Blower only works on high - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blower only works on high

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Bill_Dunnigan
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Blower only works on high

Hello all,

My 2005 Jeep wrangler rocky mountain is having an issue. the fan for the heat only works on high. this orignally led me to believe that the blower motor resistor (credit card type) was bad. i bought a replacemnet from rock auto and replaced it. however, it still only blows on high. anyone know of what other components need to be replaced. would it be the relay pack. Anyone know where to get one?

2008 KK - Wife's Grocery Getter!
Bill_Dunnigan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
micklock
2000 TJ Wrangler 

might be the selector switch. Try pushing in on it and see if it works, thats how I knew mine was bad.
micklock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

The next thing I would check is the switch, the one on the control center. You can pull the panel out to get to the switch. Look for signs of melting parts. seems to happen alot.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Melted wires?
Amazon.com: Heater Switch: Automotive
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Howdy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not the switch

I have the same problem, heater blows on high only. I pulled the wires off of the back of the switch, ran a jumper wire from the hot wire to the other three connectors on the plug. The motor only worked on high when I touched the jumper to one connector, nothing on the other two.
Could it be the motor dragging so much it will only spin when turned on high? I don't know if I am explaining this right. Not enough amps on low to turn the motor?

Thanks

Now I own two of them.
Howdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
vis_eclipse6g72
1993 YJ Wrangler 

it is your resistor pack.....there is a pack of 4 resistors in the dash board. the lower you set the control, the more resistors the power goes through to get to the motor and the 5th setting doesnt use a resistor thats why it works...typically you will see this pack and it will be melted.... it should be cheap like around 20-30$. hope this helps.
EDIT: on setting 1 it goes through resistors 1,2,3 and 4. on setting 2 it goes through 1,2 and 3, on setting 3 it goes through 1 and 2 and on setting 4 it goes through resistor 1...setting 5 doesnt go through a resistor its a straight wire...so the first resistor is blown, stoping power from going to any of the other resistors and then to the motor...i edited it to help make it easier to understand...

EDIT: i did not notice you replaced you resistor pack in the original post and cant find how to delete my post....sorry
93 yj 5.3 vortec, custom 3 link, 35/16/15 boggers, sye, xrc-10 winch. Built not bought member #127
vis_eclipse6g72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

If it only works on high = resistor. Behind glove box, 10 mins to swap out. Cheap part.

If only _____ works, or if high doesn't work, it's the back of the switch. Known problem, melted connectors/terminals/wires. Replace the fan speed selector switch. Also a cheap part with maybe 15 mins to change out if you've had the dash out before.
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
Mike07925
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been down this road, its the blower motor resistor. $30 at orielly or wherever you buy parts. Behind glove box as stated before. 15 min job max, 5 for the job itself, 10 for drinking a beer or 2. If the switch only worked on setting 1 and 3, then it would be the fan switch on the dash next to the temp switch. since it only works in 4, the blower motor resistor isnt working, the system pours out only one rate of flow, high speed. the blower motor resistor changes the air flow. I made the mistake of assuming it was the switch, and since dealers wont let u return electrical parts, I blew $45 on the fan switch i didnt need.

Last edited by Mike07925; 12-24-2010 at 07:13 PM..
Mike07925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Howdy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks

Thanks for all reply's so quickly. I will check it out tomorrow, Christmas morning. Have a Merry Christmas.

Howdy

Now I own two of them.
Howdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
xkuzme1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It is a resistor... from quadratec (item number 51215 0004)crown autoparts part number is 4864957. $26

You'll need a 5/16 socket and needle nose pliers.

It'll take you 10 min if you know what your doing... And 12 if you don't. Take out your glove box and look in... Down... On the right.

So easy even a caveman...

X

Ask me why you should not buy anything from 4 Wheel Online
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vis_eclipse6g72 View Post
it is your resistor pack.....there is a pack of 4 resistors in the dash board. the lower you set the control, the more resistors the power goes through to get to the motor and the 5th setting doesnt use a resistor thats why it works...typically you will see this pack and it will be melted.... it should be cheap like around 20-30$. hope this helps.
EDIT: on setting 1 it goes through resistors 1,2,3 and 4. on setting 2 it goes through 1,2 and 3, on setting 3 it goes through 1 and 2 and on setting 4 it goes through resistor 1...setting 5 doesnt go through a resistor its a straight wire...so the first resistor is blown, stoping power from going to any of the other resistors and then to the motor...i edited it to help make it easier to understand...

EDIT: i did not notice you replaced you resistor pack in the original post and cant find how to delete my post....sorry
Where did you come up with this BS???...
Unread 12-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
Justins_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What's BS about it? Sounds like he measured the pins on the actual card. Maybe not right since it's been changed but the general theory about the operation of the resistor network seems correct to me. My resistor network is physically different but it works the same way, I just had the schematics out trying to figure it out the other day.
Justins_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justins_TJ View Post
What's BS about it? Sounds like he measured the pins on the actual card. Maybe not right since it's been changed but the general theory about the operation of the resistor network seems correct to me. My resistor network is physically different but it works the same way, I just had the schematics out trying to figure it out the other day.
There are 4 speeds on the HVAC switch for the blower motor and 3 resistors in the blower motor resistor block.
Calling it BS may have been a bit harsh...
Unread 12-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Mine only works on 1, 2, 3.

Friggin' Jeeps!
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #15
Justins_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure about the newer style but on the older one there is only one resistor. If there are only 3 then it probably uses a mix of 2 of them or something. The rest of the things on mine are just coils, which also provide some resistance. Same principle though. When I get my new one in the mail I'm going to get the resistance from each setting and then measure the current so I can figure out the wattage. I'm thinking that I can get a resistor from radio shack for a few bucks and fix the old one and have a spare. Probably no way to fix the newer ones though.
Justins_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.