Bubbling or Gurgling Sound from Engine - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bubbling or Gurgling Sound from Engine

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 07-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #16
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Why?...
You're right. It's just every time I turned the heater on high it seemed that more air would come out than if I didn't. So just for the sake of it, I do it that way every time.

I just looked in my fsm and it says you don't even need to run the engine with the cap off.

COOLING SYSTEM-REFILLING
(1) Tighten the radiator draincock and the cylinder block drain plug(s).
(2) Fill system using a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze. This is described in the Coolant section of this group. Fill the radiator to the top and install the radiator cap. Add sufficient coolant to the reserve overflow tank to raise the level to the FULL mark.
(3) Operate the engine with both the radiator cap and the reserve/overflow tank cap in place. After the engine has reached the normal operating temperature, shut the engine off and allow it to cool.
(4) Add coolant to the reserve/overflow tank as necessary. Only add coolant when the engine is cold. Coolant level in a warm engine will be higher due to thermal expansion.

Then under...

COOLING SYSTEM DEAERATION
As the engine operates, any air trapped in cooling system gathers under the radiator cap. The next time the engine is operated, thermal expansion of coolant will push any trapped air past the radiator cap into the coolant reserve/overflow tank. Here it escapes to the atmosphere into the tank. When the engine cools down the coolant, it will be drawn from the reserve/overflow tank into the radiator to replace any removed air.

I've never had good luck with getting all the air out by this method, but it could have just been a bad radiator cap. I've just replaced mine. Next time I mess with the coolant I'll give it a try.

BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
You're right. It's just every time I turned the heater on high it seemed that more air would come out than if I didn't. So just for the sake of it, I do it that way every time.

I just looked in my fsm and it says you don't even need to run the engine with the cap off.

COOLING SYSTEM-REFILLING
(1) Tighten the radiator draincock and the cylinder block drain plug(s).
(2) Fill system using a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze. This is described in the Coolant section of this group. Fill the radiator to the top and install the radiator cap. Add sufficient coolant to the reserve overflow tank to raise the level to the FULL mark.
(3) Operate the engine with both the radiator cap and the reserve/overflow tank cap in place. After the engine has reached the normal operating temperature, shut the engine off and allow it to cool.
(4) Add coolant to the reserve/overflow tank as necessary. Only add coolant when the engine is cold. Coolant level in a warm engine will be higher due to thermal expansion.

Then under...

COOLING SYSTEM DEAERATION
As the engine operates, any air trapped in cooling system gathers under the radiator cap. The next time the engine is operated, thermal expansion of coolant will push any trapped air past the radiator cap into the coolant reserve/overflow tank. Here it escapes to the atmosphere into the tank. When the engine cools down the coolant, it will be drawn from the reserve/overflow tank into the radiator to replace any removed air.

I've never had good luck with getting all the air out by this method, but it could have just been a bad radiator cap. I've just replaced mine. Next time I mess with the coolant I'll give it a try.
Usually when I flush or add coolant I fill the rad up half way, run the engine until the thermostat opens, then continue filling until full. It's messy but gets almost all the air out. But the FSM method should work, usually when I flush everything and fill the next couple days I'll find the cap on the overflow bottle has popped off.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #18
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
But the FSM method should work, usually when I flush everything and fill the next couple days I'll find the cap on the overflow bottle has popped off.
Why would it pop off when it has a large vent port?...
Unread 07-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #19
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Why would it pop off when it has a large vent port?...
Because it doesn't? Or at least '97 doesn't.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #20
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So is there any negative effect from over filling your reserve tank? Pretty sure I've done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #21
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik T. View Post
So is there any negative effect from over filling your reserve tank? Pretty sure I've done that.
It will just spew out from the vent in the tank when things get hot.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #22
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Because it doesn't? Or at least '97 doesn't.
I think it does.

Look at the rear, upper part of the overflow reservoir...
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #23
ryanlipski
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thermostat

Get a new thermostat. I had that problem a while ago - thermostat would randomly open and shut on me. After I swapped it no more issues. I will admit that it could have needed bleeding but I'm not sure why that would have changed over time... Either way, it was a $5 fix.
ryanlipski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
coolant , gurgling , radiator cap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.