Blower Motor Resistor - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Blower Motor Resistor

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #46
bige2533
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think you have a hole in the cowl that is letting this stuff inside. My resistor shorted out when water from a heavy snow leaked inside. When I went to turn on the heater, I could smell something burning. Then out went the lower fan speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaTJ View Post
Thank you for posting this link, my TJ was only running in high and this did the trick.

What I pulled out looks pretty scary.....

Unread 10-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #47
iCEMAN99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bige2533 View Post
I think you have a hole in the cowl that is letting this stuff inside. My resistor shorted out when water from a heavy snow leaked inside. When I went to turn on the heater, I could smell something burning. Then out went the lower fan speeds.
From what i have heard there is supposed to be a drain of some sort that gets clogged. Something to look into i guess. My first resistor looked like that, my new one still looks new after a year later.... i pulled it out when i did my blower motor.
iCEMAN99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #48
msumike1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have an '06 TJ... today at lunch, the fan started working only on high. It's better than nothing, but obviously it is not going to do. Sounds like my first step should be to replace the Blower Motor Resistor. right?
msumike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #49
randymack
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yes msumike. autopart stores seem to be around $40 but some people say dealerships may have them cheaper.
randymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #50
msumike1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Repair made. All is well again. thanks for the help.
msumike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #51
moparjunkee
1997 TJ Wrangler 

New blower resistor and still only works on high. Now what?

Replaced resistor today with new unit thinking it was going to be an easy fix after reading about it. Got the new one in and still only works on high. Got to the back of the switch and everything looks fine. I get power to 3 of the 4 wires at the resistor plug while switching positions 1-3. Everything seems to be fine. WHAT IS NEXT TO CHECK? I am stumped. I am assuming the blower motor is fine since it runs on high just fine.

Thanks
Unread 02-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #52
yosemitejeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunnyabinus View Post
Mine did the same thing. Only on HIGH(from battery) other speeds(Blower Motor Resistor) nothing.
Do This: GO to you local auto store (advance) and buy a DODGE VAN blower motor resistor. It is EXACTLY the same as Jeep TJ except its $20 cheaper Then check out my install here:

Blower Motor Resistor Install
Hey Nunya,
Did you just ask for the 2000 year Dodge van resistor since your TJ is a 2000? I have a 97 and looked at the part for a 97 van and, from the pics anyway, it looks like the prongs are a little different. I wonder if i should just get one from the 2000 year like yours maybe??
Do you think it would be the same part for both jeeps, 97 and 2000?
Thanks!!
yosemitejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #53
skydiver30960

1999 TJ Wrangler 

My credit card is melting...

BUMP!

I've owned my 99 TJ for about a month now, and at the rate I'm going I will have so many parts boxes that I'll be able to build a house of them.

...which is a good thing because I'm pretty sure my wife is about to kick me to the curb if I don't quit spending money, so it's good I'll have a place to live.

SO, it's the end of August, winter is on the way, and my blower motor works on all speeds but #3. The switch still feels solid, and there have been so many problems with the resistors on threads here that I feel good starting there.

BUT, I also don't like the idea of fixing the resistor when we know the real problem is the blower motor and eventually the resistor will just fail again or worse. Others in similar threads have voiced the same opinion, and mentioned how easy it is to replace the blower motor. SO, in the name of doing it right the first time (and hopefully averting a future vehicle fire) I've ordered both the resistor and blower motor. Amazon.com has them both at a reasonable cost.

When the parts arrive in September (dang super-slow "super saver" shipping) I'll do an install thread (doesn't seem to be one yet) or at least update a couple of the resistor/blower threads with the results...

Ike aka the "I want my Jeep to blow in a good way" guy
skydiver30960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #54
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver30960 View Post
BUMP!

I've owned my 99 TJ for about a month now, and at the rate I'm going I will have so many parts boxes that I'll be able to build a house of them.

...which is a good thing because I'm pretty sure my wife is about to kick me to the curb if I don't quit spending money, so it's good I'll have a place to live.

SO, it's the end of August, winter is on the way, and my blower motor works on all speeds but #3. The switch still feels solid, and there have been so many problems with the resistors on threads here that I feel good starting there.

BUT, I also don't like the idea of fixing the resistor when we know the real problem is the blower motor and eventually the resistor will just fail again or worse. Others in similar threads have voiced the same opinion, and mentioned how easy it is to replace the blower motor. SO, in the name of doing it right the first time (and hopefully averting a future vehicle fire) I've ordered both the resistor and blower motor. Amazon.com has them both at a reasonable cost.

When the parts arrive in September (dang super-slow "super saver" shipping) I'll do an install thread (doesn't seem to be one yet) or at least update a couple of the resistor/blower threads with the results...

Ike aka the "I want my Jeep to blow in a good way" guy
After you do that search for the adding a relay to the circuit to fix the problem for good.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #55
explorerlyon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thought I would add this in about how to test the resistor:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/bl...s-bad-1053626/
Unread 10-16-2010, 01:15 AM   #56
jakesteel1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Could someone please clarify the difference between the 2 resistors for sale here. The years overlap but the resistors are different... I would be purchasing it for an '06.

This one says it would be applicable for years '97 to '05:

JEEP WRANGLER TJ Heater Blower Motor Resistor 1997-2005: eBay Motors (item 300456548560 end time Nov-14-10 15:53:23 PST)

While this one says it is applicable for years '02 to '06:

Jeep Wrangler TJ Heater Blower Motor Resistor 02 - 06: eBay Motors (item 250704191853 end time Oct-29-10 15:45:27 PDT)
jakesteel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 02:04 AM   #57
velocipus

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
The latest edition of JP Magazine has an interesting article on the problem with the switches. Their take on it is that the blower motor gets dirty over time and requires more current to turn it. This over heats the switchs and wiring causing the melted plastic and insulation problems we get. There fix is to wire relays into the wiring between the switch and the motor which removes the higher current draw away from the switch. They did a read on the switch temperature before and after the modification and they saw a significant reduction.
Exactly what happened to my TJ. I smelled a burning smell then one by one all my fan speeds burned out until i was left with high only. Replaced the blower motor resistor and it successfully lightened my wallet, but didn't fix the fan switch problem. I pulled the fan switch and learned that the whole switch was melted badly. Don't know how it didn't start a fire. I replaced the switch module, fixed a vacuum leak while I was in there and wired in relays to each switch position and haven't had a single issue since.
velocipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #58
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesteel1 View Post
Could someone please clarify the difference between the 2 resistors for sale here. The years overlap but the resistors are different... I would be purchasing it for an '06.

This one says it would be applicable for years '97 to '05:

JEEP WRANGLER TJ Heater Blower Motor Resistor 1997-2005: eBay Motors (item 300456548560 end time Nov-14-10 15:53:23 PST)

While this one says it is applicable for years '02 to '06:

Jeep Wrangler TJ Heater Blower Motor Resistor 02 - 06: eBay Motors (item 250704191853 end time Oct-29-10 15:45:27 PDT)
The resistors did change for the 02 model year and the connectors look different in the FSMs. Buy the one which says it fits 02-06. The other one will only fit till 01 models, the seller must have got some misinformation regards the fit.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #59
Slick101
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i cant seem to find where it is i pulled the only thing i see under there with two mounting bolts on it and its something that looks compltely different
100_1608.jpg   100_1607.jpg  
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #60
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's it. The design changed in later models.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.