Broken rear shock bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broken rear shock bolt

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
gsc0527
2011 JK Wrangler 

Broken rear shock bolt

Okay, totally new here and I think I really screwed up. I have read serveral thousands of threads and have "borrowed" everal of your ideas.

Changing shocks on my new 2000 Jeep TJ. No problems with the front shocks but when I was taking the rear shock off, one of the bolts in the upper "keeper" broke.

It feels like the nut on top has been welded in and need help/ suggestions that won't cost a furtune.

gsc0527 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
gotmudnj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

try a few things screw extractor and drill it out with that. or drill the screw itself and re tap the hole if you can. i did that and had to heat the hole up and drill it out and re tap the whole. it was a pain but easy to get to... easier than on my friends xj that u have to weld a bracket to a nut so u can bolt it up when it breaks lol.
gotmudnj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
bty34
2000 TJ Wrangler 

When that happened to me, I cut a 3x3 hole in the floor above the mounts to get access to the nuts. Then removed the old ones, welded in new nuts and welded the floor back up. It went pretty smoothly.
bty34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Coldfever
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used an air hammer and knocked the welded nuts off. Some grade 8 hardware and I was good to go. So far I have had to replace 2 of them. After I had the Jeep all back together I decided that I should have done all of them at the same time. Next time I have to change the shocks I am sure the other two will break.
Coldfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
gsc0527
2011 JK Wrangler 

I like the air hammer idea. Any suggestions for where to find the grade 8 hardware? Does anyone know the bolt size(s)? Looking at the lower rear bolt/ nut assembly it too looks to be about 30% worn through with corrosion.
gsc0527 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Coldfever
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just grabbed a few different size nuts, bolts, and washers from Tractor Supply.
Coldfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lowes has Grade 8
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I usually have good luck getting grade 8 stuff from my local hardware store. i would look there and then maybe lowes or home depot
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
russ1436
2012 JK Wrangler 

Had this problem today. Broke all the bolts. Had to drill them out and then used grade 8 bolts and nuts and washers from Home Depot. Took HOURS. I had no luck trying to beat out the broken bolt with a punch and a BFH.

The joys of owning a 10 year old midwest Jeep
russ1436 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
footypaul
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Manager to break the first one I touched today, after a week of pb blaster. Started raining before I resolved it. I have a 1in bl. Possible to grab the other end of the bolt with vice grips and turn it on through? My drill is dead and my buddy that usually helps me with stuff is out of town.
footypaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Keith_C
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up cutting a hole in the back and grinding the square nut off.

Whoever welded mine on made sure Jeep got their moneys worth that day.

They are 5/16" bolts.
Keith_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
footypaul
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Still no relif. Mine is more than just tacked on. I can't get a decent angle to try to twist the nut off. Tried a chisel for a minute in the rain. Maybe better luck tomorrow. I will try loosening the body mounts and jacking up the body so I can get a socket and breaker bar or sawzall on it.
footypaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
Keith_C
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by footypaul View Post
Still no relif. Mine is more than just tacked on. I can't get a decent angle to try to twist the nut off. Tried a chisel for a minute in the rain. Maybe better luck tomorrow. I will try loosening the body mounts and jacking up the body so I can get a socket and breaker bar or sawzall on it.
I have a 1.25" BL and still couldn't get to it with a sawzall. Just can't get a good angle on it. I tried an air chisel on the other side and actually tore some of the metal off with the nut.
Keith_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just drilled the welded nut out, purchased a longer grade 8 bolt and used a washer and nut on top of the welded nut. Held up great for 4 years of wheeling.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Are we talking about upper shock mount bolt or body mount bolt near upper shock mounts? Original post a little unclear and seems like you are getting answers to both depending on how people read it. One is a lot easier to solve than the other.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.