blown head gasket.. just repair? or total rebuild? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > blown head gasket.. just repair? or total rebuild?

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 09-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
weasel796
1997 TJ Wrangler 

blown head gasket.. just repair? or total rebuild?

So apparently i have a minor blown head gasket... this doesn't give me too much of a problem except on hot days my jeep overheats frequently ( since im in ca.. depending on the weather, hot days are often or infrequent). due to recent events, my jeep will most likely become my daily driver so reliability would be nice (40 mile freeway commute each way). I have a buddy mechanic that estimates $1300-1500(other mechanic quoted 1800+radiator if i wanted a new radiator) to repair the blown head gasket and replace the radiator (it appears to possibly have a cool spot in center and is probably clogged). my question is, should I repair the head gasket and replace the radiator? or should I spend the extra money (how much do you think that will be) to completely rebuild the engine since it has 200k miles. or buy a rebuilt engine and swap it? (im assuming this is more than rebuilding the one I have). I want to eventually (probably 5yrs or so down the road) swap the engine to something bigger. This will be after I put on a 4 inch currie lift, metalcloak fenders, 37+ inch tires, upgraded front and rear axles, ect, and turn it into the go where ever your heart desires machine it deserves to be.

weasel796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
MrRage
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If its blown gasket then there is a good chance something is warped and simply replacing the gasket is not going to be a long term solution... or really even a short term one. So to do it right you will have to have a machine shop resurface both the block and the cylinder head to ensure that they will mate correctly, and to do that they need to take the thing apart anyways.

I would ask a few different mechanics about rebuilding or replacing and mention how many times this engine has been overheated.
MrRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
weasel796
1997 TJ Wrangler 

does anybody know of any good companies/places/prices to pay for a rebuild engine to see if it will be cheaper than my mechanics estimate to completely rebuild mine?
Unread 09-17-2010, 02:44 AM   #4
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If it were me, I would just pull the head, have the head milled flat, and slap it back on, especially if you are on a budget. If you have screwed anything else up further down in the engine, you are already need a complete rebuild, so what do you have to loose other than the price of a few gaskets? You can do the head gasket replacement yourself. I did mine when I was a broke Airman in the Air Force with very little mechanical knowledge. Chilton's manual, lots of online research, and my buddies from work that stopped by to give me tips. Worst case with that, you need to tow it to a shop to have somebody finish the job, and even then, they might cut you a discount depending on how much work you've already done. It's a win win. Just give it a shot.
Unread 09-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #5
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

BTW, does it run good now other than the overheating (which I think is from your radiator, not your HG)? Good oil pressure? What does the oil look like? Are you loosing coolant?
Unread 09-17-2010, 02:54 AM   #6
weasel796
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck View Post
BTW, does it run good now other than the overheating (which I think is from your radiator, not your HG)? Good oil pressure? What does the oil look like? Are you loosing coolant?
not loosing coolant that I notice. oil pressure seems to be good. my only problem is over heating doing 60 mph on 80+ degree days. morning is fine, evening is fine. Radiator may be slightly cooler in the center than around the rest of it. It even over heats with no thermastat which is why they think its a small leak blown head gasket.
Unread 09-17-2010, 02:57 AM   #7
phantom01231
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well Ill tell you right now thats to dang much to replace a blown head gasket in a Jeep. Being as your in Cal there might be a good price diff compared to the east coast though. Now as the post said above about having the block and head checked by a machine shop, if part of that price quote for the gasket replacement is for having that all that checked as well then thats a bit better price. Like I said though I dont know about shops out there in Cal. Doing a head gasket in a Wrangler is pretty straight forward. With the miles you have on it Id do a swap or a complete build up if you have the $$$. Quadratec sells replacement 4.0's for around 1500-1600 I think. Not all sure what they come with. That might be a better solution for you though. As far as the radiator do it yourself. Might be a good time also to get yourself the shop manuals if you havent already.
phantom01231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:01 AM   #8
phantom01231
1997 TJ Wrangler 

check your oil to see if it has a milk shake look to it. If coolant gets in with the oil it will give it a real strange look. That would be a key sign of a blown head gasket.
phantom01231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:28 AM   #9
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Also check to see if there is an oily sheen on top of the coolant. I'm still trying to figure out who told you blown HG and why. Sounds to me like the only problem you have is a cogged radiator and a shop trying to rip you off. That's WAY expensive. For reference, I just had the cam replaced in my jeep which requires head removal and headgasket replacement. It was $1500 for everything including a new cam, lifters, headgasket, oil pump (long story), and other misc. crap. This is in NC though. I understand things cost more in communist CA
Unread 09-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #10
j_niko
2000 TJ Wrangler 

if you're not losing coolant (as the others said, check your oil) and you're not blowing white smoke through the tailpipe, I'm not real sure your HG is blown. That sounds like a radiator or water pump problem.

There should either be some leaking fluid, or exhaust leak coming from the engine while running. Investigate it a little more.

That being said, a blown head gasket is not REAL hard to deal with. It was one of the first jobs my dad had me work with him on. You will need to have a shop mill the head to make sure the surface is plane, but other than that it's pretty straight forward. The only tool that you might not have is a good sized torque wrench. Getting the proper torque on the head bolts (in the right order) is vital.
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Stroke it, I see no other sane response.
Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #12
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf0122 View Post
Stroke it, I see no other sane response.
This.

Seriously though, if you are going to rebuild it anyways, there is no reason not to stroke it. I don't think you need to take the head off though, let alone rebuild it. Have you had anybody do a compression test? If your oil and coolant look good, drive that thing to a different shop and talk to them. Sounds like your shop is trying to rip you off.
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #13
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom01231 View Post
Well Ill tell you right now thats too dang much [$1,300] to replace a blown head gasket in a Jeep.
Agreed..... depending on what they are going to do? Also agree, may not be Head gasket??
But...... ALLDATA lists a replaced Head Gasket on a 4.0L Jeep engine as a 6.5 hr job.
That's for a 4.0L w/ A/C and P.Steering. Full gasket kit will run you $50.00-70.00. (gaskets for both manifolds and head)

With 200k I would have some head work done while in there. Have it cleaned, pressure checked, decked, and put in new valve inserts.
Just had mine done here for $350.00.... with a 5 angle cut on the inserts.
Probably 50% higher price in So. Cal.
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #14
George Dickel

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel796 View Post
not loosing coolant that I notice. oil pressure seems to be good. my only problem is over heating doing 60 mph on 80+ degree days. morning is fine, evening is fine. Radiator may be slightly cooler in the center than around the rest of it. It even over heats with no thermastat which is why they think its a small leak blown head gasket.
I call BS on the dude that diagnosed blown head gasket. I've had a blown head gasket on a 4 banger and V6 (both Fords but doesn't matter) and there were much more obvious signs than what you're describing. I don't even recall either overheating, it just looked like an old steam-engine train going down the road. Both gaskets, when removed had a "crack" roughly the size of a common staple width.
I think I might start with the radiator. In any event, find a friend with mechanical knowledge and do the work yourself.
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOa...ature=youtu.be

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Read more, Post less, Search often
George Dickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #15
RedJeepWoman
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do not repair your blown head gasket, it will blow again! Trust me--I went through it with my 1997 wrangler I had before. For a few more bucks more you can drop a new Jasper engine or other aftermarket engine in your Jeep. When my Jeep blew head gaskets the engine temp. would shoot up to hot after a few minutes of starting the engine. Another tell-tell sign is the leaking of coolant. You might want to get another opinion. But if it is a minor leak in the head gasket you might not leak much coolant. If it is blown--DO NOT REPLACE THE HEAD GASKET. Trust me--you money is better spent on putting a new engine in your Jeep.
RedJeepWoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.