On-Board Shower - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > On-Board Shower

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
denny472
2000 TJ Wrangler 

On-Board Shower

Hi Folks... Kicking around the idea of a onboard shower, I have seen the heat exchangers that you can buy or build....but I was wondering if the transmission cooler in the bottom of the radiator would be suffient enough to heat the water. I purchased a 3 row radiator and it came with the cooler that isn't being used, it has 3/8" inlet and outlet...Any info welcome....Thanks, Denny

denny472 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

How is the transmission cooler going to heat the water?

I've seen this idea a couple time and I think they made some kind of heat exchanger on the heater core hose.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
How is the transmission cooler going to heat the water?

I've seen this idea a couple time and I think they made some kind of heat exchanger on the heater core hose.
The AT cooler is built into the bottom of the radiator. When the radiator gets hot, so does the contents of the AT cooler. Not saying it is a great way to do it, but that is the theory behind the idea.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny472 View Post
Hi Folks... Kicking around the idea of a onboard shower, I have seen the heat exchangers that you can buy or build....but I was wondering if the transmission cooler in the bottom of the radiator would be suffient enough to heat the water. I purchased a 3 row radiator and it came with the cooler that isn't being used, it has 3/8" inlet and outlet...Any info welcome....Thanks, Denny
It wouldn't be very hard to conduct a simple test to see if you can get enough heat. Get the pump you intend on using....fill up a 5 gallon bucket of water....pump the water through the AT cooler and into another bucket....measure the temp of the water in the 2nd bucket.
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
The AT cooler is built into the bottom of the radiator. When the radiator gets hot, so does the contents of the AT cooler. Not saying it is a great way to do it, but that is the theory behind the idea.
Yeah, might get a bit warm, but not the best way to do it. The coolant is already pretty cool at that point, and you still have the fact that it's being actively cooled.

OP, to be efficient and warm water quickly you need the largest temperature differential. The hottest coolant is going to be at the heater core input hose and upper radiator hose. Being that the heater core hose is longer it will be easier to make a heat transfer system there.

You could replace a portion of the heater core hose with copper pipe, then wrap another piece of copper pipe around that for the water to flow through. Then just insulate the whole thing. Even with the rubber hose, at operating temperature that thing will get to hot to even touch.

Unread 06-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
denny472
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for your replies... I am going to run might come through the system and see what temperature the water comes out
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
denny472
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Shower

Sorry about the reply above...tried to use the iphone voice...looks like it didn't work so well...anyway, I am going to pump water through the A/T cooler and measure the results. And yes Stu, the coolant at the bottom is going to be cooler...but it still should be 150 degree or so. The question would be how many loops are there and will the water have time to absorb the heat....I will let you folks know...Thanks again, Denny
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny472 View Post
Sorry about the reply above...tried to use the iphone voice...looks like it didn't work so well...anyway, I am going to pump water through the A/T cooler and measure the results. And yes Stu, the coolant at the bottom is going to be cooler...but it still should be 150 degree or so. The question would be how many loops are there and will the water have time to absorb the heat....I will let you folks know...Thanks again, Denny
Worth a shot, might get it warm enough to be comfortable.

Unread 06-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
Gordon-0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

who says it has to heat it up in one pass?

run a small pump in a recirculating setup that constantly spins water through the radiator's ATF cooler.
use your main pump to pull water from the tank to the shower.

a shower will be tolerable above 80 or so and will be "comfortable" above 90
water-plumbing.png  
Gordon-0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
Gordon-0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

actually, you can get by with a single pump if you use a spring check valve backwards. like so.
water-plumbing.png  
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon-0 View Post
who says it has to heat it up in one pass?
me
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #12
Gordon-0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson

me
Haha
I just figured that multiple passes through the heat exchanger would give better results
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #13
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was just pulling your chain. Multiple passes might be needed, especially if the inlet water is cold and the flow rate is too high.
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have seen a few of these set up through the transmission cooler inlets on the radiator and the general consensus is that you'll have to have the engine off because the water is too hot. Its a popular mod by those that run long trails like the rubicon in this area.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
Jeep_Tech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

heres an idea seen it done before

Take copper piping and wrap it around a portion of your exhaust about 3ft in lenght with around 18 coils total. the source the pump and source flow at the front of the jeep and the outflow at the rear. jueep running while shower is going and water will be very warm. add or minus coils to increase or decrease temp, and position where when running empty residuale heat isnt an issue for the pump or hoses. mabe use stainless hoses?
Jeep_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.