Brake Lights not working...all other lights work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake Lights not working...all other lights work

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 12-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Dashash
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Brake Lights not working...all other lights work

My two brake lights do not work on my 04 LJ. Turn signals, hazards, running lights, headlights are all working. When I depress the brakes though, the brake lights just don't light up!

I'm not very electrically inclined FYI. Thanks in advance for the help and Merry Christmas.

David

Dashash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Look at the upper part of the brake pedal and find the switch. It may have come unplugged or knocked off the bracket.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
possumbelly1
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Fuse. Look behind the glove box.
possumbelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 03:58 AM   #4
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do you still have the third brake light? If so does it work? If the third brake light works the problem is the turn signal switch.

If the third light doesn't work check the contacts at the tailgate are clean and don't have anything trapped between them.

If it's the turn signal switch sometimes the brake lights will work after cycling the hazards on and off several times to wipe the contacts.

If the third brake light still doesn't work check fuse 2 behind the glove box. If that's OK check for voltage at the pink/dark blue wire at the stop lamp switch. When activated the switch should supply voltage to the white/tan wire which feeds third brake lamp and turn signal switch.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
Montanagirl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
Do you still have the third brake light? If so does it work? If the third brake light works the problem is the turn signal switch.

If the third light doesn't work check the contacts at the tailgate are clean and don't have anything trapped between them.

If it's the turn signal switch sometimes the brake lights will work after cycling the hazards on and off several times to wipe the contacts.

If the third brake light still doesn't work check fuse 2 behind the glove box. If that's OK check for voltage at the pink/dark blue wire at the stop lamp switch. When activated the switch should supply voltage to the white/tan wire which feeds third brake lamp and turn signal switch.
I'm having this same issue on my 02 Sport. I have no brake lights including the third light . . .I do have turn signals and backup lights --I have checked fuses (both under the hood and behind the glove box), checked connections at tailgate, as well as cycled the hazards (which work). I do not have the third light either so I'm thinking it's the switch . . does anyone have a detailed photo of where to find this (besides at the top of the brake pedal) and what does it look like so I'll know when I find it? It's a tight fit trying to find it.
Montanagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure to wiggle the connector off the switch first, makes it easier. Then twist the switch from the bracket. Look here for pictures.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/br...t-work-989757/
Unread 09-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
madmilitia
2000 TJ Wrangler 

had the same issue in my 00 wrangler, there is a fuse in the glove box that controls them,

my issue was an old license plate got shut into the tail gate door and popped the fuse and then the wires melted togther.

checked the fuse if it pops everytime you touch the breaks you got melted wires, easy to fix
RJC #600
colorado jeep club #269

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wranglicon-my-build-thread-1091056/] [COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Project Wranglicon my build [/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"]Don't grammer cop me, if you can't understand what i'm trying to say it's you not me that needs to change.[/COLOR][/CENTER]
madmilitia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
Montanagirl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmilitia View Post
had the same issue in my 00 wrangler, there is a fuse in the glove box that controls them,

my issue was an old license plate got shut into the tail gate door and popped the fuse and then the wires melted togther.

checked the fuse if it pops everytime you touch the breaks you got melted wires, easy to fix
Wow, that may be the case as I'm on my third fuse --thought the first time they went out might have something to do with my newly installed trailer hitch wiring. . .and then wheeling in some puddles-- Replaced it and the brake lights worked . . now they aren't again. So these melted wires would be found near the switch?
Unread 09-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Montanagirl
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuder View Post
Make sure to wiggle the connector off the switch first, makes it easier. Then twist the switch from the bracket. Look here for pictures.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/br...t-work-989757/
Excellent, thanks! Now if I could just find a diagram of how I'm supposed to position my body to get this sucker out!
Unread 08-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
Jackobotzie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Multifunction Switch...

So I thought I would reply to this thread and offer some insight...

I had the same issue on my 97 TJ. Blinkers, Hazards, Tailights, everything worked except the brake lights.

I went through the full host of solutions -

Replaced both brake lights,
Replaced the brake switch under the dash,
Retraced the entire brake cable assembly to look for any sort of damage...

Ultimately I ended up seeing on another forum that the brake lights, tail lights, blinker are all routed through the multifunction switch which is located inside the steering column under the hazard light switch. This controls the flashing functions of blinkers, and hazards, and ultimately the brake lights are also controlled through there.

I guess there was some corrosion or a poor connection on mine because when I sprayed into the steering column with electrical cleaner spray the brake lights began working again. Probably only a stop gap solution, but now I know where the problem is...
Jackobotzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #11
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanagirl View Post
Excellent, thanks! Now if I could just find a diagram of how I'm supposed to position my body to get this sucker out!
Does this help?

Melted wires could be anywhere along their length. The turn signal switches can be problematic, though the early types are probably more so. In case there is an internal short in the switch. There is a continuity test for the switch in the factory service manual - linked in my sig if you don't have one. It should be in the lighting section.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #12
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bumping this old thread to thank Jonny Jeep for coming thru once again.

Lost my brake lights earlier today and just got them fixed after doing a search and finding this. Cycling the hazards didn't help but digging in there and unplugging it did. I would have never guessed the problem would be there.

Jon, I found the source of my fast blinking right turn signal, its the connector being melted. I guess im going to have to hurry up and change it. It's causing all sorts of problems. Im hoping for some warmer weather since its tight back there and i get crippled when my fingers are cold. BTW, I'll just pick one up from the dealership so im working with a brand new unit, hopefully this one lasts a couple more weeks as its starting to crumble and fall apart..

Thanks again, this was an easy fix...

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #13
kneuer91

1999 TJ 4.0l Sport. lost my brake lights last night. All other lights work just not the two brake lights. Don't have the 3rd brake light(removed it). I replaced fuses, brake switch, bulbs. Last year I installed the trailer wiring harness, just disconnected that and reconnected the brake light wires and still nothing. What are my options other than the the hazard switch??
kneuer91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.