JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   To Body Lift or to not? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/body-lift-not-1383180/)

Blakecognata6 06-19-2012 03:18 PM

To Body Lift or to not?

So i recently installed my Rough Country 4 inch x-series lift. I'm running 35x12.50x15 inch tires which is clearly fine with every day driving but i don't have a ton of clearance in the back. Its obvious by looking at it that im not going to perform well on trails.

My question is would a one inch body lift be a bad purchase? and if i were to get one what other modifications would i have to make.

Ironhead 06-19-2012 03:21 PM

have you cycled your suspension? that will tell you if its needed or not.

i am pro BL for later upgrades like tummy tuck and to raise the gas tank.

only other mods would be some work on the TC linkage and i would recommend a motor mount lift at the same time

NBMgreg 06-19-2012 03:26 PM

mine had a 3" body lift and nothing else when i bought it. Completely ridiculous. I chopped that lift in half, and am happy with it. I do plan to do a tummy/tank tuck in the future so it is needed.

it's an easy, cheap way to get a bit of wheel clearance. I'd say go for it. Or look into tube fenders. As stated above, depending on how big you go, you'll prob need to do some mods to the gas tank filler tube, transfer case linkage, etc. Mine even had a steering shaft block, and radiator shroud lowering brackets. these were removed when i down graded though.

Blakecognata6 06-19-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBMgreg
mine had a 3" body lift and nothing else when i bought it. Completely ridiculous. I chopped that lift in half, and am happy with it. I do plan to do a tummy/tank tuck in the future so it is needed.

it's an easy, cheap way to get a bit of wheel clearance. I'd say go for it. Or look into tube fenders. As stated above, depending on how big you go, you'll prob need to do some mods to the gas tank filler tube, transfer case linkage, etc. Mine even had a steering shaft block, and radiator shroud lowering brackets. these were removed when i down graded though.

I actually did purchase metalcloak tube fenders so I'm not particularly worried about the front.. It's just my rear tires I'm concerned about but thank you for the advice

TheBoogieman 06-19-2012 04:09 PM

Most people use a 1.25" BL.

Necromancer_tat 06-19-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBMgreg (Post 13745120)
mine had a 3" body lift and nothing else when i bought it. Completely ridiculous.

Why rediculous?

_KONG_ 06-19-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat (Post 13745367)
Why rediculous?

When it comes to cosmetics theres no right or wrong. Unfortunately for you most people think a 3" bl looks ugly. Whether or not that hurts your feelings is a different matter

Necromancer_tat 06-19-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _KONG_ (Post 13745560)
When it comes to cosmetics theres no right or wrong. Unfortunately for you most people think a 3" bl looks ugly. Whether or not that hurts your feelings is a different matter

It doesn't hurt my feelings that other folks think 3" body lifts look ugly. I think they look ugly myself. Bang for the buck however they're hard to beat, they work well, and if used correctly they can save people about $500... :thumbsup:

_KONG_ 06-19-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat (Post 13745758)
It doesn't hurt my feelings that other folks think 3" body lifts look ugly. I think they look ugly myself. Bang for the buck however they're hard to beat, they work well, and if used correctly they can save people about $500... :thumbsup:

Well looks aside you can argue functionality. But if your only basis is cost, its not a very strong argument for body lifts. Ill let someone more knowledgable then me explain why they may or may not be good. But on looks alone i would never consider a 3"

Ironhead 06-19-2012 05:55 PM

because with that much of a BL, you risk damaging your actual mount points. its like using a bigger wrench over a smaller one, you get more torque from the bigger one

Necromancer_tat 06-19-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _KONG_ (Post 13745811)
Well looks aside you can argue functionality. But if your only basis is cost, its not a very strong argument for body lifts. Ill let someone more knowledgable then me explain why they may or may not be good. But on looks alone i would never consider a 3"

I run a 3" body lift on my TJ and a lot of folks don't even realize it's there... I pretty much point my Jeep where I want to go and it just goes there... it doesn't care that it's running a 3" BL... the only people who have ever cared were folks that couldn't even follow me through obstacles that I wheeled right on through without any issues.

Necromancer_tat 06-19-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead_Jed (Post 13745956)
because with that much of a BL, you risk damaging your actual mount points. its like using a bigger wrench over a smaller one, you get more torque from the bigger one

I agree that longer body mount bolts exert more side loads.

Imped 06-19-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat (Post 13745968)
I run a 3" body lift on my TJ and a lot of folks don't even realize it's there... I pretty much point my Jeep where I want to go and it just goes there... it doesn't care that it's running a 3" BL... the only people who have ever cared were folks that couldn't even follow me through obstacles that I wheeled right on through without any issues.

The day I can't point out a 3" body lift from a block away is the day I'm blind.

Necromancer_tat 06-19-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 13745998)
The day I can't point out a 3" body lift from a block away is the day I'm blind.

My BL isn't instantly noticable, my front and rear bumpers are designed to hide it for the most part. I can say that the difference between 1.25" and 3" off road is less than most people would think.

NBMgreg 06-19-2012 06:24 PM

When mine had the 3" body lift, you could see daylight between the frame and tub all the way through... it looked silly as hell from a side view. Next time you drive by a big glass building check out your reflection.

as far as performance, a body lift gains slight wheel clearances, you gain zero ground clearance. so saying the body lift helped you through obstacles is very hard to believe. Not hating on you or your rig, just stating what I feel.

and as stated above, with that much BL you are putting a lot of strain on those mounts at any type of angle.

The time now is 10:21 PM.