Brown Dog MML - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
USCGTWEET
Registered User
 
USCGTWEET's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kapolei, Hawaii
Posts: 426
Brown Dog MML

I am installing the MML and I would like to upgrade the hardware to something of the Grade Eight Verity.Can anyone give me a bolt size and recommendation? I figured someone has done this in the past?Thanks All

USCGTWEET is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 01-21-2008, 03:08 PM
HowIRoll
Registered User
 
HowIRoll's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 468
are you installing this without a BL? just curious if it could be done.

Check out my build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
http://longhornfabshop.com/
HowIRoll is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old 01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 67,282
There's no need for Grade 8 bolts for your engine mounts, I would (and did) just reuse the OE mounting bolts which are way more than strong enough.

And yes HowIRoll, a 1" MML can be installed without a body lift. You'd need to move the fan shroud up an inch but that's all.

Getting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...


When you have a choice, buy American made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jerry Bransford is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 Old 01-21-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
USCGTWEET
Registered User
 
USCGTWEET's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kapolei, Hawaii
Posts: 426
Thanks I appreciate it. I am installing a 1.25 JKS at the same time.
USCGTWEET is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old 01-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Baotchi
Registered User
 
Baotchi's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Quebec, CANADA
Posts: 1,401
I installed the Brown Dog MML before I had my BL. I moved the shroud 1" up and it went well. I also reused the stock bolts.

Black 2010 Sport JK
Black 2003 Sport TJ Gone!
Baotchi is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Brown Dog
Vendor
 
Brown Dog's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Queen Creek
Posts: 3,550
We recommend the re-use of the original hardware. They are hardened.

Brown Dog Offroad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA


91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old 01-22-2008, 08:13 AM
HowIRoll
Registered User
 
HowIRoll's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 468
Thanks for the help guys, sorry if I hijacked OP.

Check out my build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
http://longhornfabshop.com/
HowIRoll is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 01-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Brown Dog
Vendor
 
Brown Dog's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Queen Creek
Posts: 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowIRoll
are you installing this without a BL? just curious if it could be done.
A few words about MMLs

Some people say that a MML must be used with a body lift; that is a myth. Motor mount lifts and body lifts are not related except that it would eliminate the need to re-locate the radiator or radiator shroud. Neither of those are a valid reason for a MML.

Under normal circumstances, motor mount lifts have only one purpose: to help correct driveline angle issues that are causing vibrations and/or u-joint binding. Therefore, it isn’t really possible to calculate which (if any) MML is needed, simply by knowing how much lift is installed on a given vehicle.

That having been said, most vehicles that have as much as 6” of suspension lift would probably use a stock height, or a 1” MML (again, depending on the remainder of the configuration). A 2” MML has no place in this kind of vehicle.

For further information on correct drive line angles, go here and click on the links about halfway down the page. They do an excellent job of describing the elements of drive line angle.

http://www.browndogindustries.com/in...on=Custom&ID=5

Some abnormal circumstances in which MML's may be useful include custom frames, custom engine installations, or bodies that require a particular engine position due to an out of the ordinary configuration. These are also the kind of designs that might need a 2” MML. Most typical lifting and modification of stock vehicles do not fall in this category.

Brown Dog Offroad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA


91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old 02-22-2008, 10:33 PM
JEEP97TJ
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MD/Virginia Tech
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post

Some people say that a MML must be used with a body lift; that is a myth. Motor mount lifts and body lifts are not related except that it would eliminate the need to re-locate the radiator or radiator shroud. Neither of those are a valid reason for a MML.
Would the T-Case Shift linkages be ok, or would they most likely need adjustment or a bracket to correct them? Also, what modifications would be needed on the radiator shroud to allow a MML without a BL?

Thanks


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blacksburg, VA
JEEP97TJ is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 02-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California
Posts: 67,282
A MML lifts the engine an inch, which also raises the fan which fits inside the fan shroud attached to the radiator. So to install a MML without a BL, you only need raise the fan shroud or radiator a corresponding inch so the fan shroud clears the fan as it did before the MML was installed. That is all.

Getting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...


When you have a choice, buy American made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jerry Bransford is offline  
post #11 of 30 Old 02-23-2008, 12:35 AM
F9K9
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London, KY, US
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
A few words about MMLs

Some people say that a MML must be used with a body lift; that is a myth. Motor mount lifts and body lifts are not related except that it would eliminate the need to re-locate the radiator or radiator shroud. Neither of those are a valid reason for a MML.

Under normal circumstances, motor mount lifts have only one purpose: to help correct driveline angle issues that are causing vibrations and/or u-joint binding. Therefore, it isn’t really possible to calculate which (if any) MML is needed, simply by knowing how much lift is installed on a given vehicle.

That having been said, most vehicles that have as much as 6” of suspension lift would probably use a stock height, or a 1” MML (again, depending on the remainder of the configuration). A 2” MML has no place in this kind of vehicle.

For further information on correct drive line angles, go here and click on the links about halfway down the page. They do an excellent job of describing the elements of drive line angle.

http://www.browndogindustries.com/in...on=Custom&ID=5

Some abnormal circumstances in which MML's may be useful include custom frames, custom engine installations, or bodies that require a particular engine position due to an out of the ordinary configuration. These are also the kind of designs that might need a 2” MML. Most typical lifting and modification of stock vehicles do not fall in this category.
Being a newbie TJ owner with moderate XJ background I can't express my appreciation for this VENDOR'S input and his/her timing enough. I have been researching, reading, trying different search techniques, lurking and even posted a question without feeling the need to seek cover. I would have lost a few paychecks if, I was asked to bet if, I thought the difference between the two platforms was this extreme.

For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste that the protected will never know."

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline  
post #12 of 30 Old 02-23-2008, 05:18 AM
john NC
Registered User
 
john NC's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,413
Brown Dog,

what torque spec do you recommend for the through-bolt? i torqued mine to 48 per the service manual but i've seen everything from "snug" to 70 ft/lbs recommended.

btw, couldn't be happier with my MML, great product and price
john NC is offline  
post #13 of 30 Old 02-23-2008, 06:19 AM
MEnginerd
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 204
I just got a set of the 1" MML from brown dog. Great service, delivery, price, and welds. Paint was a bit thin at the edges, but i don't think anyone is going to notice after they are installed. I'm actually thinking about installing them this afternoon, maybe by tonight i'll be able to comment on ease of install and any increase in vibes from the poly bushings, hahaha. I'm hoping I don't run into a ridiculous amount of grinding on the stock motor bracket, it just doesn't look like a fun place to try to stick a grinder....

-Brent
MEnginerd is offline  
post #14 of 30 Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Brown Dog
Vendor
 
Brown Dog's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Queen Creek
Posts: 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEnginerd View Post
I just got a set of the 1" MML from brown dog. Great service, delivery, price, and welds. Paint was a bit thin at the edges, but i don't think anyone is going to notice after they are installed. I'm actually thinking about installing them this afternoon, maybe by tonight i'll be able to comment on ease of install and any increase in vibes from the poly bushings, hahaha. I'm hoping I don't run into a ridiculous amount of grinding on the stock motor bracket, it just doesn't look like a fun place to try to stick a grinder....

-Brent

You should fill out your profile so members know how to better help you. You only need to grind if you have a 2.5 YJ with aluminum brackets.

Brown Dog Offroad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA


91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old 02-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Brown Dog
Vendor
 
Brown Dog's Avatar
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Queen Creek
Posts: 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by john NC View Post
Brown Dog,

what torque spec do you recommend for the through-bolt? i torqued mine to 48 per the service manual but i've seen everything from "snug" to 70 ft/lbs recommended.

btw, couldn't be happier with my MML, great product and price
Snug, as long as the lock nut is in good, working condition. Otherwise, replace the locknut.

Brown Dog Offroad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA


91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Brown Dog MikNov TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 30 10-23-2009 12:51 PM
Brown Came!! BiGEN JK Wrangler Technical Forum 31 09-21-2008 02:12 PM
MML: M.O.R.E. or Brown Dog BYuen TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 24 05-01-2008 10:49 AM
Brown Dog MM USCGTWEET TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 01-16-2008 06:34 AM
MML- Brown Dog vs. M.O.R.E. KUK9 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 18 03-08-2007 06:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome