broken banjo bolt... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > broken banjo bolt...

FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 12-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
svt_4_me
1997 XJ Cherokee 

broken banjo bolt...

i replaced the calipers on the front of my jeep, but when i got it all back together the driver's side was leaking a little bit at the banjo bolt. i tried to tighten up a little more and the damn bolt broke right off. i was able to get it out of the caliper, but i need to find another one. anybody know where to get one? is this a dealer only part?

svt_4_me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
Brimmstone

Most real parts store still stock these. By real I mean the old shop that looks like it's been there since the early 1900s. If you still can't find one I'll be going through Cincinnati in a few days on my way to Texas and I can meet you somewhere with one. Send me a PM and I'll give you my cell number to contact me.
Brimmstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dealer part number is 6035911AA. List price only $1.75

I'm not exactly sure where you are, but these two dealers in the Cinci area show it in stock

SCORE CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP FRANKLIN OH USA Phone: (513)-422-2500

KERRY CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE, INC. MILFORD OH USA Phone: (513)-248-3915

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Brimmstone

I just checked Advance Auto Parts website they have a bolt from Dorman for 17.99 plus shipping. The part number is 484206. I would also take the copper crush washers and hang them from a piece of wire and heat them with something till they are red then dunk them in water to cool them down. what this does in anneal them so they will seal better. We have been doing this for years now and have never had a leak.
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

$17.99 are you kidding??? That's more than 10x dealer price!

Agreed you should replace both crush washers too. Dealer p/n J3237672 on those.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
svt_4_me
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr
$17.99 are you kidding??? That's more than 10x dealer price!

Agreed you should replace both crush washers too. Dealer p/n J3237672 on those.
thanks for the help... i just called the local dealer (KIDD), but they don't have any. the crush washers were brand new that i installed, not sure why they were leaking... they were much thicker than the washers that were on the old calipers though.
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:34 AM   #7
Brimmstone

I know that. I'm a little shocked myself at the price. That was taken directly off their website. I will say this though. Sometimes the dealer is cheaper on parts then other places. I got synchros for my brothers TJ for 15 dollars cheaper from the dealer than from 4WD.com. Hows that for a shock.
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Brimmstone

As to the crush washers anytime I deal with copper crush washers I anneal them. Doesn't matter if they are new or not. The copper gets work hardened when they stamp it out as they are being made. Annealing them softens them back up where they will seal right.
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #9
svt_4_me
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimmstone
As to the crush washers anytime I deal with copper crush washers I anneal them. Doesn't matter if they are new or not. The copper gets work hardened when they stamp it out as they are being made. Annealing them softens them back up where they will seal right.
thanks for the tip... i will definitely try this.
Unread 12-07-2007, 10:41 AM   #10
Brimmstone

You can use the flame from your stove in the house if you have a gas stove. (don't let your wife or girlfriend catch you doing this) Just take a wire coat hanger and hang the washers on it then hold them in the flame till they turn red then dunk them in some water. You can tell the difference because before you soften them they are hard to bend after softening them you can bend them with your fingers.
Unread 12-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had a hard time finding them too. Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts and Oreilys didnt have the correct size availible. I only found them at a NAPA store. They dont come up in ther computer as being specific to jeeps so just ask for 3/8 -24 banjo bolts. I think they were like 3 dollars a piece.
TheDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.