Budget Boost and Body Lift vs. Suspension Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Budget Boost and Body Lift vs. Suspension Lift

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
Bayview471
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Budget Boost and Body Lift vs. Suspension Lift

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum and have been reading up on lift kits as I want to put one on my TJ. I am up in the air about getting a BB with a BL to achieve a 3" total lift verse getting a 3" suspension lift. Which one is better? I live in South Jersey and do a lot of driving on the beach and in boggy areas. The stock suspension is just not cutting it anymore as I am getting stuck all too often. Also I am a college student so price is obviously a huge factor. If i went with the BB and BL it would be the 2" Skyjacker Spacer Lift and a 1" BL. The suspension would be a 3" Zone Full suspension lift (Which runs $459.99 btw). Thanks to anyone who responds.

Bayview471 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have done a lot of wheeling on my BB + BL. I am going to a 4" suspension lift for 35s, but for the money it's hard to beat the spacers. It also depends on if you have future plans to go bigger.
Unread 03-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why do you keep getting stuck? A lift alone won't really help that.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
jaythornton000
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just ordered the zone lift after reading up on lifts for months. Personal opinion is that coils are going to be the better option.
jaythornton000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Getting stuck due to a lift? Lift won't help at all unless you've got snow up to the bumpers or something.

What you may need is a locker for the axle. If snow is the issue I highly suggested a selectable locker like ARB/OX otherwise an autolocker like Aussie or Detroit would be great.

Best upgrade I did wasn't my 2"BB lift but instead my aussie front locker for $249.99! HUGE difference.

As for lifts, a 3" suspension is the best option sure but a 2"BB is the cheapest for how much you gain. A BL is the worst with the exception of 1.25" being useful for other mods and a small gain of clearance.

Again, why are you getting stuck is the most important question. Without that we can't help you. A lift might not help even in the slightest. Are you just doing this for looks or do you want function?
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also. Besides a locker your next best thing would be lower your tire pressure!!!! That'll do a ton especially in sand or even in the mud. Try about 10psi and you'll see MAJOR improvements on not getting stuck. That'll do way more than a lift.
Unread 03-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Bayview471
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I always sink in the soft spots that you normally have to cross over to get to the beach. I want the lift to fit larger tires, both height and width wise. I tried back spaced rims and wider tires, but they rub. I'll also admit I am doing it for appearance too.
Unread 03-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK, well as stated lockers will do WAY more for you in terms of not getting stuck, taller tires will do very little for you and wider tires will do....something but not tons.

Lower pressure would do more than a larger tire. It's a pain to air back up perhaps though.

In any case for what you need just do a 2"BB +1 BL and you can run 33's just fine after that.
Unread 03-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Bayview471
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Any suggestions on what brand lifts I should use?

Firefighter/EMT
Unread 03-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Try searching. Old Man Emu and BDS are often recommended. Zone and Rough Country are also popular and a lower price point. I have old man emu springs and I love the way my jeep rides, on and off road.

Unread 03-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
Bayview471
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've been looking around and it seems that a lot of people are recommending an SYE for over 2 inch lifts. Is there a cheaper solution if it is needed t all?

Firefighter/EMT
Unread 03-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you do 2-2.5" lift and a 1" body lift, you definitely do not need a SYE. 3+ inches and you are starting to get into SYE territory.

Edit - I shouldn't say definitely, but it is very likely you won't need a SYE to eliminate vibrations. Any vibes you might have can probably be fixed with a minor transfer case drop, which would cost you five bucks in washers.

Unread 03-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
Rasberry
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I know the common rule is over 3 inches you need an SYE. But does that also apply to body lifts? As in if you have a 2.5-3 inch suspension and a 1 inch body lift do you need the SYE?
Rasberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasberry
I know the common rule is over 3 inches you need an SYE. But does that also apply to body lifts? As in if you have a 2.5-3 inch suspension and a 1 inch body lift do you need the SYE?
No it does not apply to body lifts because you don't change the geometry of the drivetrain with a body lift.

Unread 03-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
spdcat01TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

2.25" BB, + 1.25" BL + 1" MML = ability to run 33" tires at low cost with no vibes. I works great for me. I even added a 3/4" extra spacer to the front to level it out. Just be sure to get longer shocks so you don't lose flex. Also you need to adjust the bumpstops so you don't rub the fenders at full flex. Mine required 1.25" bumpstop extensions. I made those out of rubber boat trailer rollers cut to size. Springs might be better in the long run, but BB is definately cheaper.

NRA Member
'01 TJ Sahara, 3" BB front, 2.25" BB rear, 1.25 JKS BL, 1" MML, Skyjacker Hydro shocks,33/12.50x15 BFG TA/KO All Terrains homemade disco's, Hi-Lift, CB, GPS
spdcat01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
3" lift , body lift , suspension lift , tj , zone lift kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.