brown in my radiator? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > brown in my radiator?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #46
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

yep....that's it

NCUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #47
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlerocket91 View Post
yup. make sure to check the price at the nearest NAPA, and have them price match it.

around here NAPA is significantly cheaper than O-Reilly on Zerex GO5.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #48
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

One quick question, can I use filtered water? Or does it have to be distilled water? I forgot to pick some up last night
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #49
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCUNLIMITED
One quick question, can I use filtered water? Or does it have to be distilled water? I forgot to pick some up last night
There's a large gap between "can" and "should".
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #50
NCUNLIMITED
2005 LJ Wrangler 

so that's a no?
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #51
bottlerocket91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCUNLIMITED View Post
so that's a no?
Distilled only. I'm pretty sure it actually says that on the radiator top
bottlerocket91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #52
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
yup. make sure to check the price at the nearest NAPA, and have them price match it.

around here NAPA is significantly cheaper than O-Reilly on Zerex GO5.
hey how's the price of the premixed compare to mixing your own?
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #53
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw

hey how's the price of the premixed compare to mixing your own?
There is no premix Zerex
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #54
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun

There is no premix Zerex
I could have swore I saw it mentioned in that oreiilly link above... not important though I was just curious.

Sent from JeepForum using my Android
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #55
bottlerocket91
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Premix Zerex is 11.50
bottlerocket91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #56
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
There is no premix Zerex
it's fairly new....
http://www.amazon.com/Zerex-ZXG05RU1.../dp/B0033QQ4VW

personally, I buy the undiluted. here's my version of the flush procedure...
  1. buy an antifreeze tester, 5 gallon bucket, antifreeze drain pan, a black sharpie, a medium sized plastic funnel, 2 bottles of undiluted Zerex GO5, and 4-10 gallons distilled water.
  2. drain coolant into drain pan to be properly disposed of. don't dump it in your yard or flush it. you can use old windshield washer fluid containers, milk jugs or your distilled water jugs to cart it off to be recycled.
  3. flush the cooling system completely with garden hose flush kit, as directed by instructions. water should run clear before finished.
  4. drain system completely (tap water)
  5. refill with distilled water (~2-2.5 gallons)
  6. if thermostat is not removed, run engine warm. if removed, just run it. (circulate distilled water). You can drive around for a few days with the distilled, to circulate.
  7. when ready, let cool & drain again. if water is still contaminated and does not run clear, return to step 2. or drain/flush with distilled as much as you'd like. You may need to disconnect the lower radiator hose from the radiator to drain any debris/chunks out.
  8. don't even bother with the engine block plug. After draining, dump about 1-1/4 gallons (5L) of undiluted Zerex into the radiator. Top off with distilled water. After running the engine to circulate & mix, you should now have a perfect 50:50 coolant mix in your cooling system.
  9. take the remaining Zerex bottle & about 3/4 gallon of distilled water and dump them into 5 gallon bucket. mix well with paint stirrer or whatever is clean & handy.
  10. use antifreeze tester to verify concentration of bucket, so you know how to use & read it.
  11. take contents of 5 gallon bucket, dump into the empty Zerex GO5 container until full, using funnel. mark 50/50 MIX on the Zerex containers with black sharpie.
  12. If you need to top off the radiator, put funnel on radiator opening, and dump your new 50/50 mix into the radiator until system full. The radiator should appear completely full when the engine is cool. To expedite the air burping, you can remove the radiator cap and squeeze the upper radiator hose to push out as much air as possible.
  13. remove the coolant overflow and clean it out well. remove any mud, debris or contamination. buy a new one if necessary.
  14. once the overflow is clean, fill it to the HOT mark with the 50/50 mix you made earlier.
  15. warm engine up. there may be air in the cooling system. if you have an air bleed opening on the thermostat, over time the air will be vented into the overflow bottle, and antifreeze will be sucked into the radiator from the overflow bottle when the radiator cap is closed. Continue topping off the overflow as necessary - DO NOT let the overflow bottle run dry - you'll introduce new air into the cooling system. The overflow should read at the hot/full mark when the engine has been running at the normal operating temp of ~210°F for a while.
  16. after driving for a few days, verify antifreeze concentration with tester at radiator cap. if concentration is too low, add 100% undiluted antifreeze to overflow bottle or radiator. if concentration too high or too low, add distilled water or 100% Zerex to achieve desired 50/50 concentration.
  17. if you must drain some to keep system from overflowing, make sure drain pan is clean. you can save this basically new antifreeze by pouring it back into the 50/50 MIX container, and adding undiluted or distilled as necessary to maintain desired concentration.

The total coolant volume of the 4.0L is about 2.6 gallons (10 liters), and the block itself will hold quite a bit, so just draining the radiator won't do it.

Also, regarding the flush kits - note many of them have a black rubber gasket, which may NOT be compatible with HOAT coolant. It will deteriorate over a couple years time...at least mine did. Replace this gasket with a regular silicone garden hose gasket.

EDIT: Updated 9/17/2014
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #57
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Unlimited I been waiting for the little write-up to show it's head somewhere for a bit now

I haven't checked my condition since I got it ...that said I'm sure you can imagine I'm too lazy to look it up right now...do you care to mention where I should look for the plug so that I can drain the block as well? Also, that's a freeze plug right? Do I recall correctly that once removed you have to put a new one in its place?

Seriously though, thanks for those instructions.
Unread 07-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #58
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
Nice Unlimited I been waiting for the little write-up to show it's head somewhere for a bit now

I haven't checked my condition since I got it ...that said I'm sure you can imagine I'm too lazy to look it up right now...do you care to mention where I should look for the plug so that I can drain the block as well? Also, that's a freeze plug right? Do I recall correctly that once removed you have to put a new one in its place?

Seriously though, thanks for those instructions.
it is not a freeze plug. there is a small drain plug on the rear drivers side of the block (IIRC), it uses a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive if memory serves me correct. Since my coolant was clean with no signs of corrosion, I didn't mess with it because the space is kinda tight with the two mini-cats & trans lines there.
Unread 07-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #59
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
it is not a freeze plug. there is a small drain plug on the rear drivers side of the block (IIRC), it uses a 3/8" or 1/2" square drive if memory serves me correct. Since my coolant was clean with no signs of corrosion, I didn't mess with it because the space is kinda tight with the two mini-cats & trans lines there.
much obliged sir. I think I'll check the condition and watch the flush material and skip it if all else looks good. Thanks again
Unread 07-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #60
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04
I learn.

― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.