Build 11 year old vs. buy newer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Build 11 year old vs. buy newer

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
glwood6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Build 11 year old vs. buy newer

Current setup is '03 X, 4.0L, 42RLE, 31" tires on Zone BB w/shocks. 155k, engine runs great, tranny is fine around town, it's only issue is 60 mph 'pulsing'. So everything pretty much works as it should, ride is fine. I'd really like to go up to 32s with 4.56 gears, or 33s with 4.88, OME suspension with adj. control arms, bl, mml, sye, cv drive shaft, & truetracs front & rear...Jeep's long paid off. I figure the above is around 5k to complete. Is this worth doing on an 11 year old TJ with 155k on the clock, & who's book value is around 8.5-9.5k?

Unread 05-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is this your DD? If you're concerned about miles can always start over with less miles
Unread 05-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
glwood6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I pretty much split driving time between my TJ & a Tacoma 4x4, so it isn't necessarily a dd.
Unread 05-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Dave02TJ
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwood6 View Post
I pretty much split driving time between my TJ & a Tacoma 4x4, so it isn't necessarily a dd.
Well the money spent ($5,000) some of it wont be recoverable, but it wouldn't matter if you put that $5,000 into a brand new Jeep, same thing right.

I see nothing wrong with putting money into a vehicle with 150,000 miles if that's what makes you happy.

No matter what breaks it's always fixable and it's easy to fix a TJ.
Dave02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #5
glwood6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave02TJ View Post
Well the money spent ($5,000) some of it wont be recoverable, but it wouldn't matter if you put that $5,000 into a brand new Jeep, same thing right.

I see nothing wrong with putting money into a vehicle with 150,000 miles if that's what makes you happy.

No matter what breaks it's always fixable and it's easy to fix a TJ.
That's the thing. I could easily put the $5k into a newer TJ (JKs are pretty much out of reach for that price right now), but then I would be starting over with a stock Jeep, albeit with lesser miles, but with all the upgrades yet to go...

I had a JK I bought new back in 2006, did a lot of stuff to that one. It was nice, but I have always had a fondness for the TJ. They also are a lot simpler without all the electronic nannies now on the JK.
Unread 05-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You're in TJ tech asking if its worth it to build up a TJ. Just saying...

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #7
glwood6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
You're in TJ tech asking if its worth it to build up a TJ. Just saying...
I'm not asking if it's worth 'building up a TJ', but if it's worth building up an 11 year old TJ with 155k. If I had a newer TJ with say 65k, I wouldn't even be asking, I would be buying parts...
Unread 05-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Even the newest TJ is still going to be 8 years old... at least you know what you're working with. Depending on how it has treated you so far i would make my decision based on that. Personally, I wouldn't trade mine for an 06 with less than 20K on the clock just because i know what im already driving...

Good luck.

ETA: Mines at 110 and some change.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwood6

I'm not asking if it's worth 'building up a TJ', but if it's worth building up an 11 year old TJ with 155k. If I had a newer TJ with say 65k, I wouldn't even be asking, I would be buying parts...
But you said everything is solid. Why would there be a problem? I have a 98 with damn near 100k miles. Age and miles honestly don't mean anything with these. It's all about how it's taken care of. I say go for it.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #10
glwood6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
But you said everything is solid. Why would there be a problem? I have a 98 with damn near 100k miles. Age and miles honestly don't mean anything with these. It's all about how it's taken care of. I say go for it.
I appreciate the encouragement. I will more than likely go forward with my plans to upgrade. Worst scenario, if the engine or tranny need major work down the road, they can be fixed also. I feel the $5k will get me the Jeep I really want.
Unread 05-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwood6 View Post
I built my 98 in 2010 when it had 140,000 miles. Never regretted it.
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd rather build up an older TJ any day. The newer the TJ, the more complex they are and the more issues they have.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My 98 had 190k on it when I started modifying in 2008. I wouldn't trade it for a newer tj.
rda616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #14
electrolime
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you finance a newer jeep, add mods, and wreck it then the insurance company will take your jeep, all your mods, and give you nothing for them.

If you wreck a jeep you own/paid off then you still get to keep it, and all your mods. If it breaks, then fix it! Respect the title in hand!
#donthatethechrome
electrolime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #15
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrolime View Post
If you finance a newer jeep, add mods, and wreck it then the insurance company will take your jeep, all your mods, and give you nothing for them.

If you wreck a jeep you own/paid off then you still get to keep it, and all your mods. If it breaks, then fix it! Respect the title in hand!
What?!?

This was not the case when my modded TJ with a lien on the title was involved in an accident.

I've been able to remove add ons when a vehicle was wrecked.

I've been able to buy back wrecked vehicles.

I've been able to get paid for add ons when a modded vehicle was involved in an insurance claim.

Maybe you are misinformed. Or maybe your insurance company or your agent is difficult to deal with. Or some strange state laws.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.