Blower Motor Resistor Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blower Motor Resistor Replacement

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 07-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Saisling

Blower Motor Resistor Replacement

Last week my fan stopped working on the three lower speeds in my 06 Rubicon. It only works on high. I figure this is the Blower Motor Resistor so i bought one on eBay. It arrived today.

I looked at it, I figured, two screw holes and a plug... how hard could it be

So I pulled the glove box out of my dash. Looking in, I am assuming that is it, in the lower right corner... covered up by the dash that runs below the glove box. It's sitting just under a yellowish-green connector and has blue, brown, and green wires running nto the plug.

Can someone confirm for me that what I am talking about is in fact the resistor before I pull it out of there? It looks like it's going to be a bear to get to it, and I'd hate to remove it only to find that isn't the piece I want.

The placement looks right and I don't see anythign else... but...

If that is it, anyone have any tips on the best way to get it out?

Sorry, I took a couple pics to illustrate and have them resized, but my pic host is down at the moment. I figured the description was good enough if anyone reading has done this and knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

Saisling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
jsnolan99
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just changed mine Saturday. I used this link. IT has pics. The hardest part was getting it unplugged.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...lower+resistor

JKS 1.25" BL/MML, Dirtworx rear bumper/tire carrier, Custom trimmed OEM flares (thanks JF for the ideas), ZJ tie rod, 4.5" RE Superflex, 315/75 R16's MTR w Kevlar compliments of JJUSA, RC 1.5" wheel spacers, more to come with time & money.....

[B][COLOR="Red"]Stock suspension parts For Sale[/COLOR][/B]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/stock-03-rubi-suspension-1045567/[/url]
jsnolan99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Saisling

Thanks for the link.

That confirms it for me. I am looking at the right piece. THose pics were helpful. I was looking at it from the top and concentrting more on how I was going to get a U-joint and socket on the bolts more than worrying over how to get the cable unplugged. Looks like thats the real trick I hadn't stood on my head yet to see that little red clip... but now that I know it's there I feel more prepared.

Very helpful...
Saisling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
jsnolan99
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not a problem.

Took me about an hour which half of that was getting the wiring harness unplugged from the old resistor.

JKS 1.25" BL/MML, Dirtworx rear bumper/tire carrier, Custom trimmed OEM flares (thanks JF for the ideas), ZJ tie rod, 4.5" RE Superflex, 315/75 R16's MTR w Kevlar compliments of JJUSA, RC 1.5" wheel spacers, more to come with time & money.....

[B][COLOR="Red"]Stock suspension parts For Sale[/COLOR][/B]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/stock-03-rubi-suspension-1045567/[/url]
jsnolan99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
imjbinkc
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just did mine tonight. Only took about 10 minutes. The trick is to unscrew the light and the wire holders that are in the way. Then unscrew the resistor (with the wiring harness still attached). I was able to get in there with my socket wrench no problem. Then just slide the resistor out and then you can easily get the harness off. It would have taken me forever if I tried to remove the wiring harness first. With the resistor out you can get to the backside of the lock and easily pry up the tab.
imjbinkc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I spent an hour trying to get that damn plug undone. When I couldn't get that I started to unscrew the screws and found out I didn't have the right resistor. This was last week and I haven't had the nerve to give it another go.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.