brakes need to be bleed or wth??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > brakes need to be bleed or wth???

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-30-2014, 12:25 AM   #1
Moezer
2014 JK Wrangler 

brakes need to be bleed or wth???

Hey guys so I have this problem with my jeeps brakes I think ever since the winter hit when I come to stop on ice or snow my jeeps brakes just lock up in the back, I got a lock right locker in the back, it feels like the brakes r locking up and the locker starts to rachet or something any how it's very vilent it doesn't matter how slow I'm pressing on the brakes or not.

I think I need to bleed the brakes or I have air in the system just looking for other opinions thank you

Moezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:18 AM   #2
Dale60
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moezer
Hey guys so I have this problem with my jeeps brakes I think ever since the winter hit when I come to stop on ice or snow my jeeps brakes just lock up in the back, I got a lock right locker in the back, it feels like the brakes r locking up and the locker starts to rachet or something any how it's very vilent it doesn't matter how slow I'm pressing on the brakes or not. I think I need to bleed the brakes or I have air in the system just looking for other opinions thank you
The same thing happened to my dodge. Turned out to be the shoes were on wrong. My bad. Small shoe to the front. Contrary to what makes sense. Seems the front shoe would get more abuse so larger would be better. But from what I read it's about balance. Hope it's this simple.
Dale60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #3
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Take a look at your axle seals and make sure they are not leaking gear oil onto your drums. Pull off your brake drums and look for oil/grease on the inside of the drums and on the brake shoes.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moezer View Post
Hey guys so I have this problem with my jeeps brakes I think ever since the winter hit when I come to stop on ice or snow my jeeps brakes just lock up in the back, I got a lock right locker in the back, it feels like the brakes r locking up and the locker starts to rachet or something any how it's very vilent it doesn't matter how slow I'm pressing on the brakes or not.

I think I need to bleed the brakes or I have air in the system just looking for other opinions thank you
What happens when you do the same thing in 4 high?
Unread 01-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Moezer
2014 JK Wrangler 

All seals are good, I just changed the rear diff oil, and checked every thing and swapped my tires around, no oil on the drums, I also haven't off roaded yet so they are clean as normal.

I have not tried it in 4 lo or 4 hi, this happens in 2wd... and when it does happen seems like the back just starts hopping, from the passenger side.

Ill take a closer look at it this Friday as I have off.

Could this be that the passenger side shoes are tighter then the driver side and its causing it to lock up on that one side?
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
Dave02TJ
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moezer View Post
All seals are good, I just changed the rear diff oil, and checked every thing and swapped my tires around, no oil on the drums, I also haven't off roaded yet so they are clean as normal.

I have not tried it in 4 lo or 4 hi, this happens in 2wd... and when it does happen seems like the back just starts hopping, from the passenger side.

Ill take a closer look at it this Friday as I have off.

Could this be that the passenger side shoes are tighter then the driver side and its causing it to lock up on that one side?
You want the brake adjustment equal on both sides, that's a given.
Someone else said make sure the primary shoe is towards the front of the axle (good advice). The primary shoe is the one with less friction material (shorter strip of material).

Make sure that both wheel cylinders are free! If you have a frozen wheel cylinder one wheel will not have braking and the locker is going to be noisey.
Dave02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
Moezer
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'll be taking it apart in the morning to check the shoes I'll look at what one has the less Friction

I tried it in 4 high and it was worse first it skipped then I put the brakes on just a little bit and all I heated was the locker ticking sounds like grinding gears, I'm scared to press the brakes the bouncing is really scarry and I'm not sure if that would damage the locker or brake an axle all together but I'm running chromys

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.