Broken rear Rubicon locker? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broken rear Rubicon locker?

BDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRuffstuff 10 year saleRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Broken rear Rubicon locker?

Ok folks, I have an issue and think it is the rear locker in my 2005 Rubicon LJ... let me know if there is something else I should look at tomorrow when I have daylight but here are the symptoms. Driving in a straight line everything is totally normal but when I turn either left or right moving forward or reverse there are "clunking" noises and the Jeep noticeably lurches. I jacked up the passenger rear with the front chocked and the transmission and transfer case in neutral and could only rotate the tire maybe almost 1/8 rotation before it bound solid in either direction. My thought is that the helical gears went in the Trulock but I am open to suggestions. Thanks all.

"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it. If you pull the cover on the differential, you'll know right away. There will be lots of metal chunks sitting at the bottom.
Unread 12-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ya, pulling the cover is going to wait until after work tomorrow... supposed to have a half day, we'll see how that works out.

Quote:
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
Unread 12-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
bfr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwilson74
My thought is that the helical gears went in the Trulock but I am open to suggestions. Thanks all.
I had the same symptoms and this is exactly what was wrong.
Unread 12-31-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

parts are not available for the true loc, unless u find used ones.
its time for an arb! sorry for your loss.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You think ARB or just a front Rubicon locker since they seem pretty reliable? I am on 35's and I do wheel it but won't be going any larger on tire size on these axles.

Quote:
Unread 12-31-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another option is to install a Rubi front locker into the rear, if you are OK with open diffs on both ends.
Unread 12-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Remember if you go ARB you'll need OBA / compressor, or an ARB pressure regulator if you all ready have OBA... Ox is an option and add the electrical actuator that could run off the current wires to the factory air pump
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Build thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my...hread-2778642/

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ya, all that extra expense is why I don't just jump straight on an ARB... If I decide to go bigger with this thing I have a set of Snow Fighter axles that I can build as I put aside money but right now it's post holidays and I am a bit light on cash. If there is a significant reason not to do a front Rubicon locker then I could swing the ARB, but I don't want to do it just to get the sticker if you know what I mean. Has anyone trashed a front rubi locker in the rear axle? I don't really care about losing the LS function, thats what broke anyway!

Quote:
Unread 12-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwilson74 View Post
Ya, all that extra expense is why I don't just jump straight on an ARB... If I decide to go bigger with this thing I have a set of Snow Fighter axles that I can build as I put aside money but right now it's post holidays and I am a bit light on cash. If there is a significant reason not to do a front Rubicon locker then I could swing the ARB, but I don't want to do it just to get the sticker if you know what I mean. Has anyone trashed a front rubi locker in the rear axle? I don't really care about losing the LS function, thats what broke anyway!
Whats the cost of a front locker vs installing an ARB / OX. you'll have to reset the gears either way, I'm pretty sure...
LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Build thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my...hread-2778642/

Unread 12-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #11
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The front stocker if I can get one looks like its around $900. ARB is around 1100 PLUS all the goodies to make it work which will add up, I have been wanting to add an OBA system but now is not a great time. Not really interested in the OX lockers, just not a fan of the engagement mechanism. Could do an Ected for around 800 but then still need to wire it up. Plus now the question comes into play of do I try to make lemonade out of lemons and use this as an opportunity to regear the front too and go to 4.56's?

Quote:
Unread 12-31-2014, 03:17 PM   #12
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

a front locker will do fine! look for a used one, i have seen them used pretty cheap.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

For 800-900 for stock locker, do it right and upgrade. Hard not to regear while your there... But I could see waiting if you are ok w current gearing. . as for etched wiring you could use the leads to current locker pump... And do locker switch bypass and independent locker control...

Unread 12-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #14
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I typically do all my own wrenching but have only played with gear setups once a long time ago and don't currently have a place to do the work... The shop I am going to have do the work is someone I trust and he is a Yukon guy, with everything in the equation he is suggesting a Zip locker for the rear. Pricing comes out to be close to what the stock unit is but I still have to add the compressor... BUT then I have the OBA setup I have been planning anyway and the gearing and locker is all under warranty through them. I am doing some research on the Zip now.

Quote:
Unread 12-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #15
speed-racer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've trashed 1 stock rear and 1 stock front locker in the rear. I bought 2 yukon zip lockers. When I removed the "good" front locker from the front axle the side gears were cracked and on their way out. I'm wheeling 35s too. Every time was a bounce and low air pressure. My wheeling buddy also has a rubicon and broke a stock rear and a stock front in the rear on 35s. He is now on a grizzly locker, but it doesn't drive so well with the grizzly and 4" short arm. With not so steep control arms it may not drive so bad, but as it is the axle tries to crawl under the jeep in corners. It's a 5 speed as well.

My advice is upgrade now if you wheel it hard, even if it's occasional. If you can afford to do so, I'd put a $550 grizzly (I think he got it for that trough amazon) in it. It is very apparent where the issues are with the stock lockers once you have a zip or arb for comparison. Besides the obvious material differences, zip had 4 pinions rather than two and machined side gears rather than cast.
speed-racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.