Brown Dog MML - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brown Dog MML

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
USCGTWEET
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Brown Dog MML

I am installing the MML and I would like to upgrade the hardware to something of the Grade Eight Verity.Can anyone give me a bolt size and recommendation? I figured someone has done this in the past?Thanks All

USCGTWEET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
HowIRoll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

are you installing this without a BL? just curious if it could be done.

http://longhornfabshop.com/
HowIRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There's no need for Grade 8 bolts for your engine mounts, I would (and did) just reuse the OE mounting bolts which are way more than strong enough.

And yes HowIRoll, a 1" MML can be installed without a body lift. You'd need to move the fan shroud up an inch but that's all.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
USCGTWEET
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks I appreciate it. I am installing a 1.25 JKS at the same time.
USCGTWEET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Baotchi
2010 JK Wrangler 

I installed the Brown Dog MML before I had my BL. I moved the shroud 1" up and it went well. I also reused the stock bolts.
Unread 01-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

We recommend the re-use of the original hardware. They are hardened.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 07:13 AM   #7
HowIRoll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help guys, sorry if I hijacked OP.

http://longhornfabshop.com/
HowIRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowIRoll
are you installing this without a BL? just curious if it could be done.
A few words about MMLs

Some people say that a MML must be used with a body lift; that is a myth. Motor mount lifts and body lifts are not related except that it would eliminate the need to re-locate the radiator or radiator shroud. Neither of those are a valid reason for a MML.

Under normal circumstances, motor mount lifts have only one purpose: to help correct driveline angle issues that are causing vibrations and/or u-joint binding. Therefore, it isn’t really possible to calculate which (if any) MML is needed, simply by knowing how much lift is installed on a given vehicle.

That having been said, most vehicles that have as much as 6” of suspension lift would probably use a stock height, or a 1” MML (again, depending on the remainder of the configuration). A 2” MML has no place in this kind of vehicle.

For further information on correct drive line angles, go here and click on the links about halfway down the page. They do an excellent job of describing the elements of drive line angle.

http://www.browndogindustries.com/in...on=Custom&ID=5

Some abnormal circumstances in which MML's may be useful include custom frames, custom engine installations, or bodies that require a particular engine position due to an out of the ordinary configuration. These are also the kind of designs that might need a 2” MML. Most typical lifting and modification of stock vehicles do not fall in this category.

91YJ 2.5
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
Unread 02-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post

Some people say that a MML must be used with a body lift; that is a myth. Motor mount lifts and body lifts are not related except that it would eliminate the need to re-locate the radiator or radiator shroud. Neither of those are a valid reason for a MML.
Would the T-Case Shift linkages be ok, or would they most likely need adjustment or a bracket to correct them? Also, what modifications would be needed on the radiator shroud to allow a MML without a BL?

Thanks
Unread 02-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A MML lifts the engine an inch, which also raises the fan which fits inside the fan shroud attached to the radiator. So to install a MML without a BL, you only need raise the fan shroud or radiator a corresponding inch so the fan shroud clears the fan as it did before the MML was installed. That is all.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 11:35 PM   #11
F9K9

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
A few words about MMLs

Under normal circumstances, motor mount lifts have only one purpose: to help correct driveline angle issues that are causing vibrations and/or u-joint binding. Therefore, it isn’t really possible to calculate which (if any) MML is needed, simply by knowing how much lift is installed on a given vehicle.

That having been said, most vehicles that have as much as 6” of suspension lift would probably use a stock height, or a 1” MML (again, depending on the remainder of the configuration). A 2” MML has no place in this kind of vehicle.

For further information on correct drive line angles, go here and click on the links about halfway down the page. They do an excellent job of describing the elements of drive line angle.

http://www.browndogindustries.com/in...on=Custom&ID=5

Some abnormal circumstances in which MML's may be useful include custom frames, custom engine installations, or bodies that require a particular engine position due to an out of the ordinary configuration. These are also the kind of designs that might need a 2” MML. Most typical lifting and modification of stock vehicles do not fall in this category.
Being a newbie TJ owner with moderate XJ background I can't express my appreciation for this VENDOR'S input and his/her timing enough. I have been researching, reading, trying different search techniques, lurking and even posted a question without feeling the need to seek cover. I would have lost a few paychecks if, I was asked to bet if, I thought the difference between the two platforms was this extreme.

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 04:18 AM   #12
john NC
1979 CJ5 

Brown Dog,

what torque spec do you recommend for the through-bolt? i torqued mine to 48 per the service manual but i've seen everything from "snug" to 70 ft/lbs recommended.

btw, couldn't be happier with my MML, great product and price
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 05:19 AM   #13
MEnginerd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just got a set of the 1" MML from brown dog. Great service, delivery, price, and welds. Paint was a bit thin at the edges, but i don't think anyone is going to notice after they are installed. I'm actually thinking about installing them this afternoon, maybe by tonight i'll be able to comment on ease of install and any increase in vibes from the poly bushings, hahaha. I'm hoping I don't run into a ridiculous amount of grinding on the stock motor bracket, it just doesn't look like a fun place to try to stick a grinder....

-Brent
MEnginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #14
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEnginerd View Post
I just got a set of the 1" MML from brown dog. Great service, delivery, price, and welds. Paint was a bit thin at the edges, but i don't think anyone is going to notice after they are installed. I'm actually thinking about installing them this afternoon, maybe by tonight i'll be able to comment on ease of install and any increase in vibes from the poly bushings, hahaha. I'm hoping I don't run into a ridiculous amount of grinding on the stock motor bracket, it just doesn't look like a fun place to try to stick a grinder....

-Brent

You should fill out your profile so members know how to better help you. You only need to grind if you have a 2.5 YJ with aluminum brackets.

91YJ 2.5
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
Unread 02-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #15
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john NC View Post
Brown Dog,

what torque spec do you recommend for the through-bolt? i torqued mine to 48 per the service manual but i've seen everything from "snug" to 70 ft/lbs recommended.

btw, couldn't be happier with my MML, great product and price
Snug, as long as the lock nut is in good, working condition. Otherwise, replace the locknut.

91YJ 2.5
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.