '04

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ftgiles. What are you running, neighbour ?

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

RIP "Prescott 19" Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The biggest thing that people don't pay enough attention to is the departure angle of the tire. Using the tire as a skid is really hard on any carrier. So forget about the low-hanging-tire setups to begin with.
In retrospect, this is something I wish I had put more thought into. If you often do real steep climbs then keep in mind that tire is gonna hit.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mine is failing both at the spindle area and also at the crossmember mounting area.
yup, I expected this when I built my bumper mounted tire carrier. I welded the spindle through both sides of the tube - top and bottom. It was very solid to the bumper. Still couldn't eliminate the flexing of the upper frame into and away from the tailgate though....

Quote:
Hanson's seems to be the best alternative to a tub mounted one.
yea, those look sweet. too bad they're soooo expensive.

Quote:
I've seen some nice tire carrier skids that mount into the receiver hitch. Myself, I just slide in a hitch. I don't care if I bash the heck out of a hitch sliding off a rock Heck, I've been known to drag my hitch mounted bike rack on trails, with my mountain bike on it.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
Lawrence

Quote:
It was very solid to the bumper. Still couldn't eliminate the flexing of the upper frame into and away from the tailgate though....
I know, garbage. I'll have mine rewelded and then it's off to CL.

Quote:
yea, those look sweet. too bad they're soooo expensive.
Not that expensive if you consider the price of an Or-Fab or T&T tub mounted carrier and the addition of a nice rear bumper. Pretty much in the same league price-wise, unless you build your own.
Unread 07-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post
Ftgiles. What are you running, neighbour ?
At the risk of sounding like I'm plugging the one that I have, therfore it's the best, I refuse to answer.

Quote:
Not that expensive if you consider the price of an Or-Fab or T&T tub mounted carrier and the addition of a nice rear bumper. Pretty much in the same league price-wise, unless you build your own.
If you really start looking and thinking about the Hanson setup, it's pratically a body-mounted carrier. So why involve the bumper?

Plus the tire is 2" lower when mounted on the Hanson setup vs. the OR-Fab setup and 3" lower if you run a 1" body lift.
Unread 07-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I couldn't stop it from rattling against the tailgate, even with much bumperette work.
You shouldn't have to extend those rubber bumpers on the tailgate if your tire carrier latches properly, and is strong.
Unread 07-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #15
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting, I copied Besrks bumper/tire carrier design and it don't squeak, rattle or shake. The spindle is in a sleeve so it's not welded at the top so if it breaks it's not going to be due to a weld weakening the spindle.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.