Build Plans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Build Plans

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
sonoran_Tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Build Plans

This is my long term plan for my 2001 TJ.
Background: I Bought this jeep in March of 2008 with 33x12.5 BFG A/Ts and a mild spacer lift. It has a 4.0l NV3550 and 30/44 combo with 3.73 gearing. I have since put on 33x12.5 BFG KMs and a Rock Hard 4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier. I have been wheeling it hard for the last year, and I have decided how I want to go forward with the build. For Now.

Stage 1:
-Currie 1" BL
-Currie 1" MML
-Rock Hard bolt on cage (exluding the rear angle bars)

I could really use that extra inch of wheel well clearance for flex in the short term and a BL is planning for an eventual TT. I am a little worried about the strength of the stock cage. Due to money and skill restraints I have decided a bolt on cage is good enough. My first question is how important are the floor mount and frame mount for the cage?

Stage 2:
-Fabtech Steering box skid
-Savvy Gas tank Skid
-AtoZ sliders

I need armor. I have almost worn holes in my stock gas tank skid. I think my steering box mount might be bent from an impact. My nerf bars are not going to last forever, they are already bent pretty good. Please give me your opinions on this armor, or tell me which you would go with. I am also considering making my own sliders.

Stage 3:
-SYE
-Rear DS

This would be the next step to a larger lift and a TT. Which brands are good? I have been looking at Currie and Rough Country. Also, Will I need a new front DS to go along with the eventual 4" lift?

Stage 4:
-Rubicon Express 3.5" SA Superflex+shocks
or
-Rough Country 4" x-flex

Help me decide which lift to go with. I am set on a SA lift, dont try to convince me otherwise. I want to net about 4" of lift at the suspension, and I will already have a 1" BL for a total of 5". I need good articulation for the terrain I frequent. This is a DD so ride quality is a bonus, but Im young and dont care too much.

All of this will lead to 35s and more later, but this is the plan for the next year or two. Any comments you have as to this would be appreciated.

As for gears, I have yet to have a problem with my 3.73 so those will come far down the road along with lockers. I havent had any traction issues that werent resolved with a little parking brake action so lockers are not a necessity as of yet.

After all of this is completed I will do a TT. I have a 2001 w/ a manual and the np231. who makes a TT for me?

White Jeep Club #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotes97 View Post
Rifles are part science and part voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10achik View Post
I remember when I killed my first zombie, I stood there for a good 30 seconds waiting for this weird voice to say "HEAD...SHOT", I was kind of bummed then nothing happened. :)
sonoran_Tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
mxracer513
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Go rubicon express not roughcountry . . . believe me i've had them both!!!

Here's mine on 35's with the rubicon 4.5" SF lift and a 1"BL

.=..^.-.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
KB3RDF ..... Yellow Jeep Club Member # 513
mxracer513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
mxracer513
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I also made my own trail cage and rockers
.=..^.-.-===-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
KB3RDF ..... Yellow Jeep Club Member # 513
mxracer513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
sonoran_Tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How did you like 4.5" on short arms? Im kinda worried the geometry is weird when flexing. As in the second picture, I can see the coil bent back slightly. Is this detrimental at all?

White Jeep Club #71

Quote:
Quote:
I remember when I killed my first zombie, I stood there for a good 30 seconds waiting for this weird voice to say "HEAD...SHOT", I was kind of bummed then nothing happened. :)
Unread 06-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
sonoran_Tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

bump......

White Jeep Club #71

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #6
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

look into the MORE motor mounts, http://www.mountainoffroad.com/Catal.../TJmounts.html the torsion rubber ones. they will keep the motor vibrations at bay.
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 01:14 AM   #7
Disco69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to Hijack, but those DC-1s look sick! Nice TJ.
[CENTER][B][SIZE="1"]3.5" RE Superflex Suspension Lift -|- RE Adjustable Trackbar -|- 35x12.50 STTs on Eagle Alloy 15x10s-|- D30 w/ ARB and Superior Outer Axle Seals -|- D44 w/ Detroit Locker -|- Superior 4.88s -|- ROKMEN Mercenary Front Bumper -|- ROKMEN Sliders -|- Warn Rockcrawler Rear w/ Carrier -|- Warn M8000 Winch -|- JKS 1.25" BL -|- JKS 1" MML -|- Old Man Emu Long Travel Shocks -|- OME Stabilizer -|- ARB OBA -|- MetalCloak Arched Front Tube Fenders[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767168"]My Build Thread[/URL][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Sienna Jeep Club Member #29[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="www.frozenaxles.com"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"]FROZEN AXLES[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="Orange"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Offroad[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
Disco69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 01:21 AM   #8
TJftw
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i would suggest the RE 4.5 superflex with 3.5 springs. later if you want you could go to the 4.5 springs too. keep in mind the 3.5 is actually about 4.25" so i would do that before anything else if i were you...just forget about the body lift. you wont even need a SYE with it but maybe get one in the future, just for the minor vibes
Black Jeep Society Member #398

*Jeep Wave*
TJftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
sonoran_Tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What are the advantages of using the 4.5" system with 3.5" springs? The reason for the body lift is to allow for the SYE and a TT. Im pretty sure Ill need an SYE too.

White Jeep Club #71

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-06-2009, 02:36 AM   #10
TJftw
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the 4.5 RE kit is more complete. using the 3.5 springs allows for all the clearance you should need while still keepin your center of gravity as low as possible. to be honest the short wheelbase jeep doesnt need any more lift then that to clear almost anything unless you want larger tires.

*Jeep Wave*
Unread 06-06-2009, 02:39 AM   #11
TJftw
1999 TJ Wrangler 

if you want 35's i would add the 1" BL along with the RE 3.5

*Jeep Wave*
Unread 06-06-2009, 02:41 AM   #12
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco69 View Post
Sorry to Hijack, but those DC-1s look sick! Nice TJ.
They do look great but I see them on every other tj or pickup. I'm glad I never picked up a set.
TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #13
sonoran_Tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

bump for more input

White Jeep Club #71

Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.