Budget boost, what do you really need? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Budget boost, what do you really need?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 09-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
tride000
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Reviving old thread

I recently (less than 100mi. ago) had a guy (who claimed to have 20yrs+ experience working on 4x4s) put a RC 2" BB with new Bilstein 5100 shocks (extended length to accommodate the lift) all around, and he claimed he didn't need the RE bumpstops I had also purchased. Is it possible these stops aren't needed or do I need to find someone else to put these on? If they are not needed, why not?

tride000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Once again, you don't need bumpstops, you have bumpstops that work just fine. Bumpstop spacers are what's needed, to push the existing bumpstop back down where it needs to be.
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tride000 View Post
I recently (less than 100mi. ago) had a guy (who claimed to have 20yrs+ experience working on 4x4s) put a RC 2" BB with new Bilstein 5100 shocks (extended length to accommodate the lift) all around, and he claimed he didn't need the RE bumpstops I had also purchased. Is it possible these stops aren't needed or do I need to find someone else to put these on? If they are not needed, why not?
You have your jeep in front of you. Get a tape measure and figure it out yourself. Much better than us guessing. Measure in the front and the rear the distance between the bottom of the spring pad and the rim of the bumpstop cup. Not the tip of the jounce bumper but the rim of the cup. In both the front and the rear you need that distance to be less than the amount of exposed shaft on your shocks. If it is not then you need to extend the bumpstops until it is less.
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
OCWrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
if you look under my name, you'll see why.

?
OCWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you ask him why he didn't need them?

Did he know the compressed and extended lengths of the shocks?
Did he push the axle to full bump with the springs removed to determine the required amount of bumpstop extension?
Did he put the springs in a press to fully compress them, measure the collapsed length, then make sure he had enough clearance for them to compress fully in the suspension cycle?
Did he also check full flex with the springs removed to verify tire clearances?
Did he check front brake line length with the new shocks under droop while turning lock-to-lock to see if they were taut?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #21
tride000
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unlimited 04, probably no to all of your questions. And, though I typed bumpstops, they are actually bumpstop extensions (which the place I ordered them from said I would need them ONLY AFTER I asked about them first). I have little faith in anything dealing with mechanics at this point. I will be taking my tape measure outside to do some measuring for sure. Truth be told, I drove my jeep from his garage (as in his home garage) to 4 Wheeler in Boulder because he said the backlash (he re-geared for me too) in my D35 couldn't be set. Well, after more than a week later, a new carrier, and $1100 I got my jeep back, AGAIN. Guess you get what you pay for.....being a female and new'ish to town = not having a trusted mechanic. Time to go measure to see if the bumpstop extensions in my garage really do need to be on my jeep.
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #22
tride000
2001 TJ Wrangler 

biffgnar, are those measurements all taken on flat, level ground? thanks for the help!
Unread 09-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #23
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Unlimited 04, probably no to all of your questions. And, though I typed bumpstops, they are actually bumpstop extensions (which the place I ordered them from said I would need them ONLY AFTER I asked about them first). I have little faith in anything dealing with mechanics at this point. I will be taking my tape measure outside to do some measuring for sure. Truth be told, I drove my jeep from his garage (as in his home garage) to 4 Wheeler in Boulder because he said the backlash (he re-geared for me too) in my D35 couldn't be set. Well, after more than a week later, a new carrier, and $1100 I got my jeep back, AGAIN. Guess you get what you pay for.....being a female and new'ish to town = not having a trusted mechanic. Time to go measure to see if the bumpstop extensions in my garage really do need to be on my jeep.
Sounds like you found someone who knew less than you...even with 20 yrs experience.

PM me if you'd like help. I'm in the Denver area and often make trips to the Boulder area.

btw, you will need bumpstop extensions at least in the rear.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body lift , budget boost , bump stop , bump stops , shock mount

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.