Budget boost, what do you really need? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Budget boost, what do you really need?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 08-18-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
jbab1977
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Budget boost, what do you really need?

Ok, so I'm looking to add a 2-2.25" BB to my 1.25"BL to clear some new 33s. Most of what I read on JF tells me that all I need is the pucks, new shocks would be better, but I should be ok. What do you really need to have a good set up with a BB? I'm looking at the kits that are on the market and every one is diff. Kits with only pucks, some with pucks and rear bump stops, all 4 bump stops, all 4 bump stops and shocks, shocks and only rear bump stops. One company sells a 1.5" kit with rear bump stops and shocks and a 2" kit with no bump stops and no shocks but it comes with rear shock brackets, another company sells the same shock brackets and say they should only be used with lifts over 3" but not with a 2" lift.

What in the world is going on here? I know alot of guy will say every jeep is diff, but really?!?! I feel like I'm gonna have to buy a kit then swap out every part in it plus a few more till I find something that works.

My plan is to add the pucks when it's time for new tires and go with 33s. Then upgrade the shocks a few months down the road. I figure there is also a small chance I will need a few washers for a TC drop too. Out side of that what do I need to budget for? Rear bump stops, all 4 bump stops? Is there any need for shock brackets with a 2-2.25" BB? What good would they do me?

What are you BB guys out there running and are you happy with it?

Thanks,
Jbab

jbab1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

My first two lifts I installed were the 2.25" spacers,rear bumpstops and longer shocks.That's it and everything else was fine.You can use your stock shocks until they fail from being too short.I bought the Skyjacker hydros and liked them.
2.25" BB and 31's.

2.25" BB and 1" BL and 33's.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
jbab1977
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Boogieman,

It's good to hear from you on this. Iv read a number of your posts and like your rigs. 35s on stock eccos with spacers, running BB/BL combos. You run setups that webwheelrs say will never work. But they should work and obviously they do work. I'll be keeping my eccos when I go to 33s too.
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbab1977 View Post
Hey Boogieman,

It's good to hear from you on this. Iv read a number of your posts and like your rigs. 35s on stock eccos with spacers, running BB/BL combos. You run setups that webwheelrs say will never work. But they should work and obviously they do work. I'll be keeping my eccos when I go to 33s too.
Maybe we need to define what someone means by work?

You bring your BB/BL combo out to where we play and it's going to be a very long day on your 35's. It may be bad enough that depending on your intestinal fortitude, you may at some point feel like giving up and walking back to camp.

And before you get all huffy, we've run across those guys. They're sitting a short way into the trail with their tail between their legs waving everyone by so they can figure out how to turn around.
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
jbab1977
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I hear ya mrblaine. A set up like this is far from the best, most able rig on the trail. But you build your jeep to do what you want or can right?
I think you know your stuff and I'm sure your rig is sweet as all-get-out. That being said. At some point you will find a trail that makes you pull over and let another guy drive by. And that's great, no reason to tuck your tail, or for me to tuck mine when it happens. We just have to choose. Come back next time with a better rig or run another trail.

For the next few years I'll probly have to run another trail. That's better than running no trails. A bl/bb rig that is only able to run easy/mod trails is fine. That fits my lifestyl and skill level.
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey Boogieman,

Like blaine said...define "work"?

Will it work on the street - yes.
Will it work on gravel roads and mild forest service roads you could do in a Subaru or stock F150 - for the most part
Will it work for more difficult trails - probably not
Will it work in the crazy stuff blaine plays in - hell no.

Its not about what the interwebnets says will never work (which is all opinion btw), its about what works for YOUR Jeep and YOUR terrain. My jeep wouldn't work in JV's extreme stuff, but it works damn well in most of Colorado...
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
jbab1977
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Define "work"

Well my stock jeep works fine on dirt/fire roads and easy trails. So why wouldn't the same jeep w/ an extra 2" under the belly pan work just as well or maybe even a little bit better? As for working in the stuff Blaine plays in. No it will not work out there. But that's a non issue because as the driver I couldn't work in that stuff even with his setup.
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I hear ya mrblaine. A set up like this is far from the best, most able rig on the trail. But you build your jeep to do what you want or can right?
I think you know your stuff and I'm sure your rig is sweet as all-get-out. That being said. At some point you will find a trail that makes you pull over and let another guy drive by. And that's great, no reason to tuck your tail, or for me to tuck mine when it happens. We just have to choose. Come back next time with a better rig or run another trail.

For the next few years I'll probly have to run another trail. That's better than running no trails. A bl/bb rig that is only able to run easy/mod trails is fine. That fits my lifestyl and skill level.
I don't think anyone should ever build what they don't need. That wasn't my point. I was addressing your comment related to web wheelers and if you look under my name, you'll see why.

Last edited by mrblaine; 08-18-2010 at 01:47 PM..
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Come on people.If anyone did any half @$$ stuff,the question would be answered quick.
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey Boogieman,

I do what I want to and don't give a rat's @$$ what anyone thinks.I've had 5 Jeeps in 7 years and loved them.People have opinions and most of them have nothing to do with experience.Everything I say.I've done and don't just give someone elses experience.PM me for bad details on anything.Thus the " LOST KOZ" licence plate.
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
jbab1977
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What it comes down to is you guys are running alot more than 2-3" of lift and 33s to do the trails you do. I could go with 2" OME springs/shocks and get a little bit better set up than stock springs, BB pucks, and bilstens. But that's not gonna get me down difficult trails. I'm still gonna need flex arms, new axles, gears, lockers, skids, winch....

So, dose anyone have any technical input on the best way to run or upgrade a BB? Add bump stops, track bars, saw bar links/discos, stabilizer?
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Define "work"

Well my stock jeep works fine on dirt/fire roads and easy trails. So why wouldn't the same jeep w/ an extra 2" under the belly pan work just as well or maybe even a little bit better?
because you can screw it up. a good example is not installing bumpstop extensions with a budget boost, and running stock shocks.

does it work? yes, it drives and looks fine. real cheap too.

does it function properly? nope, you can bottom out the springs bad

you end up with zero room for the spring to compress because you haven't extended the bumpstops. the springs need space to compress to, otherwise you'll damage them. that goes for 2", 4" or any lift height...the longer the spring is & the more coils there are, the more room you need to push it into. by using incorrect shock lengths, you can end up either bottoming out the shock on suspension compression, or not giving enough droop for axle travel.

to upgrade a BB, ditch the spacers and buy a suspension lift kit. the only difference is the longer springs vs spacer + short springs...which introduces its own set of downtravel issues. with regard to suspension lifts, 2" of lift is 2" of lift, regardless of how you get there...they'll all still need the same modifications to recenter the axle, correct alignment, upgrade steering & brakes for larger tires, SYE/CV, etc.
Unread 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
jbab1977
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input Unlimited04. That really gets to my point. Just sticking in spacers can screw things up. I'd rather not screw things up. And like you said the only diff between a BB and springs is longer springs, 2"=2". so sticking in longer springs will cause the same problems as a BB if not done right. I am looking at going the rout of spacers done right. All the other odds and end will still have to be taken care of either way. So why is it such a big deal to keep my factory springs that ride fine. For a few $100 I can get some crap springs or for a boat load of $$ I can get some good springs. Either way I still only get 2". When I'm ready to drop a boat load of $$$ I'll go with a full kit and sye and get 4-6". But that's many years down the road for me.
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So why is it such a big deal to keep my factory springs that ride fine.
Springs have little to do with ride quality.

and when lifted, longer springs help with droop. they extend further since they're taller and don't unseat as quickly.
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
What it comes down to is you guys are running alot more than 2-3" of lift and 33s to do the trails you do. I could go with 2" OME springs/shocks and get a little bit better set up than stock springs, BB pucks, and bilstens. But that's not gonna get me down difficult trails. I'm still gonna need flex arms, new axles, gears, lockers, skids, winch....

So, dose anyone have any technical input on the best way to run or upgrade a BB? Add bump stops, track bars, saw bar links/discos, stabilizer?
Im running a 3" BB and its working fine for now, save for a few popping noises. the kit came with 3" spacers, new longer shocks, and rear extended posts.

i plan on lifting to 4.5 - 5.5 in the near future so i picked up some extended rear end links, and some JKS quicker discos. I think the IRO track bar conversion is next, cause id like to get my axels centered again. then its on to the rest of the lift lol. but yeah, you can run you're BB on the basic trails without any problems. oh yeah, i had the 3" on my TJ and had to drop the T-case about an inch with stacks of washers and longer grade 8 bolts to get rid of the vibs.
[SIZE="1"][B]'95 ZJ:[/B] 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump[/SIZE]

[B][I]It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.[/I][/B]

[size="1"][I]R.I.P. 2000 TJ[/I][/size]
[size="1"][I]R.I.P. '95 YJ[/I][/size]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="3"][FONT="IMPACT"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/sskillas-build-thread-1408321"][COLOR="Black"]Build Thread[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
body lift , budget boost , bump stop , bump stops , shock mount

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.