Bolt on trailer hitch receiver? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bolt on trailer hitch receiver?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-02-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
Scottsdale Jack

Bolt on trailer hitch receiver?

Can anybody recommend an off the shelf, bolt on, heavy duty trailer hitch? I want the receiver type where you slide in your ball mount. I know there are several manufacturers but I'd prefer to get one that somebody here recommends. I want the strongest one I can get. Thanks in advance.

05' TJ Sport, I6 auto, box stock.

Scottsdale Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
jasonX

I have the round tube Hidden Hitch . . . Click Here

Works great and was easy to install

Jason
Unread 02-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #3
treehugger

I have the square tube hidden hitch. Also easy to install and works good. It was also the most reasonably priced I could find locally. I also recommend the plug in wiring harness. Its about $20, but saves having to cut into your wiring.
Unread 02-02-2005, 07:50 PM   #4
ramz

I just bought a hitch for my rubicon and it is a class 3 hitch for 110 bucks
Didnt really need a class 3 but if i need to resale it will help
Good luck
http://joes.us/catalog/
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
jc_tj
1972 CJ5 

I also have the square style Hidden Hitch with the 2" receiver. I bought it as a package deal with the hitch, bike rack (holds up to 3 bikes and slides right into the receiver) and the key locking pin. Got it from Acme Jeep for a great price. I also recommend getting the plug in wiring harness to make the install easier.

The hitch has a higher rating than the TJ's towing capacity and looks like it's built to last. I have an 8 ft. utility trailer that I use to haul all kinds of "stuff" and it has worked out very nicely. No trouble what so ever. The bike rack works great too!

Only disadvantage to a bolt on hitch like this would be that it will decrease your rear clearance if you do any serious off roading.

Jeff

72 CJ5
232ci I6 - 3 spd manual
jc_tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #6
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

just don't by the MOPAR hitch from the dealer . . . it bolted up nicely enough . . . but when I slid the ball into the receiver, I noticed that the receiver was welded crooked . . . this really wasn't a huge deal with just the trailer ball . . . but later, when I got a receiver-mounted carrier, the whole f . . . ing thing was sideways . . . come to think of it, the workmanship of the MOPAR tubular side steps left a bit to be desired as well . . . sorry for the rant . . .
Unread 02-02-2005, 09:54 PM   #7
Dragonmaster

I checked everywhere locally and the cheapest I could find in a class 3 hitch was from u-haul. Keep in mind the following prices are Canadian.

U-haul Square- $187 - This hitch is identical to the draw-tite, but u-haul won't admit that draw-tite makes it.
Hidden Hitch square- $295
Draw-tite square- $287
Reese square - $220

Also keep in mind that Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch and Reese are all the sam company now and they have pretty much stopped production to get rid of all the stock that they had when they all combined in October/November 2004 so you may not be able to easily get all the different types anymore. I have heard that they will only be producing the hidden-hitch and draw-tite hitches and the odd reese hitch that fits applications that the other two didn't manufacture for.
Work 2 Live, Live 2 Play, Play = JEEP
Dragonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
nwquadriders
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Yep...what he said.

I've got the Draw-Tite square tube Class III hitch on mine. Super easy install. Call around, because out of 4 local shops, they all quoted different prices. I ended up spending $170. The price of steel has gone up over the last couple of years, making these things a lot more expensive than they used to be. I bought one for a truck 4 years ago, and only paid $85. I about choked when the cheapest I could do was the $170 that I ended up spending.
'04 Solar Yellow Wrangler Unlimited: 3.5" RE Superflex w/ RE Monotube shocks, 33x10.5 BFG MT's, Warn XD9000i winch, Jeeperman Trail Skids & Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier with 1/4 Panel Guards. Skid row engine skid.

NW Quadriders ATV Club
nwquadriders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2005, 10:16 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Remember that any hitch bolted on underneath the bumper will drag badly on uneven terrain if you take your Jeep offroad. A replacement bumper with a built-in receiver hitch is a better solution if you also offroad. Olympic's Rock Bumper is one good choice that integrates the receiever hitch into the bumper instead of underneath it for maxium possible ground clearance.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #10
SpitNine

Another Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Olympic's Rock Bumper is one good choice that integrates the receiever hitch into the bumper instead of underneath it for maxium possible ground clearance.
Another reasonably priced option is the Garvin Wilderness rear bumper with the built in receiver hitch receptacle. Rusty's Offroad has the best price I've found for this bumper.
Thanks.
Garvin Wilderness Front and Rear Bumpers
It's only a machine. You can love it if you want but it will not love you back. VOTE!
SpitNine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2005, 10:39 PM   #11
CreightonRea07

i have the mopar hitch on my Jeep and Other than using it as a recovery point it is useless, It have been bent up so much that it looks like crap and I would should just take it off

2000 TJ Sport
Dana 44
4.0L 5-speed
33x12.50 bfg Muds
MORE sport cage
re 4.5 w/ 3.5 springs
[URL=http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/Creighton-Rea]Pics[/URL]

Little Brother:
'92 Cherokee Laredo
Stock but soon to be lifted
235/75 BFG All-terrains
lots of dings and scratches
CreightonRea07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2005, 10:52 PM   #12
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

ditto on RUSTYS and the GARVIN system . . . ordered mine from him yesterday . . .
Unread 02-02-2005, 11:12 PM   #13
KD5LEF

Don't forget the Jeeperman bumpers. They also have the saftey chain mounts on it as well as d-ring tabs that are welded through. $249.00

3inch OME, JKS goodies, 1.25BL. 33x12.5 BFG KM2's
KD5LEF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2005, 10:30 AM   #14
nwquadriders
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I agree that adding a reciever hitch does decrease ground clearance in the back by a couple of inches...but you've got to remember not all Jeep owners (Yes...even the ones that go off-road) are getting themselves into situations where that extra 2" under the bumper makes that much of a difference. As soon as I start hitting trails where my hitch is dragging, I'll get rid of it in a hearbeat...until then, it'll do the job just fine.
'04 Solar Yellow Wrangler Unlimited: 3.5" RE Superflex w/ RE Monotube shocks, 33x10.5 BFG MT's, Warn XD9000i winch, Jeeperman Trail Skids & Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier with 1/4 Panel Guards. Skid row engine skid.

NW Quadriders ATV Club
nwquadriders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2005, 10:34 AM   #15
ruckapitjeep

are these bumpers rated for towing? thanks!!

sorry to hijack the post!!

Travis
ruckapitjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.