Blowing Steam and leaking coolant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blowing Steam and leaking coolant

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-31-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
Jeepsrfun

Blowing Steam and leaking coolant

My 99 TJ is blowing steam and leaking coolant at the rear of the engine. It's right in the center of the firewall, as best I can tell. It's not at the radiator, the water pump, or where the heat exchange hoses go into the firewall.

Am I looking at a blown head gasket?

Thanks.

Jeepsrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2005, 04:57 PM   #2
Jeepsrfun

Oil looks good

Just checked the oil at the dipstick. Looks good, although it's time for a change.

Heater core maybe?

Thanks.
Unread 05-31-2005, 06:01 PM   #3
JeepTJMan

HMMMM!! I'm not sure on this one. Do you have heat and A/C? Does the heat stink when you turn it on inside the jeep? Is there fluid on the floor inside of your jeep? Pictures would help alot, post some if you can.
JeepTJMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2005, 06:39 PM   #4
Jeepsrfun

Yeah, it has heat and air. Even just the vent started smelling of antifreeze, just a wiff now and then (thought it was the radiator starting to go) about a week ago. On the way home today, I heard the venting steam sound and realized it was me.

No puddling or pooling on the floorboard, although I'm going back out to look under the heater vents. Most of the steam seemed to be coming from the rear of the engine (I-6) just above the transmission hump (auto).

No hoses or anything near it, kind of a puzzler. According to the almost worthless Haynes, looks like heater core may be on other side of firewall from where I saw the steam coming from (never could get a direct look).

It is certainly a puzzle.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepTJMan
HMMMM!! I'm not sure on this one. Do you have heat and A/C? Does the heat stink when you turn it on inside the jeep? Is there fluid on the floor inside of your jeep? Pictures would help alot, post some if you can.
Unread 05-31-2005, 06:55 PM   #5
Jeepsrfun

I think I may have spotted where it was venting through the firewall. It seems the defroster duct comes through the firewall and runs through the engine compartment (if I understood what I was looking at).

I think the blow through was coming through at the bottom of the duct.

Anybody know a good place to get a heater core, or just go OEM?

Thanks.
Unread 05-31-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
Jeepsrfun

Theory of what it is.

Check this theory. The duct is from the outside air vent (at back of hood).

I had the air mix control (hot/cold for heater and A/C) set all the way to cold, so damper should have been full closed. Heater Core blew, pressuring up the chamber where the outside air and heater core air mix. Pressure may have sealed damper even tighter (don't know, kinda all depends on which way it swings). Pressure had to go somewhere, so it blew out around the outside air duct.

Least that's what I'm hoping, since it's only a heater core and not a head gasket. Just luck that I didn't get sprayed with antifreeze or at least dripped upon.

Thanks
Unread 07-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
billyzxcv

Solution?

Was replacing the heater core the solution to your problem? I have encountered the exact same problem with a 2000 TJ 4 cylinder.

If so, what is the level of difficulty replacing the heater core?
billyzxcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Disconnect Battery, drain freon with approved methods (or the freon police will get ya) disconnect a/c from evaporator, disconnect heater core lines, remove steering column ( secure wheel from spinning due to clock spring) remove dash, remove HVAC box, remove heater core, Re-install what you just tore apart, fill radiator, service AC.
Sounds easy doesn't take a wekend & take your time.
Here is what it it looks like with dash removedhttp

Last edited by wushaw; 07-13-2010 at 05:53 PM..
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti freeze , anti-freeze , coolant , head gasket , heater core , leak

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.