both axles off center - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > both axles off center

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Reply
Unread 12-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Baitcher1
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 19
both axles off center

About 6 months ago I had a 3.25" rc lift put on and it didn't take long for me to realize that my front axle is off about 1/4" to the driver side. I look around and I found that the relocation hole was never drilled for the track bar but that is easily fixed with a adjustable track bar, but I have not purchased it yet. I have just now realized that my rear axle is off the exact same even though the track bar relocation bracket is in place. does any one know how to fix the rear axle and will an adjustable front track bar fix the front axle?

Baitcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Zombi
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 1,460
Adjustables front and rear will allow you to shift that axle pretty much anywhere you'd need it to the driver or passenger side.
__________________
Call me Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbates View Post
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Baitcher1
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 19
Do you have any ideas why the rear axle is off centered even though I have the rear track bar relocation bracket in place? Is it possible that the rear axle was put off centered when I got it aligned sense they would align it to the front?
Baitcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
SocialScot
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 32
If you don't have an adjustable track bar on your rear axle, the position couldn't have been changed by an alignment. A fixed track bar bolted to a fixed bracket means the axle is pretty fixed. It's possible the relocation bracket was installed incorrectly.
__________________
-SocialScot
SocialScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Baitcher1
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 19
I looked at it and I studied the directions and it is installed correctly. I thought that the alignment might have something to do with it but now I am out of ideas. Do you have any more ideas on how this could be fixed other than an adjustable rear track bar? Any more ideas on why the relocation bracket didn't do its job?
Baitcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
SocialScot
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 32
I don't know a whole lot, so I may be way off here. But, the trac[k] bar is the only thing positioning the axle under the frame. If the bracket doesn't move, and the track bar isn't adjustable, and the axle side bolts are in the original hole, how could someone "change the placement of the the axle" ?

Now, when the frame goes up with a lift, the axle is pulled to one side because the bar doesn't get any longer to accommodate the change in distance to the axle. That's part of what a relocation bracket (or better, adjustable track bar) is used for. If the purpose of the relocation bracket is to put the track bar in a position that the axle is centered under the Jeep, and the axle is not centered under the Jeep: all things equal, the relocation bracket isn't doing its job.

I'm not saying you didn't do it right, just that it isn't working. Maybe one end of the bar is bolted through different holes at the frame or axle end? See what options you have for where the ends of the track bar attach. If there is only one possible location on each side, I don't know what else could have been adjusted.

Is there some kind of wonky spacer people throw on there?
__________________
-SocialScot
SocialScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
durango-bob
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Posts: 2,745
The relocation bracket on the rear is used to get the track bar closer to being level. If you add a 3" lift and raise the end of the track bar by 3", you have effectively returned it to the stock location. As you can imagine, as the axle moves away from the frame, the axle end of the track bar will move in an arc. So the center of the axle will shift as the axle moves. You don't absolutely have to have an adjustable track bar to recenter your axle, you could cut and weld it to make it the proper length.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Baitcher1
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialScot
I don't know a whole lot, so I may be way off here. But, the trac[k] bar is the only thing positioning the axle under the frame. If the bracket doesn't move, and the track bar isn't adjustable, and the axle side bolts are in the original hole, how could someone "change the placement of the the axle" ? Now, when the frame goes up with a lift, the axle is pulled to one side because the bar doesn't get any longer to accommodate the change in distance to the axle. That's part of what a relocation bracket (or better, adjustable track bar) is used for. If the purpose of the relocation bracket is to put the track bar in a position that the axle is centered under the Jeep, and the axle is not centered under the Jeep: all things equal, the relocation bracket isn't doing its job. I'm not saying you didn't do it right, just that it isn't working. Maybe one end of the bar is bolted through different holes at the frame or axle end? See what options you have for where the ends of the track bar attach. If there is only one possible location on each side, I don't know what else could have been adjusted. Is there some kind of wonky spacer people throw on there?
The Jeep Hut was the one to install it but I checked the bolts and there is only one part that is able to be adjusted and it is not a bolt that would change the location of it.
Baitcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
apaTJ
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 320
One of two things happened. Either the bracket was installed wrong or you have more lift than the bracket is intended for. Did the drop bracket come with the kit? Was there possibly a budget boost already installed in the rear before you did the lift? The only other very unlikely possibility is that the trac bar is bent a significant amount.
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
Baitcher1
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by apaTJ
One of two things happened. Either the bracket was installed wrong or you have more lift than the bracket is intended for. Did the drop bracket come with the kit? Was there possibly a budget boost already installed in the rear before you did the lift? The only other very unlikely possibility is that the trac bar is bent a significant amount.
The bracket came with the kit and it seems to be installed correctly but I could be wrong. I have looked up the directions and I have looked under the jeep and I could not see anything wrong with the way that it was installed again I could be wrong though. The track bar does not seem to be bent. To my knowledge there was no prior modifications to the suspension in anyway at least none that I noticed before hand. The only thing that I can think of is an adjustable track bar but I am kind of short on money. I am open to any other ideas.
Baitcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
spdcat01TJ
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitcher1
The bracket came with the kit and it seems to be installed correctly but I could be wrong. I have looked up the directions and I have looked under the jeep and I could not see anything wrong with the way that it was installed again I could be wrong though. The track bar does not seem to be bent. To my knowledge there was no prior modifications to the suspension in anyway at least none that I noticed before hand. The only thing that I can think of is an adjustable track bar but I am kind of short on money. I am open to any other ideas.
If the rear is offset to the same side as the front, take that bracket off. Without any track bar changes, a lift offsets the front to drivers side, and the rear to the passenger side.
__________________
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

NRA Member
'01 TJ Sahara, 3" BB front, 2.25" BB rear, 1.25 JKS BL, 1" MML, Skyjacker Hydro shocks,33/12.50x15 BFG TA/KO All Terrains homemade disco's, Hi-Lift, CB, GPS
spdcat01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
goodwrenchdave
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: near Montreal, Quebec Canada
Posts: 364
The relocation bracket has to match the lift . I think you got a 2.5 lift relocation bracket with a 3.25 lift. hence the off center. RC only sells the 2.5 bracket as far as I can see.....anything greater you get their adjustable trackbars .
to which side is the rear out more?
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
geroux
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 642
There is no beating an adjustable track bar, front and rear. Those relocation brackets get ya in the ballpark.
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
Baitcher1
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwrenchdave
The relocation bracket has to match the lift . I think you got a 2.5 lift relocation bracket with a 3.25 lift. hence the off center. RC only sells the 2.5 bracket as far as I can see.....anything greater you get their adjustable trackbars . to which side is the rear out more?
It is out about 1/4" on the driver and inward 1/4" on the passenger side.
Baitcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #15
Slobert
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Federal Way, WA
Posts: 144
It sounds like the relocation bracket wasn't matched up to the amount of lift. On the other hand, I wouldn't sweat a 1/4 inch.
Slobert is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.