Bubbling Paint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bubbling Paint

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-21-2004, 08:47 PM   #1
Flyusaf2002
2001 WJ 

Bubbling Paint

The paint on my hinges on my tailgate (99 tj se) is starting to bubble. little tiny bubbles in the paint...not too ugly yet. Clearly, some oxidation is occuring and is probably going to lead to rust? Should i be terrified yet? Any suggestions on how to stop this before it goes any further (any way that doesn't involve painting that is...i'm not much of an artist!) Thanks for the advice,
Andy of Pittsburgh

Flyusaf2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2004, 10:58 PM   #2
The_'ster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to say but thats corrosion under the paint. I beleive the hinges are made of aluminum, just like the mirror brackets. The only solution is to remove the hinges, completely strip the paint off the hinges, and repaint them. Mine are doing the same thing on my rear tailgate. My mirror brackets did this also, and I removed them from the doors, sanded all the paint and corrosion off them, and coated the brackets in hurculiner. It looks ok, but if I did it again I would use a smoother bedliner coating. I've been thinking of doing the same thing with my tailgate hinges, or just replacing them and painting the new ones.

P.S. Another idea is what i did on the front grill and hood of my jeep. I got tired of rock chips on the front, so I masked off the front, scuffed the paint with a scouring pad, and coated it with stone guard spray. I got it from napa in black, and it sort of has a mild texture to it, kinda like the rhino lining bedliners. The napa part is Martin Senour Paints #4004 Stone Guard Black. Its just a rattle can spray, so its not hard to use. There is one pic in my yahoo briefcase that has a summertime pic of the front, and you can sorta see what it looks like.
Unread 12-22-2004, 12:24 AM   #3
Greydawg
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The only rust on my '97 are on the tailgate hinges. I bet a lot of people would tell you the same thing. That's probably the crap job in the paint shop, prepping the hinges. They give to the idiot who does'nt know what he's doing, and when he finally figures it out they move in the next idiot.
They sell aftermarket hinges in black powder-coat and chrome. I think the black looks better than factory-issued.
Unread 12-22-2004, 09:10 AM   #4
Flyusaf2002
2001 WJ 

Come to think of it, i have seen those black hinges and like them. Where could i get a set, and how much do you think they'll cost? Thanks for the info,
Andy of Pittsburgh
Flyusaf2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.