Bumper, steering box, *crash* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bumper, steering box, *crash*

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Bumper, steering box, *crash*

Well, some dweeb was arguing with his brothers as he approached me the other way, and suddenly decided he needed to turn onto the cross street we were both approaching. Across my lane. As I was entering the intersection. CRASH!

I'm okay, and a witness verified to the cops and to my insurance company that he ran the red light in his turn lane, but the right front of my Jeep took a big whack and my bumper is toast, my fender a bit beat up, and my steering box... well, the pinion broke right off when the right front tire hit the other car, my drag link is just hanging there under my Jeep (explains why I couldn't steer it out of the intersection afterward!).

Soooo.... it looks like I'm going to get a new bumper and steering box out of this deal (and the crinkles pulled out of my right front finder, and a new fender flare, and a couple of new lights). Anybody have suggestions? The OEM bumper is cheap ($120 or so) and that's all the insurance will pay for, but I'll pay extra for a little better. Steering box... the OEM is $800! So clearly I can buy anything there and pocket the difference, or, rather, apply it to my bumper . But which of the aftermarket ones is actually reliable?

Siiiigh! I *hate* it when I'm mod'ing my Jeep on someone *else's* schedule, not my own...

badtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Oh goodie...buy a rebuilt Durango box cheap at NAPA or something and spend the rest on fun stuff

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

x2 for a reman durango box. You also should get them to pay for a new steering setup (stock of course... the gernaded box destroyed the steering), and upgrade that too.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If it's his fault his insurance is paying for it, not yours, so why are you so worried. His insurance is supposed to fix you jeep like it was new, meaning a brand new fender and paint, new bumper and paint, new flare, new lights, new steering box, get a few estimates from some expensive auto body places and make his insurance give you a check, and then use the money as you see fit. Just the a factory fender and paint alone should be enough for tube fenders.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

So is the reman Durango box better than a PSC box? Or just cheaper? And I'm wary of buying any rebuilt stuff from the cheap places like Advance or Autozone, in my experience the people who "rebuild" the steering boxes for those places do so as cheaply as possible and it rarely lasts more than a year. I've decidedly had better luck from NAPA, hmm, it does look like they have that Durango steering box for around $250...

Uhm, Rogue, if I wait for his insurance to pay, it'll be months before my Jeep is fixed. How we work it here is that State Farm is going to pay under collision/uninsured motorist coverage, then go after his insurance (if he has any) to get reimbursed, at which point I get back my deductible (if he actually had insurance -- yeah, he had a piece of paper, but anybody can have a piece of paper). That way I get my Jeep fixed within a couple of weeks, it's my daily driver, I'm in a rental until it's fixed. So I have to work within State Farm's rules, where their dude looks at all the stuff we have to replace, and gives us a number based on what their book says new replacement parts will cost and how much labor it takes. Then we (me and the shop) figure out what we actually going to do with that lump of money that State Farm is going to give us .
Unread 03-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post
So is the reman Durango box better than a PSC box? Or just cheaper? And I'm wary of buying any rebuilt stuff from the cheap places like Advance or Autozone, in my experience the people who "rebuild" the steering boxes for those places do so as cheaply as possible and it rarely lasts more than a year. I've decidedly had better luck from NAPA, hmm, it does look like they have that Durango steering box for around $250...

Uhm, Rogue, if I wait for his insurance to pay, it'll be months before my Jeep is fixed. How we work it here is that State Farm is going to pay under collision/uninsured motorist coverage, then go after his insurance (if he has any) to get reimbursed, at which point I get back my deductible (if he actually had insurance -- yeah, he had a piece of paper, but anybody can have a piece of paper). That way I get my Jeep fixed within a couple of weeks, it's my daily driver, I'm in a rental until it's fixed. So I have to work within State Farm's rules, where their dude looks at all the stuff we have to replace, and gives us a number based on what their book says new replacement parts will cost and how much labor it takes. Then we (me and the shop) figure out what we actually going to do with that lump of money that State Farm is going to give us .
That is the stupid way to go (I am working off of experience here). Just call the other insurance company's claim line (for non-customers) and talk to a claim handler with the estimate in hand at a place that has a fax machine. Tell her you are sending the estimate They can either just pay it, negotiate the terms, or send an adjuster to make sure they aren't getting screwed. It is very possible that they will just talk to the estimating shop and have them come down in the price of labor.

We went the route you are talking about for my first accident in December of 2008. The guy crossed into my lane (after making a left, but fully making it into my lane) because he was going to fast, was on the phone, and a car made a right into a gas station about 20 feet before the road I was pulling out of. He hit my front drivers side wheel in my lane. A clear cut case like that, and they split the decision 50/50. : We didn't even hear about the decision until this past October. It took that long for them to settle it.

Good luck, and for the box, look at one with a lifetime warranty. I think Autozone (I hate that place) has duralast boxes with that warranty on it.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You guys are lucky being able to have the other driver's insurance pay.

Here in Michigan, we have this wonderful thing called No-Fault insurance. Basically what it means is you always fix your own car regardless of who is at fault. The most you can collect from the other driver if they are at fault is your deductible up to $500.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post

Here in Michigan, we have this wonderful thing called No-Fault insurance. Basically what it means is you always fix your own car regardless of who is at fault. The most you can collect from the other driver if they are at fault is your deductible up to $500.
I think Florida is like that too...Whoever thought up that brilliant scheme must have been a TERRIBLE driver.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
MeltdWhiskey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post

i'd move. ..that's complete horsesnatch.

does your premium go up if it's the other person's fault?
MeltdWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
servozn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltdWhiskey View Post

it did when i lived in CT (I live in TX now)

I was standing there pumping gas and some dude backed into my Jeep. My insurance cut me a check to fix the bumper/fender, and then next year my insurance went up because I had been in an accident. Needless to say, I no longer use that insurance company.
Unread 03-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltdWhiskey View Post

Yep, your premiums can certainly be effected even though it was someone else's fault.

Its supposed to make insurance cheaper for everyone.

What happens is you do not always make the small claims you would if it was against someone else's insurance. You are also less likely to try and stick it to the insurance company if its your own and your premiums may be effected.

But yes, it sucks for those who are good, responsible drivers.

badtux - sorry for the thread hijack. I got distracted with all this insurance talk.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The durango box won't fit on his 06.
Benderff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
That is the stupid way to go (I am working off of experience here). Just call the other insurance company's claim line (for non-customers)
Dude, this is California. I couldn't get any information from the other driver because I don't speak his language and he doesn't speak English and after a failed attempt at communication I realized it would be idiotic to stand in the middle of a major intersection with cars whizzing by at 50mph to try to get it out of him via a game of Charades, fuggit, it's only money. The cops gathered all that info (though it took four cop cars before they got a cop who spoke the driver's language) and it'll be in their report... which will be available in three to six weeks or so. I ain't driving no $%@!#! Ford Taurus for six weeks! It's like driving a friggin' *yacht* compared to driving my beloved Silver Demon, you don't realize how compact even a Jeep LJ is until you're in something as wide as the Queen Mary and not much shorter. WTF, it's only money.

Knowing that the Durango box won't fit my 2006 definitely makes the job of choosing a replacement box easier . So PSC it is, then?
Unread 03-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another way insurance companies are starting to go is no cash, just get it repaired.
Had a BIG tree fall on the house, and it got the Jeep slightly.
For the house nor the Jeep did I get money, the ins co just had them repaired and paid for the repairs directly. For the Jeep they said "take it anywhere, have them call us, we'll take care of it."
(Actually didn't have the Jeep repaired, 20 mins with some compound and it was perfect, except one 3/4" scratch that won't buff out. The estimate for repair was less than my deductible, so I shrugged it off and compounded it myself.)
I was hoping for a check for those itemized repairs, but no joy.

The more I think about it though, the more I like that method - keeps people from abusing their insurance as much. Less incentive to pad repair costs or make false claims if you aren't gonna get a check to pocket.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

That's how State Farm is here in California. They make the check out to your shop, not to you. They still can't force you to haul your Jeep to a shop of their choice, though. And I know the people who run the shop I had my Jeep hauled to, they're in my Jeep club .

Tags
bumper , crash , steering box

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.