Braking after putting JK Wheels on a TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Braking after putting JK Wheels on a TJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 05-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
mtdodson
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Braking after putting JK Wheels on a TJ

I recently put 17inch Rubicon JK wheels on my 97 TJ - factory BF Goodrich Mud Terrain with very little wear. I used the SpiderTrax spacers.

Jeep rides nice and brakes smoothly at highway speeds, but braking gets rough from 15mph or so down to 0. Pedal doesn't pulsate, but it's loud and not smooth, and the front of the Jeep and maybe the tires feel to have some vibration in them. It's not like any braking issue I've encountered before. My wife said it sounds a little like a jet engine when stopping. It's only that last little bit of slowdown from around 15mph or so when coming to a stop.

Any ideas/suggestions to troubleshoot? Are these wheels/tires too much mass & weight for stock TJ brakes?

Thanks,

Mark

mtdodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Did you go from street tires to the rubicon mud tires? Have you ever driven on mud tires before? Maybe a video with the sound would help, but I suspect you are just hearing tire noise as replacing tires and wheels shouldn't have any effect on the brakes. Worst case you might see a slightly longer stopping distance related to the larger tires, but no different noises from the brakes.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to TJ Forum since this question is TJ specific.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's the tires. Perfectly normal.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
mtdodson
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your feedback guys. That's probably it, and good to hear.

In the past, I've run BF Goodrich AT and the Goodyear Wrangler GS/As. The noise was the tires for sure. It's the feel of the braking that made me apprehensive. It's not as smooth as I'm used to. It's a little like the feeling you'd get from rotors that need to be turned, but not quite the same. Almost like I can feel the mass of the larger wheels and tires through the brakes, but only getting that feeling at slow speeds (from 15-20mph down to 0). Something I've never felt in braking either Wrangler I've owned.

Really appreciate both of your responses.
mtdodson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.