broken off spark plug - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > broken off spark plug

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-22-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
bobjp

broken off spark plug

Does anyone have any tips for removing a broken spark plug? It is sticking out a bit, but the hex part is broken off. It is not easy to get to. I don't want to drill it out until I have exhausted all other options.
any tips would be great
Thanks a lot

Unread 06-22-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
Expat
Frequent flyer

Dude that really sucks. I feel for you. I wish you luck but I forsee a pulled head.
3.5" RE springs, JKS F&R adj track bars, JKS adj CAs (all 8), OME LT shocks, JKS quicker discos, JKS 1.25" BL, MORE BP MML, 35" Cooper SSTs on 057 Eagle Alloys, 4.56s Detroit lockers, Alloy USA front and rear axles, Currie HD steering, 52" Hanson front bumper, Warn 9.5ti with in-cab control, Kilby steering box skid, Jeeperman rear bumper/tire carrier, Jeeperman trail skidz, 33 Eng TT, JB SSSYE, TW driveshaft, and lots more........
2007 WK Overland Steel Blue..wifes
1997 ZJ Laredo...sons
2004 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Diesel..My TV and DD and Lance camper carrier
2003 Chaparral 223 deck boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjp98TJ
drop the purse, and hit it.
Expat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
fundabug

That happened to a guy I work with just last month. He drilled it out, but in the process he got a lot of metal shavings in the cylinder, so he had to clean that out. After about 2 weeks he got it all done himself, but on his way home 2 days later some girl on a cell phone ran a stop sign and totalled his truck.

2004 Wrangler X 4.0 I6 Solar Yellow

OK, so I messed up the quote in my sig....I was probably on the downhill side of a few beers when I did it......Somebody say something funny so I can get a new one.
fundabug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
dieseljeep

What the &#@%

What in the heck is going on? I haven't had to worry or mess w/ spark plugs in I don't know how long. I've never even heard of being able to break a plug off below the hex. Is the quality of spark plugs going to crap or is this a Jeep issue?
dieseljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep
What in the heck is going on? I haven't had to worry or mess w/ spark plugs in I don't know how long. I've never even heard of being able to break a plug off below the hex. Is the quality of spark plugs going to crap or is this a Jeep issue?
Exactly what I was thinking : How did it break below the hex head area?? Ive broken spark plugs several times on all kinds of vehicles but it was always the porcelean (sp?) part that is sticking out and I was still able to put a socket or spark plug wrench on it to remove and replace it. I cant even see how it could break below that point? How did it happen or what where you doing? Will an easy out work?
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
TJZep

anything to grab with vise grips?? any way u could notch it and use a flathead screwdriver? How did you break the hex part off? did it happen while trying to remove it? if so maybe it is pretty frozen, in which case u need to drill it out. Please, whatever you do, remove the head before drilling, it will save you alot of headaches later, for the work it will take now to remove it.
TJZep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
bobjp

It is actually in a ford truck not the Jeep. It broke just below the hex part. There is about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of metal sticking out. These plug have never been changed as far as I can tell (it's someone else's truck). It broke because it is frozen in there. I am going to try heating it with a torch, but the head is aluminum so I can't get it very hot. I will try notching it and beating with a hammer and screwdriver. Any more tips, post them up.

Thanks
Unread 06-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Dont Heat It If It Has Aluminum Heads They Are To Expensive To Mess Up Plus You Will Not Be Able To Get Just One Head To Relace It. Spark Plugs In Aluminum Heads Need To Have Anti-sieze Put On Hte Threads Before Installing (maybe This Is Why They Are So Stuck) If Vise Grips Or Similiar Doesnt Work I Would Take The Head Of (no Question About It) Its Not That Hard To Remove Fuel Injected Or Carbuerated. It Is Not Fun Though I Just Recently Had To Pull My Aluminum Heads Off Of My Ford P/u Because I Blew The Head Gaskets With Only 6psi Of Boost (think I Ran Low On Fuel Pressure) Anyways It Took Most Of The Weekend On A Fuel Injected Vehicle
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 04:02 PM   #9
vector6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundabug
That happened to a guy I work with just last month. He drilled it out, but in the process he got a lot of metal shavings in the cylinder, so he had to clean that out. After about 2 weeks he got it all done himself, but on his way home 2 days later some girl on a cell phone ran a stop sign and totalled his truck.

Karma..
vector6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
bee guz

spark plug

Have you tryed an easy out, if you can drill a hole, but you don't want anything droping into the cyl. hole, or you will have to remove the head.
bee guz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #11
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=FLATFENDER54] Spark Plugs In Aluminum Heads Need To Have Anti-sieze Put On Hte Threads Before Installing (maybe This Is Why They Are So Stuck) [QUOTE]

VERY VERY true, ask me how I know. Wait a minute, you already know now. I use anti-sieze on all plugs no matter what. Please use from now on untill the day you die.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.