To Body Lift or to not? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > To Body Lift or to not?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #16
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg View Post

as far as performance, a body lift gains slight wheel clearances, you gain zero ground clearance. so saying the body lift helped you through obstacles is very hard to believe. Not hating on you or your rig, just stating what I feel.

and as stated above, with that much BL you are putting a lot of strain on those mounts at any type of angle.
Zero? Are you sure about that?

How much strain do they see? There are 10-12 body mounting bolts on a TJ. There are only 8 mounting bolts on most leaf spring suspensions, and they all seem to survive just fine even though they see much more strain than a 3" BL sees...

2006 LJ SOLD!
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

a body lift simply lifts the body from the frame. the control arms, skid, bumpers and frame itself are still the exact same height.

I guess if you were worried about rubbing your fenders and tub on the ground, then yeah you'd be gaining ground clearance, but I'm saying that with complete sarcasm.

as for the mounts having more strain upon them with a 3 inch puck between the tub and frame, that's pretty self explanitory. Ever notice how a longer stick is easier to break than a shorter stick?
NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
Matt Graham
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard the line about increased stress on body mounts with the 3" body lift for the last 20 years and in all of that time I have never once known the first person to actually experience anything negative related to that increased stress. I know that theoretically it is true, but the likelihood that you'll see any negative results from it is slim to none.

I ran a 2" BL on my old YJ and you couldn't see the gap in the front or rear due to the bumpers, and on the side the sliders blocked the gap, and overall the jeep looked great. I say the best advice is do what fits your budget, and what helps your Jeep do what you want it to.
Unread 06-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #19
CrankyGypsy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

(OP is only considering a 1" BL ...the jeep already has 4" SL.)

if you're still considering it, go for the Daystar Poly 1" BL. it's not as "ugly" or stressed as the higher mounts mentioned. not only do you get tire clearance, it also helps with any future MML and/or TT if you're into that. and the poly mounts noticeably reduce body roll. the only bad thing i can say about the Daystar kit is i wished the poly risers had rounded tops for better fitment - but you can round them yourself.
install is pretty straight forward. i was originally worried about stress on the hard brake lines, but they seem perfectly fine. speaking of brake lines, be mindful of the front soft brake lines length versus droop.
Unread 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
It doesn't hurt my feelings that other folks think 3" body lifts look ugly. I think they look ugly myself. Bang for the buck however they're hard to beat, they work well, and if used correctly they can save people about $500...
Do you have a steering shaft spacer on your rig to go with that body lift?
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
Do you have a steering shaft spacer on your rig to go with that body lift?
No sir, the factory steering shaft worked fine.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #22
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No sir, the factory steering shaft worked fine.
....until it fails. Seriously, take a look at your steering shaft and give it once over. A 3" body lift is probably the upper end for what the stock shaft can accommodate.
Unread 06-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #23
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
....until it fails. Seriously, take a look at your steering shaft and give it once over. A 3" body lift is probably the upper end for what the stock shaft can accommodate.
The factory steering shaft between the firewall and the steering gear box is around 2-3 feet long. A rise of 3" on one end of the steering shaft will affect it's over all length very negligible.

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 06-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
NBMgreg
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The factory steering shaft between the firewall and the steering gear box is around 2-3 feet long. A rise of 3" on one end of the steering shaft will affect it's over all length very negligible.
i think it might have something to do with the "u-joint" in the shaft binding. Not too sure though.

i know i removed a 1" block from under the steering shaft when i cut my body lift in half.
NBMgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #25
wtbiv73

I'm glad that you guys think its ok for a body lift, that's gonna be my first step in a 35" tire'd, stock axle'd, tj.
wtbiv73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #26
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMgreg View Post
i think it might have something to do with the "u-joint" in the shaft binding.
Yep.... but us west coasters who have been playing with TJ's for a long time don't know nuthin' according to some of the folks who have showed up here recently.
Unread 06-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #27
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates

Yep.... but us west coasters who have been playing with TJ's for a long time don't know nuthin' according to some of the folks who have showed up here recently.
Don't get him all riled up. Tat's crawled to the summit of Everest with an LCOG Miata on 40s.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #28
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Geometry is the same reguardless of which coast we are on. If you have a 3 foot lever and lift one end of it up by 3 inches, how much longer does it have to be to still connect point A to point B?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Don't get him all riled up. Tat's crawled to the summit of Everest with an LCOG Miata on 40s.
I don't believe in the LCOG fad, so please try to be a bit more informed when you try to insult me. :Pirate double flip off: <--- I know it doesn't work on Jeep Forum, but it fits just fine in your case...

2006 LJ SOLD!
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #29
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat
I don't believe in the LCOG fad, so please try to be a bit more informed when you try to insult me. :Pirate double flip off: <--- I know it doesn't work on Jeep Forum, but it fits just fine in your case...
Learn the difference between insult (not intended above) and skepticism (coupled with slight ridicule).

Yates wouldn't have brought it up if it weren't pertinent. More (no pun intended) complete 3" body lift kits will come with an extension for the sector shaft or at least a riser bracket to take stress off the joint. They don't do that just for gits & shiggles.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #30
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Learn the difference between insult (not intended above) and skepticism (coupled with slight ridicule).

Yates wouldn't have brought it up if it weren't pertinent. More (no pun intended) complete 3" body lift kits will come with an extension for the sector shaft. They don't do that just for gits & shiggles.
Robert Yates is a certified Savvy nut swinger that pays others to build his Jeep instead of building it himself. I don't value his opinions one bit. He's converting from a cross over steering set up to the fail boat Currie steering, which IMO tells me that he doesn't do any serious wheeling.

Since you're willing to jump right into the Koolaide when you don't even know what flavor it is, then please tell me how much longer the steering linkage assembly should be when installing a 3" body lift? Did you ever take Geometry in school? 3" over 3' is virtually negligible...

You've jumped up and down in the past in threads where I have posted things that go against the grain of the Jeep forum status Quo, but I have yet to see you ever once post an inteligent reply that backed up your side of the arguement.

So now that you're stepping out into the spot light, please provide a basis for your side of the arguement that is based on actual fact and not on heresay, or speculation....

2006 LJ SOLD!

Tags
body lift , modifications , susepnsion lift

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.