Broken upper rear shock pin - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broken upper rear shock pin

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Reply
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
libby4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 211
Broken upper rear shock pin

My upper rear shock pin broke on my rancho 9000xl . Any idea where to find one? Should I buy an upgraded pin? What upgraded pin works for a 2003 jeep tj? Thanks

libby4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
libby4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by libby4life
My upper rear shock pin broke on my rancho 9000xl . Any idea where to find one? Should I buy an upgraded pin? What upgraded pin works for a 2003 jeep tj? Thanks
Pic
image-3837786875.jpg  
libby4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlottesville, Va
Posts: 27,932
You can find them and the bushings anywhere that sells shocks.I always check ebay.BPE's would be a better choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Country-.../dp/B00B2AFPRA
__________________
Quote:
When I had 3.07s I would draft behind birds as an attempt to do the speed limit.
---------------------------------
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
libby4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman
You can find them and the bushings anywhere that sells shocks.I always check ebay.BPE's would be a better choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Country-.../dp/B00B2AFPRA
Do I need to buy a bushing or do I just use my old one?
libby4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlottesville, Va
Posts: 27,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by libby4life View Post
Do I need to buy a bushing or do I just use my old one?
From the pics you posted,I'd replace them.
__________________
Quote:
When I had 3.07s I would draft behind birds as an attempt to do the speed limit.
---------------------------------
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler
 
J03_TJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 3,497
I see a rear in the bushing, but don't really see what is broken. Is it just that the bar pin and bushing came out of the shock, or did the bar pin actually break somewhere?
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlottesville, Va
Posts: 27,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
I see a rear in the bushing, but don't really see what is broken. Is it just that the bar pin and bushing came out of the shock, or did the bar pin actually break somewhere?
In the pictures it looks like the bar pin has the inside of the bushing on it.The middle pic shows a ripped bushing.I've never seen a bar pin break and yours looks normal in the pic.A lot of old red Skyjacker bushings fell apart for no reason.There's a lot of people who trash the bushings.
__________________
Quote:
When I had 3.07s I would draft behind birds as an attempt to do the speed limit.
---------------------------------
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler
 
J03_TJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 3,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman

In the pictures it looks like the bar pin has the inside of the bushing on it.The middle pic shows a ripped bushing.I've never seen a bar pin break and yours looks normal in the pic.A lot of old red Skyjacker bushings fell apart for no reason.There's a lot of people who trash the bushings.
Yeah, I saw that. Wonder if its true inner part of the bushing? Also aren't the 9000XL shocks silver and bigger diameter, that kind of looks like one of the old 9000 white ones like I have. Not that that matters I suppose.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Charlottesville, Va
Posts: 27,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
Yeah, I saw that. Wonder if its true inner part of the bushing? Also aren't the 9000XL shocks silver and bigger diameter, that kind of looks like one of the old 9000 white ones like I have. Not that that matters I suppose.
I have no idea what color they are.The bigger diameter is the shock shaft.Most aftermarket shocks have a larger diameter "can" too.The eyes and bushings are all the same size.If it were me,I'd just buy some new hourglass shaped bushings.I gave all of my extra ones away to JF members.
__________________
Quote:
When I had 3.07s I would draft behind birds as an attempt to do the speed limit.
---------------------------------
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
JealousDad
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 276
Call Rancho. They will have one shipped to you in 2 or 3 days.
JealousDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,493
and make sure you're not using your shocks as bumpstops, so you dont bust another bar pin and bushing.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.