Brake Pads And Rotors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake Pads And Rotors

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-20-2004, 07:32 AM   #1
WR4NGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Brake Pads And Rotors

The stealership told me to replace my pads and rotors it's 450 dollars. I told them not to do it.

They told me the pads need replaced and the rotors are a bit rusted (not warped) so they need replaced too.

How much are pads and rotors (assuming I take them somewhere and they can't be cut), so that I can do the overhaul myself.

WR4NGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 07:49 AM   #2
wyldejackyl

rust hurts nothing. Measure them and cut them if they are in spec.
NEVER get your jeep serviced at a dealer. Would you want your teeth worked on by a 8th grade biology student? That's how the mechanics are at the dealer.
55/100W H4 Hella headlamp conversion w/ dual relays
wyldejackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
WR4NGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldejackyl
NEVER get your jeep serviced at a dealer. Would you want your teeth worked on by a 8th grade biology student? That's how the mechanics are at the dealer.
I just needed to know what was wrong first before I did anything. I'm not super-jeep guy, so I'm still hesitant to work on some things. I plan on getting some nice rotors and pads and doing it myself, I just needed a double-take on it.

(an 8th grade teacher is better than what I can do for most stuff)
Unread 07-20-2004, 09:27 AM   #4
chevtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldejackyl

Doh!

Ex-dealer mechanic thinking this may not be an entirely accurate statement.

chevtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 09:49 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rust on cast rotors is normal, I almost can't believe that dealer mechanic said they need replacing because they are "a little rusted". Brake pads sell for $30 or so and it takes maybe an hour to replace both sides with no special tools needed.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 09:56 AM   #6
WR4NGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry, I made sure to ask him if they were warped, and he said no.

Maybe they have a metal glaze on them, as frequent commuting puts more than normal stress on my brakes, and because he said they can't turn them they need replacing?

Would you suggest replacing the pads first, and based on results determine if new rotors are needed?
Unread 07-20-2004, 09:58 AM   #7
WR4NGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR4NGLER

Maybe they have a metal glaze on them, as frequent commuting puts more than normal stress on my brakes, and because he said they can't turn them they need replacing?

Would you suggest replacing the pads first, and based on results determine if new rotors are needed?
The Jeep is at the dealer now, and I paid $40 to diagnose it, so when I pick it up I can ask more questions (since I paid to get the problem diagnosed). I will ask specifically why they think it needs replacing and that I heard non-warped rotors should be fine.

Who knows, they might have just been trying to screw me over.
Unread 07-20-2004, 09:59 AM   #8
chevtech

Quote:

Light rust pitting is pretty common in rotors. Thing is though, the rust will imbed itself in the pads and can cause squeaky brakes. If it is just light pitting I would just have them resurfaced. If the pitting is severe and you can see it only gets worse as you cut into the rotor (sometimes they do that, rusting from the inside) than you may consider just replacing them.

chevtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 10:01 AM   #9
cravnpup

You can get performance rotors and pads for $250 shipped... Do not get Chrysler replacement parts!! They will warp in no time.. BTW, it's not necessarily the mechanics that are bad, it's the Service Managers and the parts they have to work with that should steer you away.. Most service managers are told to do the most profitable repair, not the easiest or cheapest. That means replacing bad parts with an OEM part that's double the aftermarket price and half the aftermarket quality... If you can start doing your own work, I'd highly recommend it. Start small and work your way up as your confidence grows. You'll save a ton of money, and you'll be learning a valueable tool that can be used for the rest of your life..

2002 TJ-X (hers) - 4.0, 5 speed, 3.73's (open), 2" BB with 32" BFG AT's on AR23's, Turbo City intake, 180* t-stat with highflow housing, and a Magnaflow 14" catback with straight pipe (can you say loud?)..
cravnpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 10:03 AM   #10
WR4NGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevtech
Light rust pitting is pretty common in rotors. Thing is though, the rust will imbed itself in the pads and can cause squeaky brakes. If it is just light pitting I would just have them resurfaced. If the pitting is severe and you can see it only gets worse as you cut into the rotor (sometimes they do that, rusting from the inside) than you may consider just replacing them.

Understood. So, I'll find a place that can turn them, and get a price and then bring them there and if they say they can't turn them because of that reason, I get new ones. If they turn them, then I cna hold off for a while. And then I can put the rotor back in and replace the pads.

Also, I have to see what the dealer says concerning his diagnosis of the problem, I'll ask him to be more specific.
Unread 07-20-2004, 10:32 AM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Verify that the rotors are not composite before having them turned, only cast rotors do well after they're turned. Any shop that turns rotors can tell you if they're cast or composite.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 10:39 AM   #12
WR4NGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Verify that the rotors are not composite before having them turned, only cast rotors do well after they're turned. Any shop that turns rotors can tell you if they're cast or composite.
ok.

I just got a call from the dealer, guy didn't charge me for the diagosis of the brakes and said when I pick it up he will talk to me about it.

He did, however, charge me 360 for:

Fuel Injection Servicing
Oil Change
Rear Tail Light Fix
Sway Bar Link Fix
Unread 07-20-2004, 11:03 AM   #13
brrempel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He did, however, charge me 360 for:

Fuel Injection Servicing
Oil Change
Rear Tail Light Fix
Sway Bar Link Fix

That's a lot of $ for not much work.
Unread 07-20-2004, 11:11 AM   #14
cravnpup

I hope they ok'd it with you first...

2002 TJ-X (hers) - 4.0, 5 speed, 3.73's (open), 2" BB with 32" BFG AT's on AR23's, Turbo City intake, 180* t-stat with highflow housing, and a Magnaflow 14" catback with straight pipe (can you say loud?)..
cravnpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2004, 11:21 AM   #15
fyrfyter43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Verify that the rotors are not composite before having them turned, only cast rotors do well after they're turned.
I would have to disagree with you. Composite rotors can be resurfaced, without problems, provided that the correct adapters are used.
fyrfyter43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.