Broke my rear shocks ftw - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Broke my rear shocks ftw

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 01-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
twistid

Broke my rear shocks ftw

Went wheeling today pretty hard and both rear shocks have broken there upper mounts and are not hanging freely in place. Lower mounts appear to be good. The right rear mount has the bar where the upper would attach to however the left rear has nothing, I think whatever it is supposed to attach to has broken off?

Now that the stock mounts have already failed should I go ahead and relocate my rear shocks for better articulation? Would relocating prevent this from happening again? Any help would be greatly appreciated

twistid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Limit straps would prevent that from happening

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

that's exactly what proper bumpstop extensions and limit straps are designed to prevent.

bumpstop and shock relocation write-ups linked below.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
twistid

Thanks for the help, I will most def set proper bumpstop when everything is repaired correctly. Searching quadratec I am only able to find lower shock mount relocation kits, is there any benefit to relocating the upper mounts, or should I just go about fixing the stock mounts?

I wasn't able to crawl under there to get a good look so I'm not sure of the damage so far, I'm really hoping there's not going to be any welding involved but from searching it looks like breaking bolts is extremely common.
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

read through the links in his sig, then stop shopping at q-tek for custom parts.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
twistid

I think the third, fourth, sixth, and eighth picture shows the two bolts that hold the pin that the shock is supposed to attach to? It appears that the pin was broken clean off and bent the metal washers in the process...
Unread 01-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

yup, you destroyed the bar pins on the shocks because you don't have enough bumpstop extension - which is clearly visible in the pics. the stock shock mounts are just fine. if you don't adjust the set the bumpstop extensions properly, it will happen again.
Unread 01-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
twistid

Thanks Unlimited04, you've once again saved the day (first trackbar/pitman arm, and now bumpstop/shocks). I will get a new set of rear shocks along with bump stop extensions (I'm thinking 2.5" to be on the safe side).

I've been reading the bumpstop & shockguide while searching also and I'm not sure if bar pin eliminators would be an extra thing to add or not, I read that it helps make changing shocks easier as well. ( http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/ter...or-p-6104.html )

I was looking at Fox Shocks previously recommended ( http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...&categoryId=22 ) and it looks like they come with bar pins preinstalled, so I'm thinking I would only need to bolt them up in the factory location and I should be good to go along with getting the new bump stops?
Unread 10-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
stadleroux
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My one rear bar pin is also toast. Dunno if it's related, but I broke both left front CAs on my latest outing. Was lucky enough to have some very handy mates right there who knew how to handle a pair of ratchet straps and used them to tie my axle to the lower CA and the spring perch, otherwise I dunno how I'd have got my Jeep out of there! As it were, I was able to drive out of the trail on an escape route, which had it's own little steepish steps, btw.

Anyway, I've been considering getting a pair of air springs for the rear for some time now, and if I understand them correctly they would replace and effectively extend the bumpstops somewhat, right?

FYI, I have a 2.5" Rough Country lift with a pair of 3" BDS springs in the rear.
Unread 10-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Spray the crap out of them upper bolts with PB Blaster or something. They usually snap off then big fight.
Jim
Unread 10-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadleroux View Post
Anyway, I've been considering getting a pair of air springs for the rear for some time now, and if I understand them correctly they would replace and effectively extend the bumpstops somewhat, right?
what do you mean "air springs"?

I run AirLift load leveling air bags inside the rear springs, and I can tell you for sure that they do NOT replace properly extended bumpstops.
Unread 10-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
stadleroux
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
what do you mean "air springs"?

I run AirLift load leveling air bags inside the rear springs, and I can tell you for sure that they do NOT replace properly extended bumpstops.
Oh, OK ... Then I was clearly misunderstanding the description I was given by the local dealer. Yep, just checked and these ones are also made by AirLift, so they're probably the same as yours. I guess you would recommend them, right? You wouldn't perhaps have a photo handy of how they're fitted?
Unread 10-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadleroux View Post
I guess you would recommend them, right? You wouldn't perhaps have a photo handy of how they're fitted?
see my build thread.
Unread 10-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
TroubleNEO
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
Spray the crap out of them upper bolts with PB Blaster or something. They usually snap off then big fight.
Jim
If they snap off they should just fall right out if I'm not totally out of my mind here. They don't thread into anything, just bolt through the hole with a normal nut and bolt...

Looking for: Fan shroud, interior 03-06 plastic windshield trim. PM me.
TroubleNEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleNEO View Post
If they snap off they should just fall right out if I'm not totally out of my mind here. They don't thread into anything, just bolt through the hole with a normal nut and bolt...
if they snap off it sucks because the nut is welded to the frame...between the body and the frame in a rather tight spot. they're a PITA to get to, unless you have a BL, willing to lift the body off the frame a little, or remove the gas tank.

the bolts are hardened steel, and you can drill them out with a cobalt bit...just takes a while and requires cutting oil. if you snap the bit inside the busted bolt, you're really screwed because you then need to torch them off.

I drilled mine out, even the ones that did come out fine, and installed a regular bolt/nut, which then requires the ability to prevent the nut from spinning up top (almost a two person job).

some people just rotate the shocks 90° and drill new holes. or fish a dremel tool up there and try cutting the weld-nuts off that way.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.