To Body Lift or to not? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > To Body Lift or to not?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #31
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat

Robert Yates is a certified Savvy nut swinger that pays others to build his Jeep instead of building it himself. I don't value his opinions one bit. He's converting from a cross over steering set up to the fail boat Currie steering, which IMO tells me that he doesn't do any serious wheeling.

Since you're willing to jump right into the Koolaide when you don't even know what flavor it is, then please tell me how much longer the steering linkage assembly should be when installing a 3" body lift? Did you ever take Geometry in school? 3" over 3' is virtually negligible...

You've jumped up and down in the past in threads where I have posted things that go against the grain of the Jeep forum status Quo, but I have yet to see you ever once post an inteligent reply that backed up your side of the arguement.

So now that you're stepping out into the spot light, please provide a basis for your side of the arguement that is based on actual fact and not on heresay, or speculation....
Yates has been around & giving very accurate, valuable technical advice on this board & others since before the inception of Savvy Offroad. So for you to lump the two together is blatant ignorance. Who's jumping to conclusions now?

So let's play YOUR game hotshot. You say 3" on a 3" shaft is negligible. But at what angle Eistein? 5 degrees? 45 degrees? 85 degrees? At what angle does the joint in the steering shaft become maxed-out? How would you know? Hell, even I remember Opie Had A Handful Of Apples (if you don't recognize the phrase you won't figure it out. Hint: simple trig).

The only reason I posted earlier was to make light of your useless drivel. You tend to totally ruin any good tech in most threads due to your incessant need for everyone to "dumb it down" for you.

Feel free to discuss. At least I get to go back to ignoring you.

My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #32
BigSkip

New to this thread but my bro has a 79 CJ 5/ he also had a 3 inch body. That said his swivel joint or coupler whatever its called went out about a year later. So instead of doing a Puck lift as he did I bought a kit off eBay for my tj and it came with a slight extension. So yes you should spare no expense when lifting no matter how you do it.
BigSkip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #33
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Geometry is the same reguardless of which coast we are on. If you have a 3 foot lever and lift one end of it up by 3 inches, how much longer does it have to be to still connect point A to point B?

not trying to start a fight here... but the issue isn't the length of the shaft, it's the u-joint binding when one end is raised up. the EXACT same reason why an SYE/CV joint is needed with a suspension lift.

some companies include a lifting block to place under the shaft to relieve some stress off that u-joint and make that 3" lift not so critical.
NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #34
BigSkip

Yea that's what I was agreeing with bro. It ran me about 50 bucks more then a lift with just blocks and bolts
BigSkip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #35
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Robert Yates is a certified Savvy nut swinger that pays others to build his Jeep instead of building it himself. I don't value his opinions one bit. He's converting from a cross over steering set up to the fail boat Currie steering, which IMO tells me that he doesn't do any serious wheeling.

Since you're willing to jump right into the Koolaide when you don't even know what flavor it is, then please tell me how much longer the steering linkage assembly should be when installing a 3" body lift? Did you ever take Geometry in school? 3" over 3' is virtually negligible...

You've jumped up and down in the past in threads where I have posted things that go against the grain of the Jeep forum status Quo, but I have yet to see you ever once post an inteligent reply that backed up your side of the arguement.

So now that you're stepping out into the spot light, please provide a basis for your side of the arguement that is based on actual fact and not on heresay, or speculation....

I wish they would just ban you already............
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #36
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg

not trying to start a fight here... but the issue isn't the length of the shaft, it's the u-joint binding when one end is raised up. the EXACT same reason why an SYE/CV joint is needed with a suspension lift.

some companies include a lifting block to place under the shaft to relieve some stress off that u-joint and make that 3" lift not so critical.
Exactly.

That's the entire point. It's not primarily a connection that's at stake, the longer shaft or the riser bracket will take stress off the joint.

That's why a more comprehensive kit like the one from M.O.R.E. is a better option than throwing on 3" body mounts & calling it good.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #37
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

LOL.... I have built and taken more crap off my Jeep than you have yet to put on so go ahead and keep on thinking I don't know anything. Fact of the matter is your steering is compromised.

As for serious wheeling..... I've pretty much wheeled most of the western trails you east coasters can only dream about.... Even did a little competitive spotting for WEROCK. You have no clue... About me or for that matter, Jeeps.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #38
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

BL conversation, I'm in.

My opinion: The BL, while it does have its purposes, is completely unnecessary. Gaining actual suspension travel when lifting is more beneficial as opposed to just making clearance with no other gain. As for making room for other installations, it comes down to how creative you are willing to get.
The BL definitely is an easier, less expensive means to accomplish certain task when modding a Jeep though.
Then there is appearance, no comment.
Unread 06-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #39
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -sean- View Post
BL conversation, I'm in.

My opinion: The BL, while it does have its purposes, is completely unnecessary. Gaining actual suspension travel when lifting is more beneficial as opposed to just making clearance with no other gain. As for making room for other installations, it comes down to how creative you are willing to get.
The BL definitely is an easier, less expensive means to accomplish certain task when modding a Jeep though.
Then there is appearance, no comment.
BL conversation, I'm in.

My opinion: The BL while it does have it's detractors is completely necessary if you don't have the time, fab skills, creativity, and money to throw at your rig to get the most clearance (in moderation) to make your rig more capable offroad.

There is simply no other modification that offers more bang for your buck than a 1 or 1.25" body lift.

At the end of the day, your terrain will tell you it's value.
Unread 06-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #40
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The factory steering shaft between the firewall and the steering gear box is around 2-3 feet long. A rise of 3" on one end of the steering shaft will affect it's over all length very negligible.
You should go look at your steering upper and intermediate shaft before you comment. What's that thing right in the middle that's bolted to a frame mount? Peek in from the side right behind the driver's side upper shock mount.

Unread 06-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #41
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You should go look at your steering upper and intermediate shaft before you comment. What's that thing right in the middle that's bolted to a frame mount? Peek in from the side right behind the driver's side upper shock mount.

I don't need to look to know you and they are right about that. The actual shaft isn't 3 feet long, it's closer to a foot long. Now that the issue is more clear as to what they are talking about I see that that I was on the wrong page completely. I thought they were talking about extending the steering shaft itself, not raising the carrier bearing. I'm aware of the M.O.R.E. lift for the steering, I was actually working on someones Jeep yesterday that has it installed.

I appologise to Robert Yates, Rubi Razor, and the Forum for being a d-bag.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #42
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't need to look to know you and they are right about that. The actual shaft isn't 3 feet long, it's closer to a foot long. Now that the issue is more clear as to what they are talking about I see that that I was on the wrong page completely. I thought they were talking about extending the steering shaft itself, not raising the carrier bearing. I'm aware of the M.O.R.E. lift for the steering, I was actually working on someones Jeep yesterday that has it installed.

If it helps, when I see the need, I don't do a lift block. I cut the bearing mount and add a section under the bearing and raise it that way.
Unread 06-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #43
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

nothing wrong with admitting that you were wrong. that sounds funny.

NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #44
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanx... steering and brakes always seem to to be underestimated by folks when they first get into Jeeps. I was simply trying to help you out.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #45
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
BL conversation, I'm in.

My opinion: The BL while it does have it's detractors is completely necessary if you don't have the time, fab skills, creativity, and money to throw at your rig to get the most clearance (in moderation) to make your rig more capable offroad.

There is simply no other modification that offers more bang for your buck than a 1 or 1.25" body lift.

At the end of the day, your terrain will tell you it's value.

TOUCHÉ

Tags
body lift , modifications , susepnsion lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.