Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

brake noise

927 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  limeTjTerror 
#1 ·
So I haven't officially pulled the wheels off to see, but there has been a high pitched noise on my passenger side. It only happens when I lightly press the brakes coming to a stop. If I push the pedal farther down it stops. There is no grinding or metal on metal sound so I know that I'm not digging into the rotors yet. I know that there is a little sensor thing that will give off a high pitched noise when the pads are getting low, but that should be any time that the wheel is being turned right? Could it be dust on the brakes and they need to blown off? Again, I haven't pulled anything to see yet. Just wanted to see if anyone thought it would be an easy fix before I start looking for money to replace pads or otherwise.

#2 ·
I have an '03 and I am having the same thing happen...best I can tell from riding in the passenger seat while someone else drives is that its the passenger rear brake

#3 ·
It could still be that little tab on the pads ( I pull mine off whenever I put new pads on). When you press the brakes, the pads (and tab) get closer to the rotor to make contact. The tab will make that noise when it's first starting to get low and louder and more continuous as the pads get lower.

Also check to make sure you didn't bend the dust shield in towards the rotor. Probably not, but I would check anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.