Blower Resistor Replacement 05 LJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blower Resistor Replacement 05 LJ

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #31
drunk8gods

Thank you thank you thank you for this write up with the photos.
Just did mine in 15 degree weather. Thankfully it was a quick job, although that green wiring harness was clipped onto the body with plastic plugs. A quick pull allowed me to pull the sensor, along with the green clip, under the floor light space. In and out, 20 - 30 minutes. Now for a mug of coffee and some breakfast.

Thanks again!

drunk8gods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #32
RyanBum
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The blower motor in my 2000 works on all speeds except high, or 4 as its commonly referred to. Would this be the resistor or something else?

Christian Jeep Club Member #47
RyanBum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Its likely the switch. On hi (4) the resistor is by-passed completely. With the switch on hi test for continuity between the top 2 terminals. You can test the blower by jumping the top 2 terminals of the connector. Here is a pic of the connector to help. It is #1 & 5 below that controls the hi speed.
heater-control-switch.jpg  
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #34
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

20-30 minutes he must have been on the hustle...but he did say it was 15 degrees!

Took me about 45...one of those infomercial gooseneck ratchets would have shortened the time dramatically...hmmm excuse to buy tools...most of the time was spent getting the connector apart...if the manufacturer had spent as much time on that connector as in developing the resistor...maybe it wouldn't need replacing.

Great write up! Easy DIY project. Plug to www.wermopar.com for the replacement part.
Unread 05-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #35
ddawsonb
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Pain to get at, but otherwise easy fix

Boundless! Great post and thanks for the pics. This is a post that just keeps giving. I have a 2006 Rubikon Unlimited and lost all speeds except 'hi'. Just knowing the location of this resistor was priceless. A few knuckles scraps later and it was replaced. For those yet to do this fix, go ahead and unscrew the 1 or 2 wiring harness screws under the fan motor to give some slack. Also, that green wiring harness connector in the photo was actually attached to the fan assembly, but will slide up (hard pull) and give you the slack you need to get the resistor out. Without removing that connector I couldn't get the resistor out (not enough play in the wires). Again thanks for the effort in taking the pics and for others who posted there experience as well. Great Forum!
ddawsonb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #36
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks again, glad it was of help

one note some time later my blower motor went out and I tried out a few after market blowers before I found one that was not NOISY. Maybe worth while with original.
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #37
MustangWrangler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have ac again!!

Thanks for this write up

The switch has been jacked on the Jeep for a couple years now and always assumed it was something major. It has been unbelievably hot already here in northwest Florida and I was tired of sweating my *** off and only have the high speed work for the AC.

As others have said...it was a pretty big pain in the *** BUT after a Sam Adams and a sweat soaked shirt I got the thing done!

Unread 06-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #38
hathers
2005 TJ Wrangler 

When the resistor starts going bad, does it happen w/ the lower speeds ? My first two speeds are very weak , it seems the a/c only works on the third setting
hathers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #39
cphilip
2010 JK Wrangler 

In my case it was 1 and 2 speed that went. 3 and 4 were fine. I hear all sorts of combinations of 1, 2 and 3. But it appears 4 is wide open and no resistance so it rarely goes if its a resistor I think. Its often something else.
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #40
goofus
2005 LJ Wrangler 

On my 05 LJ, the lowest two speeds went. I found a Dorman part # 973-025 for $13.40.
2000 SE
1997 XJ
85 FJ-60
goofus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #41
goofus
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Interesting- I replaced mine today and no burn, but corrosion is present and shorted mine. Stupid vent rain drip must have done it, there is paint blistering from the corrosion.
img_0969-1-.jpg  
2000 SE
1997 XJ
85 FJ-60
goofus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #42
ATA
OGSTEL

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Worked perfectly. After procrastinating for over a year I finally fixed this. Took approximately a half hour; most of the time spent trying to remove and re-attach 2 bolts (find a friend with small hands if you don't have swivel socket, I had neither).
ATA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #43
ATA
OGSTEL

2006 LJ Wrangler 

By the way, thank you. The write-up and pics were a life saver.
ATA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #44
Kahunadm
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Boundless (or anyone else),

I'm trying to get that resistor out (already got the 2 screws out...plus 2 more to get some wires out of the way), and the damn thing just seems too long to get out of it's slot. I'm still struggling with it, but started too late and may have to shelve things for the night. Any suggestions for how to gain a little more wiggle room so I can slide that thing the rest of the way out?
Kahunadm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #45
Kahunadm
2004 LJ Wrangler 

OK, I slid the little green thing up and off, and it's now out of the way, and this gave me the room to get the resistor out of the slot. It seemed like I was home free, but now I can't get the little red tab to slide up. It looks like it kind of snaps into place. What's the trick to this???
Kahunadm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
blower , motor , replacement , resistor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.