to body lift or not to body lift? atlas trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > to body lift or not to body lift? atlas trouble

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-19-2003, 04:58 PM   #1
twistedtj

to body lift or not to body lift? atlas trouble

We decided to drop that big one ( about 5k all said and done) on the new 6" full traction longarm for out 2K TJ. Here is the problem. The atlas II is not clearing the floor pan, and I think if I index it down it will hit the full traction skid plate. I figure that I have three options. One is to cut the skid and box it down to allow that atlas to fit, the second is to cut the floor pan and allow the atlas to stick up about 1 1/2 inches and then box it in and let carpet cover(don't really like this idea) and the last is to put body lift on. Now understand that I do not like body lift at all, I think it looks cheesy, but 2 inches would clear the atlas and allow easier routeing of the new exhaust around the new lift(whole other problem by itself) Any input would be appreciated. Thanks people.

twistedtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 06:55 PM   #2
Ned97sahara

I wouldn't cut the body and I wouldn't drop the skid or box it out you will lose ground clearance. You may not lose alot of clearance but it may be enough that someday you wish you still had it. I would say the best thing would be the BL. With that much lift you probably won't notice it to much. Or you could try and lower the atlas and put a 1" BL on maybe lower it alittle and the addition of the 1"BL would work. If you only need about an additional 1 1/2 inches than that may work if you can lower the atlas about a half inch without moving the skid plate.

What kind of exhaust are you doing?

Hope this helps.

Ned
3rd jeep:2004 grand cherokee WJ special edition
W/MTR 245/75/R16's (sold for 07 Ranger)
Ned97sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 07:59 PM   #3
twistedtj

Thanks for the advice. I agree that I do not really want to cut and box the skid and sacrifice clearance, that is why I was looking to see if anyone had some suggestions.

As far as what type of exhaust I do not know yet. It all has to be custom bent to clear the new suspension. I think the only way to do it is to put the cat back in the same factory area, then I will need a small aftermarket muffler and past the muffler I will have to turn it up above the rear driveshaft(tight to the floor) and then back out the rear near the factory location. That was the other reason for the body lift cause the I could run it above the control arm brackets without interfearing with suspension travel.

I have not come up with a complete plan for the exhaust because I have yet to cycle the suspension and see where all it moves. Any suggestions on the exhaust are also welcome.
twistedtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 06:41 AM   #4
Owen

BL is the only way to go in this case IMO... I would do neither of your other ideas...
Unread 08-20-2003, 07:15 AM   #5
mxg342
1984 CJ7 

I would say try the 1" BL and a 1" MML. This might give the t case enough drop to allow it to clear the tub.
'84 CJ-7 Junkyard TBI 360/T18/D300, 4" 4WDH Lift, D44 front with ARB and HS/D44 Rear w/ Detroit, 4.56s, 36" Iroks, TFI, TJ flares, Homemade rocker guards and bumpers with swing out, Optima Yellow Top, M8000, York OBA, 6pt cage
"when you're up to your *** in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original intention is to drain the swamp"
mxg342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 07:57 AM   #6
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg342
I would say try the 1" BL and a 1" MML. This might give the t case enough drop to allow it to clear the tub.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

Plus it'll help atleast a little bit with your rear driveline angles and you also won't have to mess with the fan shrowd.

Good Luck,
Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 08:00 AM   #7
runmanpkll

i wasnt a big fan of body lifts either but had to do one to take care of some rubbing issues. might i recommend the jks 1 1/4" body lift? along with the motor mount spacers. maybe with some pounding (or maybe not) the extra 1/4 inch is all you might need to clear the atlas. the lift doesnt look bad either & will give a little more tire clearance if you need some.

oh, and if you sill need to cut, cut the floor its easier. you can cut the necessary floor space, dome a piece of sheet metal with a hammer, drill holes, pop rivet & use sealer to seal. ive had to do that on other vehicles. its not that hard and held up very well.

Last edited by runmanpkll; 08-20-2003 at 08:14 AM..
runmanpkll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2003, 06:07 PM   #8
Ned97sahara

I had to put a custom exhaust on after I had the RE 5.5 LA kit installed. I chose to go with a glass pack muffler it is nice and slender and gives the I-6 a nice rumble.
3rd jeep:2004 grand cherokee WJ special edition
W/MTR 245/75/R16's (sold for 07 Ranger)
Ned97sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2003, 12:06 AM   #9
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'd got with a 1 inch or so body lift and hammer the hell outta the floorboard. I'm sure you can make it fit.
Unread 08-21-2003, 12:35 AM   #10
bailey

Please let me know what you do and how it works out. Also what you think of the full traction lift. I am wanting to put that same lift on mine in a few weeks and would like imput on the lift from someone that has it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.