Brakes/Bearings question, help!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brakes/Bearings question, help!?

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
dustinsspace
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Brakes/Bearings question, help!?

So i recently upgraded from 31's which measure 29" to true 33 MT's which measure 33's on my 97 Sahara. Problem is as soon as i drove out of the shop after mount and balancing the new tires a screaching noise was coming from the front left brake dust cover. I pulled over and bent it back some and was fine until a few days later and now whenever stopping or starting from a stop, usually under 15 MPH i feel a grabbing feel in the gas or brake pedal. feels like as the rotors turn it is grabbing the brake pad or something. At higher speeds this dissappears. I just replaced the rotos and pads two days ago and it didnt fix the problem. Please help with suggestions on what to do? could this be a wheel bearing problem, i have limited mchanical knowledgea and dont know much past rotors and pads.

dustinsspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

More than likley the piston on the brake calliper has become stuck in the bore, it is a common Jeep problem.

Easily fixed, remove the calliper, pull the piston out and use some emery cloth to sand the rust off the outside of the bore, between the hydraulic seal and the boot. Clean with brake cleaner and reassemble. You may need a new seal kit, I did as I knackered the seals removing them.

Hope that helps
Kiwi_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
chaddo78
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey man I had the same issue after replacing pads/ rotors it was a stuck caliper got new ones today, fixed problem i guess they stick when you disturb them. Check your brake hoses as they may have caused the caliper failure. It drove me crazy for a month with the noise I hope this is a fix! Happy Jeeping!
chaddo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:44 AM   #4
dustinsspace
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey thx for the great advice I didnt even now that could happen, and I defanately didnt realize the calipers were only $20 from the parts store. Guess i figured they be alot more expensive because of how bulky they are. Im going to pick some new ones up asap, check the lines and put em on this weekend, thx again!!
dustinsspace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes , help needed , u joint , wheel bearing

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.