Bricktop2 Build Thread (stroker, JK 44s, RE stretch kit) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 278 Old 07-27-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

Bricktop2 Build Thread (stroker, JK 44s, RE stretch kit)

I've got little tidbits on this all over the place so I'm going to stop and throw it all into one thread.

First, a pic of the Jeep when I got it:

img00701.jpg

img00698.jpg

2002 in Patriot Blue with beige interior. Don't have interior pics, but seats were starting to tear and looked like hell. 4.0L is toast. 70,000 miles. Lift is the most hacked up mess I've ever seen under a Jeep.

First step was pulling the motor and sending in to Portland Engine Rebuilders. Few weeks later, my 4.0 is a 4.6.

Attachment 81078

stroker3.jpg

Here are some specs:

The bore is 30 over @ 3.905- piston measured 3.903

258 connecting rods and crankshaft.

Pistons are d shaped dish piston 1.581"

Actual displacement is 279.15 cu in or about 4.57L

stroker.jpg

"Tightening the nut behind the wheel is the most cost effective way to improve the performance of any vehicle."

JK Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TJ Tub Trailer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 278 Old 07-27-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Chad at Golen dialed in a performance head for me. GREAT guy.

golen-head.jpg

Headers, intake, and exhaust all came in a couple weeks ago. Should be up and running tomorrow.

I'll probably catch a little hell for this, but I had Coach leather installed. Easier to wipe up, the material in it looked like hell, and I wanted it to be unique. Here's a pic of the seats (thanks again Outwornangel for the killer design):

leather1.jpg

leather2.jpg

leather3.jpg

"Tightening the nut behind the wheel is the most cost effective way to improve the performance of any vehicle."

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer
post #3 of 278 Old 07-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Seats came out great!

SAVVY OFF ROAD - Winner of the King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge FIVE years in a row!

Email me for the fastest response:

Like us on Facebook

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee

2003 TJ Project Unrolled

post #4 of 278 Old 07-27-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Ordered 2 new Dana 44 JK Rubicon axles and the Rubicon Express 2.5" Extreme-Duty Rear Radius Arm 4" Stretch. We're going to take detailed pics of the process of replacing the axles and making the lift work with it. Probably going to go with a GenRight fuel tank (unless anyone has a different idea) to work with the rear axle's new placement.

I should end up about 5" wider (give or take depending on wheels) and about 4" longer. I'm going to try to keep the wheels tucked in so I don't end up too wide. Will be running 35s.

I'm going with the JK axles for several reasons. They're relatively inexpensive compared to what's on the market, I like the idea of being a little wider, they're brand new, and the electronic lockers should be a breeze to wire up. I also already have a couple sets of JK wheels and tires so the money I save on wheels and tires will probably pay for the majority of the axles.

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer
post #5 of 278 Old 07-27-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Jeff at Bushwacker got me a set of the new TJ flat flares so I'm hoping I can make them work with the modified rear wheel wells. We'll make 'em work somehow.

Got a screaming deal on a used Warn bumper and a Warn 8000lb winch a few weeks ago and threw them on. Don't have any pics of the install, but there are enough of them on here anyways. Just an old winch an old bumper in mediocre shape.

I will post up some pics tomorrow hopefully. Sorry for the lack of detailed info and pics. The rest is where it will get interesting anyways and I'll make sure to document the process closely.

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer
post #6 of 278 Old 07-27-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
Seats came out great!
Thanks. Like I said, I'm going for unique and capable on this Jeep. Leather only makes it go faster, doesn't do much for offroad capability, but I'm ok with it.

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer
post #7 of 278 Old 07-27-2009, 06:01 PM
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a stroker from Chad, he does excellent work!You won't be sorry with the head!Good luck on the build!
post #8 of 278 Old 07-28-2009, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
I have a stroker from Chad, he does excellent work!You won't be sorry with the head!Good luck on the build!
Thanks. Axle parts are rolling in as I type this. I can't wait to get this thing on (off) the road. Any advice or input as I move along in this project would be appreciated. I've got some great techs around here, but a couple hundred extra eyes can come in handy. I made several changes to my JK build based on input from this site and I imagine I'll do the same with this one.

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer
post #9 of 278 Old 07-28-2009, 04:19 PM
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

If it's got an auto in it, I can't express enough to remember to put a new paper gasket on the end of CKP (crankshaft position sensor) or it will get eaten ,chewed up and spit out! I found out the hard way when doing the camshaft breakin for 20 minutes! It started to run like crap until I became aware of this important little gasket.
post #10 of 278 Old 07-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Redarcher89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am looking forward to this build. I am wanting to put a set of JK axles under my TJ. Are they stock JK rubi axles, or do they already have TJ mounting brackets on them? Where did you get them? Thanks
post #11 of 278 Old 07-29-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarcher89 View Post
I am looking forward to this build. I am wanting to put a set of JK axles under my TJ. Are they stock JK rubi axles, or do they already have TJ mounting brackets on them? Where did you get them? Thanks
Bought the axles new from Mopar, bought the TJ mounting brackets from Rubicon Express. I don't think the axle swap is going to be a big deal, but we'll see.

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer
post #12 of 278 Old 08-02-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

I got a call when I was out of town on Friday and the message about the tranny cooler line blowing on the test run. I'm back in town today and will get more info tomorrow. Was hoping to start putting a few miles on it prior to the axle swaps, but it looks like I may have a day or two more to wait. Any ideas what would cause this or what I can do to ensure it won't happen again?

On an unrelated note, we took my buddy's JK out to Winchester Bay this weekend for a little fun. Here's a couple pics:

jeep-jump-2.jpg

jeep-jump-4.jpg

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer
post #13 of 278 Old 08-02-2009, 12:28 PM
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to see how this build turns out! You going to run tube fenders with the stretch? Fuel Cell? What all are you going with in this build?

Other Vehicles:
07 Mustang, Whipple, 465 rwhp, Magnaflow, Hurst , AVIC D3, Spec 3+, BMR CA's, Autometer, FRPP Springs

08 F150 5.4L, Super 40 SIDO, Roush Grille, Edge Evolution, Truxport, 2.5" AS Level, 1.5" AAL, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
post #14 of 278 Old 08-02-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler2007 View Post
Can't wait to see how this build turns out! You going to run tube fenders with the stretch? Fuel Cell? What all are you going with in this build?
Thanks! I'm going to try to run the Bushwacker flat flares if I can modify them to fit the modified wheel arches and I think I'm going to go with the Genright fuel tank. It should work with the axle moved back 4 inches or so. I'm not too worried about extra fuel capacity. I have a TJ tub trailer that I put a factory tank back into with a fuel pump and wired it up so it's a kind of mobile filling station with 19 gallons.

I'm not sure where this project will go. I'm hoping to not go too crazy. I need a strong roll cage (any recommendations would be appreciated) but other than that, I think other than a few lights and a decent stereo (I had the Mopar navigation in my '06 Rubi and was pretty happy with it so I'll probably try to find another one of those) I'll probably not do much.

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer
post #15 of 278 Old 08-02-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
BRICKTOP2

2008 JK Wrangler 

Axles housings are in. That was the last thing I was waiting for.

jk-axles.jpg

JK Build Thread

TJ Tub Trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.