Brake Light switch replacement/Adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Brake Light switch replacement/Adjustment

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-30-2006, 09:31 AM   #1
SublimeJeep

Brake Light switch replacement/Adjustment

I need to replace/adjust my brake light switch. Anyone have any pointers?
Any help would be great.
Thanks

Unread 12-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Removal
Remove the steering column and the knee protector covers
Push down hard on the brake pedal, and at the same time turn the switch assembly counterclockwise 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and remove the switch
Remove wiring harness

Testing switch

Pull plunger all the way out
Test for continuity between two terminals nearest the plunger, none =replace switch
Push plunger all the way in
Test continuity between the two terminals furthest away from the plunger, none =replace switch

Replacing
Replacing switch is the opposite of removal but pull out the plunger all the way. Once its installed pull the brake pedal as far up as you can. You should hear that ratcheting sound as the switch adjusts itself.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
SublimeJeep

Thanks
I just finished it up a little bit ago. Didn't take much more than 45 min.
Pretty straight forward
Unread 10-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
4bangerWrangler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

This thread helped me today. After reading this I ran to the parts store and bought a brake light switch. 20 minutes later my brake lights were working again. Thanks guys!
4bangerWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.