Bouncy, Bouncy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bouncy, Bouncy

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 04-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
Bears Fan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bouncy, Bouncy

Last night I installed my 2.25" coil spring spacer lift. I was trying to save myself some $ by just getting the spacers without new shocks. I noticed last night on the way home after the install the Jeep seems to have a lot more bounce. If I had purchased new shocks, would that have helped out my situation?

Unread 04-25-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Yes. the correct length shock will help. I tried running the 2.25" BB with stock shocks while I was deciding on brands, and it rode horrible.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
Bears Fan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What kind of shocks did you end up getting?...and how is the ride now?
Unread 04-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
VZEHLER
2006 TJ Wrangler 

New shocks will help, but, even with new shocks you can't expect it to ride like it's stock. By adding the coil spacers you've changed the geometry of the suspension (i.e. control arms, etc) and it will not ride as good as it used to with the control arms extended out. The only way to get a better ride is to do a complete kit or even better a long arm kit.
VZEHLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
tjthorson
2014 JK Wrangler 

I actually disagree with this. I added a 2.25 spacer lift - and even added an extra .75 in the front to compansate for the rake. I used hydro 7000 shocks to replace the gas charged shocks that came stock. My jeep rides smoother and less harsh then it ever did for the first 14K miles.

It is so much smoother on the highway now, and less bouncy around town. I think it is the fact the shocks are not gas charged, and have a much bigger barrell then the stockers. Just get new, longer shocks, lots of people swear by OME shocks - but those Hydro 7000s are tough to beat, for the ride, or the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZEHLER
New shocks will help, but, even with new shocks you can't expect it to ride like it's stock. By adding the coil spacers you've changed the geometry of the suspension (i.e. control arms, etc) and it will not ride as good as it used to with the control arms extended out. The only way to get a better ride is to do a complete kit or even better a long arm kit.
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #50
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Gecko Green (Wife's DD)
Gecko Green Jeep Club Member #1
2005 Yellow Unlimited Rubicon (sold)
My Band! -> http://www.forgethannah.com
http://www.toddsplace.com
tjthorson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
Bears Fan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Who makes the hydro 7000?
Unread 04-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

I used BDS 5500's with the BB and yes, it did ride better than stock. The small amount you change suspension geometry is not an issue on a two inch lift. The much more compliant ride of the BDS shocks over the stiff, stock gas charged Rubi shocks I replaced is what improved the ride.

If you have a rough riding BB lift, it is because of the cheap shocks that may have been included with the kit. Any BB can be made to ride as good or better than stock with quality shocks. You get what you pay for in most instances.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
chiefkp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears Fan
Who makes the hydro 7000?

Skyjacker, I have a 2" BB and hydro 7000. great ride not too stiff and not too soft. Hwy driving is smoother and town driving aint that bad either. Granted I have the longer wheel base.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.