body wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > body wobble

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
leapfaith
2001 TJ Wrangler 

body wobble

I just put not shocks on and I'm getting body wobble. The sway bar connecting rod keeps stripping out which I think is part of the problem. Is there a reason it would continue to strip these. Also I noticed rubber bushings between the frame and where is mounts to the body. Would replacing those get ride of my body wobble?

leapfaith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

If your Jeep is an 01 it is not a JK it would be a TJ.
Unread 09-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

to the forum.

Definitely not a JK since you’ve had it for six years and it has a 4.0 engine. Try the TJ tech forum for more results. One other thing to look for would be the control arm bushings to see if they are worn out. When you say wobble do you mean side to side while just off roading or is it during street driving? Can you be a little more specific and any way to post a pic of the part that keeps stripping out, it would help a lot to diagnose your problem.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
leapfaith
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks all for the feed back. I will get info and a picture up soon.
Unread 09-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

those little bushings between the body and frame need to be there. they are there from the factory. do not remove them.
Utah Jeepcrew #63
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #6
MotoSoul
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to assume that the cup right where the end link connects to the sway bar has come apart. Just go buy a new sway bar end link and put it on or if you plan on modifying the jeep in the future a set of quick disconnects. Driving around with your sway bar half connected makes for some really weird handling dynamics.
MotoSoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
leapfaith
2001 TJ Wrangler 

T

Last edited by leapfaith; 09-24-2011 at 11:27 AM..
Unread 09-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
leapfaith
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE="leapfaith"]I understand the bushings between the frame and body are from the factory. My question would that give me unusual body wobble. I just replaced the swaybar link and that helped. Also replaced the steering rod shock. That helped a lot of the movement. It still feels like the body is floating a little like a bobble head.
Unread 09-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
MotoSoul
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your body mount bushings have nothing to do with the "wobble" you are feeling unless they are not torqued down or your body is rusted out where they connect. You really need to define the whole wobble bit for anyone to help you any further. Either your shocks are toast which will cause it to almost float instead of being firm or you have parts in your steering system that are worn out.

Did you replace the swaybar link and the steering stabilizer at the same time or seperate? Did you check the rear swaybar as well to make sure the links are still good on it as well?

I might also suggest you do a dry steering test to see if you have any play. Have someone in the Jeep turn the wheel back and forth a little bit. It only needs to be just past the point where the wheels start to move. If anything has give before the wheels start to move then you have a problem.

MotoSoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

[quote=leapfaith;12218542]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapfaith
I understand the bushings between the frame and body are from the factory. My question would that give me unusual body wobble. I just replaced the swaybar link and that helped. Also replaced the steering rod shock. That helped a lot of the movement. It still feels like the body is floating a little like a bobble head.
have you checked all of your body mount bolts to make sure they arent' loose?
Utah Jeepcrew #63
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
body , chassis , frame , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.