Body bolts rusted out - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Body bolts rusted out

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Reply
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
mcdcrook
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montgomery, Al
Posts: 61
Body bolts rusted out

I bought a pair of Black Mountain Side/Nerf Bars that attach to the body bolts, no drilling required. I went to install them last night but the body bolt was rusted and had worn away the threads, rendering it unable to be screwed back in.

Here's a picture of the body bolt assembly, with the nerf bar attachment: DSC04833 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here's a picture of the body bolt itself: DSC04836 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

How do I replace this? All the threads are worn almost smooth! Any ideas appreciated.

mcdcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdcrook View Post
I bought a pair of Black Mountain Side/Nerf Bars that attach to the body bolts, no drilling required. I went to install them last night but the body bolt was rusted and had worn away the threads, rendering it unable to be screwed back in.

Here's a picture of the body bolt assembly, with the nerf bar attachment: DSC04833 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here's a picture of the body bolt itself: DSC04836 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

How do I replace this? All the threads are worn almost smooth! Any ideas appreciated.
Are you sure you read the directions on how to install that bracket?
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
mcdcrook
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montgomery, Al
Posts: 61
Yes, I'm pretty sure.
mcdcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdcrook View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure.
Well, if you're sure and that's really the way that bracket mounts to hold a nerf bar, you really should entertain another way of protecting your rockers.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
-dirt-
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,006
I'm here in the Gump too, and I have a set of the stock body bolts I'll give you, if you need them. They wont' work with a body lift though, as they are too short. And I can't tell if you have a BL or not from the pics...
__________________
OME 2.5" HD|285/75R16 Nokian Vatiiva M/T|Skyjacker Hydros|JKS Front Control Arms|JKS Upper Rear Control Arms|1" PA BL|1" Brown Dog MML|Novak 241OR Cable Shifter Linkage
Red Jeep Club Member #565
My Registry Profile

WTB: UnderCover Fab No-Body Lift Skid Plate
WTB: Rokmen or Currie Control Arms
↑ PM me!


Ever had Death Wobble? Please respond to the poll here!
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
Niceface
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 972
Aside from the mounting....the bolt can be bought at any local hardware store. Take the bolt with you and ask for help matching sizes. Your wanting Grade 8 hardware. It will be yellow in color (yellow zinc plated) Course thread.
Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
mcdcrook
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montgomery, Al
Posts: 61
I don't have a body lift, dirt_j00. I's appreciate the bolts! I'll send you a private message for contact info.

My question is, since the threads are worn out, will I even be able to screw a new bolt in? What do I do if the threads in the undercarriage are crapped out?
mcdcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceface View Post
Aside from the mounting....the bolt can be bought at any local hardware store. Take the bolt with you and ask for help matching sizes. Your wanting Grade 8 hardware. It will be yellow in color (yellow zinc plated) Course thread.
Which course... Golf, race, or dinner?
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
-dirt-
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,006
I knew that was coming.
__________________
OME 2.5" HD|285/75R16 Nokian Vatiiva M/T|Skyjacker Hydros|JKS Front Control Arms|JKS Upper Rear Control Arms|1" PA BL|1" Brown Dog MML|Novak 241OR Cable Shifter Linkage
Red Jeep Club Member #565
My Registry Profile

WTB: UnderCover Fab No-Body Lift Skid Plate
WTB: Rokmen or Currie Control Arms
↑ PM me!


Ever had Death Wobble? Please respond to the poll here!
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdcrook View Post
I don't have a body lift, dirt_j00. I's appreciate the bolts! I'll send you a private message for contact info.

My question is, since the threads are worn out, will I even be able to screw a new bolt in? What do I do if the threads in the undercarriage are crapped out?
I'm wondering why you don't have the stock bolts any longer? Are all the bolts like the one in the pictures?
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
mcdcrook
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Montgomery, Al
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I'm wondering why you don't have the stock bolts any longer? Are all the bolts like the one in the pictures?
I only removed, the one, so I'm not sure if the others are the same size. Should they be longer? If so, how long is ideal?
mcdcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdcrook View Post
I only removed, the one, so I'm not sure if the others are the same size. Should they be longer? If so, how long is ideal?
It's not the length, it's the style. Factory is a flange head trilobular thread and very high quality.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
jdub2k5
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: springfield, mo
Posts: 901
heres how my steps are mounted... please stfu about the body lift

__________________
99 TJ 4.0l 5speed, 4 inch suspension 3 inch body, 35 bfg km2 tires
jdub2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.