Broken Vacuum Line =Rough Idle? (PIC) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broken Vacuum Line =Rough Idle? (PIC)

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
04Wrangler2000
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Broken Vacuum Line =Rough Idle? (PIC)

I replaced an exhaust manifold gasket last week and in the process broke a vacuum line.. I repaired it by sliding a small metal tube over the two broken ends then put heat shrink over the metal tube and lines to seal it..

I've got a slight rough idle down under 1000k rpm.. Would this be the cause since it's not a perfect line..

Is that a part the dealer would have? Would I have to buy the entire vacuum line assembly? and How much it would cost?

Also curious what this line is connected too? I would appreciate any feedback..

04Wrangler2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

That is the cruise control vacuum servo. You can get the official part from the dealer, but you can also buy some vacuum hose from an auto parts or hardware store.
LimeLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
?????

I need that hose as well since I bought a used cruise control kit. I'll call the dealer tomorrow, but maybe someone has a ballpark figure for price on just the vacuum tube. I don't want to use a generic hose.
????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ????? View Post
. I don't want to use a generic hose.
Why not? That plastic line gets brittle and breaks. Rubber hose gets rotten but usually out lasts the plastic line plus the hose is like $.20 a ft.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Duct tape?

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
Why not? That plastic line gets brittle and breaks. Rubber hose gets rotten but usually out lasts the plastic line plus the hose is like $.20 a ft.
I just prefer a factory look. I have some 3/8" hose for it, but it's a bit awkward compared to the narrow vacuum tube with the 90 bends in it.
????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Disconnect that line where it Ts near the manifold & plug the T with your finger & see if the idle smooths out. If not then you may have another cracked line. The line that goes from that T to above the battery which controls the heater vents is also prone to cracking. If all your heat only comes through the defroster vents that line is cracked.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #8
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I blew cigarette smoke in mine to see if it was cracked, sure enough, the smoke started coming out of it along the firewall. It got chafed rubbing against the firewall and was leaking. Cut in half, slide a piece of rubber hose over and seal. It fixed the leak and should take a lot longer to rub through to make it leaked again...
You shouldn't be afraid of using rubber hose, it would probably do better, I have to take great care moving my stock hoses around, they are really brittle from all the underhood heat. Just get it in black color and it would look stock.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.