BUMPER in MN : LOD vs HANSON (SALT) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BUMPER in MN : LOD vs HANSON (SALT)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-11-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
bry71518
2002 TJ Wrangler 

BUMPER in MN : LOD vs HANSON (SALT)

ok, I've seen plenty of reviews of the bumpers in the title. Seem both are good choices, but I've noticed most of the reviewers are from southern states. I'm leaning towards the LOD as it seems to be a better value, but if it rusts in 1 winter - wheres the value?

Here in MN we use enough salt in the winter on our roads to take care of every super-sized fry from McDonalds for months in every state in the USA.

I've read the finish on LOD is questionable - and others say it was perfect and theres no problems Same can be said for Hanson.

Can I get replies from MN, IL, WI, IA and N/SD LOD and Hanson Bumper owners regarding how they hold up against snow, salt, etc. in harsh COLD climates?

Thanks in advance!
Bryan

bry71518 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
saddis
2003 WJ 

I just got my LOD bumper in yesterday,dont like it at all. I got the extreme duty,there's a huge gap between the bumper and the back of the frame (looks horrible). The powder coating was chiped in two different places, and had hand prints were someone grabed it to early(not cured). The shipping also takes about six weeks to,their web site says 2-5 buisness days-yeah right. I dont know much about hanson products, but def going with other brand next time. This is just my opinion by the way.
Unread 06-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

hanson makes a great product but i wouldnt order anything pre-coated. order it raw and paint it yourself. not only will it last much longer but you can touch it up as it chips and it will all match.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would probably go with raw also, then powder or paint it locally to get exactly what you want. We have the same salt issue over here, no matter which way you go - rock chips will be rust spots after the first winter. Paint will be easier / cheaper to maintain. FWIW
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
klimb2xs
2005 LJ Wrangler 

x3 Ask them to ship it to you bare steel. I have the Hanson front bumper and the powder coat is not hold up to winter and salt on the roads.
klimb2xs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #6
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

the powdercoat on my warn stuff has not held up either and i stripped them and painted them and touch up every now and then

as the guy i had my fenders taken to said "big guys dont do it right and give powder a bad name, they just dip'em and down bother to blast them too. my way will last for ever as long as you keep the chips painted"

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
bry71518
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice... I had thought the powder coat would be a problem with either.

Any rust issues for those that have the bumpers? Long term, short term?

I bought a WP trail rack that mounted to the back door of the jeep... Mistake to drill holes in the door, I know, but the paint (whatever they used) didn't hold up to one season and it was rusting - worse yet the rust dripped onto my bumper discoloring it...

Thanks for the input! might be looking at Hanson, too bad the price is so steep for what you get. LOD is definitely a better deal - but at what price?
bry71518 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
Divebum
2012 JK Wrangler 

Unread 06-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I believe I'm taking my bumps down to bare metal (or not), then applying POR-15 to see how it stands up for the cold season. Hamilton isn't too bad with salt, but it was ridiculous at times last year. Salting rain/hail was useless, but I saw it twice.

I'll let you guys know how the (OEM) bumper is in March though.
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

every bumper LoD, Hanson, Warn, whatever...are all made of mild steel. Whether its powder coated or painted doesn't matter, its going to rust in salted winters. There is NO WAY AROUND IT. I lived in Michigan most of my life, so I know all to well the damage rust does. All these companies powder coat to the same specs any regular Draw-Tite or U-haul hitch is. They're made of the same material, a similar thickness, and receive similar powder coating treatments. What you see on a hitch hanging from a truck is what you'll get on any aftermarket steel bumper.

Your best bet is to buy an unfinished bumper, like a Rokmen or Ebay bumper, then prime and paint it yourself. Every month look it over and repaint it as necessary.

I opted to rattle can paint my bumpers, then coated them with Line-X.

BTW, powder coat is NOT a dipping process. The part is hooked to an electrode and ionized. A spray gun is then used to 'paint' a powder on the part, the gun & powder represent the other electrode in the circuit. The electric charge makes the powder stick and bond to the steel. The part is finally baked in an oven for a few hours...and bingo, powder coating.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
roadsuk
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have had my LoD rear bumper on for a little over 3 years and have very little issues. There is a little rust on the latch but it is suface and easy to take care of. Like anything else around here in the winter, keep it clean and it will last longer, let it go and it will turn to crap.
roadsuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just a hint, had a Hanson on for about a year. Mine was a discontinued item. It had some chipping, but it was due to UPS NOT Hanson. THey had packaged it well, I just think UPS dropped it from the TOP of a truck.

I touched it up with some semi-gloss rustoleum. Hardly notice.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I ordered my Hanson in the raw then had it 2 stage powder coated. First coat is a zinc rich primer, second is the top coat. The zinc primer gives it some galvanic protection. It's been through 3 New England winters and looks new except for one spot that was ground off on a bed rock ledge a year ago... but that hasn't rusted. Looks like the zinc is working.
Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
laxpatrick
2002 WJ 

Agree... My new rear bumper/tire carrier should arrive this week. Taking it to the local powdercoater here in La Crosse, WI to have it done up.... I think that's the best approach. Rust is inevitable. This way you don't start out with transit scrapes, etc. off the bat.
laxpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #15
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would not recommend LOD. Sure they're cheap but like saddis's story my LOD bumpers took forever to arrive and the finish sucked. The rear bumper/carrier lasted me a whole year before I changed to a Jeperman. The front rock bumper is thin and dents easily, and I damn sure dont trust the D ring mounts.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.